WWE News - Chris Benoit Killed

HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Yo,I know there are other wrestling heads on SS. Check this out:http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/benoitdeadWorld Wrestling Entertainment is deeply saddened to report that today Chris Benoit and his family were found dead in their home. There are no further details at this time, other than the Benoit family residence is currently being investigated by local authorities.This sounds totally nuts. His whole family? Crazy.h

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Yo,

I know there are other wrestling heads on SS. Check this out:

http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/benoitdead

World Wrestling Entertainment is deeply saddened to report that today Chris Benoit and his family were found dead in their home. There are no further details at this time, other than the Benoit family residence is currently being investigated by local authorities.

This sounds totally nuts. His whole family? Crazy.

h

whoah, this is insane news.

He was such an amazing performer, one of the best students of Stu Hart's dungeon. Rest in peace to the Rabid Wolverine

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    that is sad. He was the epitome of
    I remember hearing about his early matches with barbed wire and c4....

• R.I.P. The Crippler

One of the best workers of our era.

• If any catches a real news link put it up. Or do you know in what city he lived? This is crazy.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    If any catches a real news link put it up. Or do you know in what city he lived? This is crazy.

they were in Atlanta. I'm checking news links but so far nothing

• I love how at one point dood started trippin and was wrestling with his tooth missing. He would always make the craziest faces in some mat/move like the camel clutch and seeing that gaping hole made him all that much more crazy!!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Wow, his family, too. That's crazy. RIP.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    His wife was a valet in WCW & went by the name of "Woman". It looks like she was killed too.

• VeeEightVeeEight 325 Posts
    Unbelievable. I met the guy at an autograph session a few years ago.

• shut off the pain and get motivated son!! chris benoit style! oldschool..

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Looking around for info on line lead me to an article about his former tag partner & Stu Hart student Biff Wellington. He died just 2 days ago.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/2007/06/24/4286996.html

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Very sad news indeed.

He had an amazing back-handed-pimp-slap-to-the-chest, I loved that shit!

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Damn...I liked seeing those matches with him and Dean Malenko. I remember when he broke Sabu's neck back when. He also had that nasty looking top rop tombstone piledriver. Pro wrestlers don't seem to have a high life expectancy

• PSellersPSellers 157 Posts
    Just been doing a bit of searching and apparently he went home and didn't appear at Vengeance at the weekend because of illness in the family, something about his son spitting up blood was mentioned. Then they are all found dead. Sounds bit bizarre. Obviously everything at this time is very much unclassified. He will be missed.

• oripsorips 238 Posts
    Atlanta Journal-Constitution says his family was found dead around 4 p.m. and that no one was shot.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I haven't followed wrestling for years but always had a soft spot for the wolverine. This is truly bizarre news. RIP.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Didn't the story say police were treating it as a double murder and suicide - does that suggest he killed his family then himself? Fucked up whatever...

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    maaaan, that sucks. this guy was a legend. he was all about the art form. i'm shocked that he'd take the life of his wife/son. a terrible tragedy.

• 40ozking40ozking 308 Posts
    Has Vince McMahon come out of hiding yet? He supposively faked his death a few weeks ago on one of his wrestling shows...

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    if only this were all some elaborate wrestling stunt.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    looks like a messed up murder/suicide

i had forgotten he had hooked up with the "Fallen Angel"

(where was kevin at the time ?)

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    UPDATED: 1:56 p.m. June 26, 2007
    Police: Benoit killed wife, son, later hanged himself
    Superstar wrestler's wife once claimed abuse, filed for divorce

By S.A. REID, KATHY JEFCOATS
    The Atlanta-Journal Constitution
    Published on: 06/25/07
    Superstar wrestler Chris Benoit strangled his wife and smothered his son before hanging himself in his weight room, according to a law enforcement source quoted by the Associated Press.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution could not independently confirm the Associated Press report. A spokesman for the Georgia Bureau of Investigation said the three autopsies had not been completed, so there is no official cause of death.

The couple and their 7-year-old son were found dead Monday in their home on Green Meadow Lane just east of Peachtree City.Nancy Benoit and her son, Daniel, were killed during the weekend and Benoit died Monday, police said.

Benoit and his wife went through a period of turbulence early in their marriage that included her claiming domestic abuse and filing for divorce, court records show.

The couple, who had lived together since 1997 and were married in 2000, had separated when Nancy Benoit, a wrestling manager who worked under the stage name "Woman," filed for divorce in May 2003.

In the accompanying petition for protection from domestic abuse, Nancy Benoit, 43, claimed she was intimidated by threats of violence from her 40-year-old, 5-foot-10, 220-pound husband, who was known as the "Canadian Crippler."

Benoit, the petition said, "lost his temper and threatened to strike the petitioner and cause extensive damage to the home and personal belongings of the parties, including furniture and furnishings. Petitioner is in reasonable fear for petitioner's own safety and that of the minor child."

In another count, she claimed Benoit had destroyed furniture in the home.

On May 12, 2003, the same day the divorce and protective order petitions were submitted, a judge issued a restraining order against the wrestler and barred him from the family home in Peachtree City.

On Aug. 19, 2003, Nancy Benoit filed to have the divorce and protective petitions dismissed, and both were.

Police on Tuesday had said no gun was used in the killings, but they declined to say how the three died. Autopsies were scheduled for Tuesday at the GBI Crime Lab in Decatur.

"The details, when they come out, are going to prove a little bizarre," Fayette County District Attorney Scott Ballard said Tuesday.

Police also revealed Tuesday that a text message was sent from Chris Benoit's cellphone.

Fayette Sheriff's Lt. Tommy Pope said the message was sent at 4:30 a.m. Saturday, but he decline to disclose the message's content or recipient.

Benoit's employer, World Wrestling Entertainment, said on its Website Tuesday that Benoit had sent

"several curious text messages" to friends, but police on Tuesday said they had identified only the one.

Authorities initially had trouble getting to the home because of two large German shepherds on the property, the WWE said. Sheriff's deputies were standing guard at the home on Tuesday morning, keeping back the media and the curious.

Benoit was found in the home's weight room, his wife in an office and his son in an upstairs bedroom.

Benoit failed to appear at Saturday's live wrestling event in Beaumont, Texas., and at WWE's "Vengeance: Night of Champions" in Houston Sunday night. WWE said Benoit had a "family emergency."

As news of the death's spread, the wrestling blogosphere erupted in disbelief.

"Obviously, all sorts of speculation are running rampant but I have talked to so many people and nobody really knows," said Bryan Alvarez, who runs Figurefour Weekly, a wrestling newsletter and Web site, from Linwood, Wash.

The WWE issued a statement Monday night:

"Chris was beloved among his fellow Superstars, and was a favorite among WWE fans for his unbelievable athleticism and wrestling ability. He always took great pride in his performance, and always showed respect for the business he loved, for his peers and towards his fans. This is a terrible tragedy and an unbearable loss. WWE extends its sincere condolences and prayers to the Benoit family and loved ones in this time of tragedy."

A native of Canada, Benoit maintained a residence in metro Atlanta from the time he wrestled for the now-defunct Ted Turner-owned World Championship Wrestling organization.

He began his career in Calgary more than 20 years ago and had wrestled in Japan before moving back to North America.

While working in Atlanta with WCW, he met his wife, Nancy, who managed several wrestlers and went by the stage name, "Woman."

At the time, her then-husband drew up a script that had the couple involved in a relationship as part of an ongoing storyline.

Soon after, the two became romantically involved in real life and married. Benoit has two other children from a prior relationship.

He joined WWE in 2000, and four years later, won its world heavyweight championship.

The family had moved into the Fayetteville neighborhood last summer, said neighbor Alaina Jones.

None of the neighbors recalled seeing police at the house before. Monday night, about half a dozen cars idled on the circular driveway. Deputies stood guard outside the wrought-iron gates of the residence. A car full of youngsters who stopped to gawk at the scene were pulled out by deputies, frisked and sent on their way.

The Monday night broadcast of WWE's "Raw" on the USA Network was supposed to have been a who-dunit into the "death" of Chairman Vince McMahon, whose limousine burst into a fiery explosion moments after he stepped into it after a bout in Wilkes-Barre, Pa., two weeks ago.

The organization scrapped the storyline following Benoit's death, and instead televised a three-hour retrospective on Benoit's career.

Staff writer Saeed Ahmed and the Associated Press contributed to this report.

• Yep, it's offical the sick bastard killed his wife & son and then off'd himself. Glad that i did'nt post anything that said i was sorry for him... what a terrible thing, R.I.P. to his wife & son and hope he burns.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Wow, that's extra-fucked up. Ironically enough, the WWE tribute last night was littered with people talking about how much of a "family man" Benoit was.

• yeah i heard charles manson was also a "family man"

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Yep, it's offical the sick bastard killed his wife & son and then off'd himself. Glad that i did'nt post anything that said i was sorry for him... what a terrible thing, R.I.P. to his wife & son and hope he burns.

He may be a sick bastard and in no way am I going to defend him, but watching him wrestle brought joy to my father and helped us bond. I hope whatever was torturing him in life finds resolution in the afterlife.

Rest in peace to his wife and child

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

Sad.

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts