Weekend Finds 6/22-6-24

13»

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I really like that Michaelangelo. It's kind of a grower.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I really like that Michaelangelo. It's kind of a grower.

Yeah, it kind of surprised me.
    It got me at the moment where the
    vocals float in out of nowhere and go
    "IN A COCAINE DREAM"

Seemed to drop off hard on the second
    side, though, except for the instros.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    yeah, it's weird how many instrumentals are on there... and they all basically sound alike. I wasn't sold on my first listen, but the high points are pretty rad.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    yeah, it's weird how many instrumentals are on there... and they all basically sound alike. I wasn't sold on my first listen, but the high points are pretty rad.

That one is good. I looked at it at first and was like, uh, dunno where we gonna go with this one. I like it for curveballery like Clannad.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

Sportcasual, that Mahotella Queens is nice.

I thought it was the most
    of all the African records I got.

Can you sell it for me?

I like it for the deep basslines, the nice vocal arrangements and happy (sounding) South African good time vibes.

• I'm pretty sure I was at the same flea market earlier...across from Dinosaur Land? Right outside of Front Royal.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

Sealed vintage US yellow label presses. Fantastic album.
    I'll be moving a couple of the extras on the set sale tip.

That Jennifer Lara is a real killer!
    Nice score!

• DJ_PhillieDJ_Phillie 199 Posts

I'm pretty sure I was at the same flea market earlier...across from Dinosaur Land? Right outside of Front Royal.

yes! im there practically every weekend.

where do u live at homie??

im in winchester

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Here is some other stuff I found on my trip that Strutters might be down with and I could use some information on.

Anyone heard that "Saxophone Special"? It's free jazz but what made me buy it (since I'm not brain enough for free jazz) was the synthesizer. There is mad electronic freak-outs on this which make it really cool.

Same goes with that "Stairway Down To The Stars". Canadian thing which there isn't much information on the net about. Wouldn't mind a price check on this so I could set-sale it on the cheap.

Who is down with Disco on CTL? PM me.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    some ebay finds/buys
    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Funkadelic -- free your mind (promo) (NEVER seen an OG of this one in the real world)
    Donnie Elbert -- have I sinned (great early effort from this falsetto soul singer)
    Joe Cuba -- We must be doing something right!
    Horoya Band National -- (Deeeep syliphone album...I love this label)
    The White Eagels International -- (great raw, almost garage-y highlife)
    F. Kenya -- ngakula ngakula (more great highlife)
    Ambassadeurs International -- Mandjou (seldom seen original african pressing of this masterpiece)

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    Thurs-Sun pick ups

IMG SRC="http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x262/doctortahl/DSC01705.jpg" WIDTH=700>

IMG SRC="http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x262/doctortahl/DSC01704.jpg" WIDTH=700>

IMG SRC="http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x262/doctortahl/DSC01703.jpg" WIDTH=700>

• some ebay finds/buys

Ambassadeurs International -- Mandjou (seldom seen original african pressing of this masterpiece)

so you're the one who got that. I was gonna try to snipe you, but I was working last night...

lucky bastard, I've been wanting that one for a while.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    I could use a copy of Great White Cane.

Such a good record. Who??d have thought Rick James is on it.

- J

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

I'm pretty sure I was at the same flea market earlier...across from Dinosaur Land? Right outside of Front Royal.

yes! im there practically every weekend.

where do u live at homie??

im in winchester

i go there a lot.

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
    this was my saturday morning and afternoon. Middle row = dollar yard sale buys.

sorry for cross-posting... but i'm wondering what's the deal with that Ella- is it the same album as the one called "Sunshine of your Love"?

bottom left is Carnegie Mellon University Jazz Ensemble 1974 LP nice condition up for trade...

• noreillenoreille 270 Posts
    i'm wondering what's the deal with that Ella- is it the same album as the one called "Sunshine of your Love"?

Yes, that's the deal.

• I finally found one of these this weekend for dirt cheap and am just getting to play it now... whole thing is basically excellent. Except i get to the crazy jungle drums cut "funky" and it's got a big ol' fawkd up jump in it back to searching for another one of this dopeness.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I could use a copy of Great White Cane.

Such a good record. Who??d have thought Rick James is on it.

- J

That's the reason why I bought it in the first place, back in 1992 or 1993, but someone stole it from me not too long afterwards. Seeing it in this thread made me realize I still don't have a copy, but that's about to change.

• DJ_PhillieDJ_Phillie 199 Posts

i go there a lot.

hit me up next time u go. u can stop by the lab.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

Pretty average weekend actually. Was kinda happy to get a clean copy of that Aretha, the Latin Hustle was an anniversary present from my girlfriend, every couple of years I find myself fiending for Ventures LPs for a few weeks, I don't know why, but now is one of those times, that's a good one though.

The local 45 supply that has been super good to me the last while appears to be drying up finally. This last lot from Wisconsin had some nice stuff at first, but it is totally just the leftovers now. Lucky they are cheap.
    Dee Clark - Your Friends (Vee Jay)
    Dave "Baby" Cortez - Precious You (Chess)
    Deodato - Super Strut (CTI)
    Lou Donaldson - You Are The Sunshine Of My Life (Blue Note)
    King Floyd - Got To Have Your Lovin' (Chimneyville)
    Donny Hathaway - Magnificent Sanctuary Band (Atco)
    Roy Head - Apple Of My Eye (Back Beat)
    Jan & Dean - Ride The Wild Surf (Liberty)