BAD BRAINS

LeftyLefty 259 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
The best band ever is going to release a new album this summer in their OG formation GET RILL DOGGIE

Comments

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    I'm scared. I'll bet money it sucks, I hope it doesn't, but most likely it will.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Early reviews are mixed, I have no high expectations at all. That said Bad Brains are my favorite punk/HC band of all time, hands down.

I'm gonna stir some shit up here. "I Against I" is an extremely over-rated record that hasn't aged very well. Discuss.

• LeftyLefty 259 Posts
    i agains i is not bad,
    but my favorites are youth are getting restless and quickness

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    i agains i is not bad,
    but my favorites are youth are getting restless and quickness

Ewww, Quickness? There's one or two OK songs, the rest of that shit is funk/metal poop. You'd really take that over the ROIR tape or "Rock For Light"?

• LeftyLefty 259 Posts
    rock for light is great too,
    quickness is a personal thing i think,
    that was the first bb record i owned

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    I'm gonna stir some shit up here. "I Against I" is an extremely over-rated record that hasn't aged very well. Discuss.

I Against I is my fav. Listened to it at work last week, holds up very well IMO.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Early reviews are mixed, I have no high expectations at all.

I've heard it. Love the rock cuts, can't really get thru the reggae tracks. But that's just a personal bias. These days, I have a hard time listening to any reggae made after, say, 1980 (maybe later?). I don't know, it just conjures up images of some college stoner cranking up Bob Marley's Legend album in his dorm room.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    rock for light is great too

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I bought this bootleg Bad Brains video at a record show many moons ago...it was a Philly show from '83(crazy intense show)...the dude who filmed it stopped the tape whenevfer they played a reggae song...god love the bad brains, but they are an AWFUL reggae band.

As I think about it, it is probably the Bad brains fault for my uninterest and dislike of reggae in my teenage/20s...they were so bad at it, I thought all reggae was that bad...more than likely the reason I didnt become a reggae fan until I was 30

I bought this bootleg Bad Brains video at a record show many moons ago...it was a Philly show from '83(crazy intense show)...the dude who filmed it stopped the tape whenevfer they played a reggae song...god love the bad brains, but they are an AWFUL reggae band.

As I think about it, it is probably the Bad brains fault for my uninterest and dislike of reggae in my teenage/20s...they were so bad at it, I thought all reggae was that bad...more than likely the reason I didnt become a reggae fan until I was 30

I enjoy their Reggae on Rock For Light. Its probably just for the great contrast.
    But overall i agree that most of it is average stuff.

• LeftyLefty 259 Posts
    i dont know, sounds better than expected
    i mean hr its a wonder he s still alive
    i just hope to see them live
    one more time

• LeftyLefty 259 Posts
    back then reaggae was unlistenable to me,
    but bad brains reaggae was some other shit

back then reaggae was unlistenable to me,
    but bad brains reaggae was some other shit

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    i'm excited to hear some new shit, i'm opening up for them tomorrow night.

re-ig-ni-tion!

• LeftyLefty 259 Posts
    just a matter of taste plus a matter of age i guess

too young for racism at those times

• LeftyLefty 259 Posts
    im jealous

just a matter of taste plus a matter of age i guess

too young for racism at those times

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts
    i'm going to see them this summer at a show in toronto . the roots and other groups will be there too.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    i'm excited to hear some new shit, i'm opening up for them tomorrow night.

re-ig-ni-tion!

that will be fun. drop some doubles of their schitt.

http://www.schoolofrock.com.php4-2.websi...f4f21ebac891ba7

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    One of the best American rock bands of all time and the best hardcore band ever. And to call their reggae shit "unlistenable" is just total crap. Not only is it great but it a perfect foil to the hard shit, in juxtoposition to the fast thrashing of their hardcore shit. Like when it's all hard and shit and then "I Love Jah" pops up out the blue that shit is banging.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    One of the best American rock bands of all time and the best hardcore band ever. And to call their reggae shit "unlistenable" is just total crap.

• LeftyLefty 259 Posts
    thats right their reggae and hardcore is the perfect combination,
    i listened to all their stuff last night,
    and have to say that rock for light is untouchable,
    but i like their heavier sounding quickness too,
    it would have been interesting if they had followwed that path

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    One of the best American rock bands of all time and the best hardcore band ever. And to call their reggae shit "unlistenable" is just total crap. Not only is it great but it a perfect foil to the hard shit, in juxtoposition to the fast thrashing of their hardcore shit. Like when it's all hard and shit and then "I Love Jah" pops up out the blue that shit is banging.

Well, if that's what I wanted, I'd just play a Studio One compilation back to back with the Dead Kennedys. At least that way I'll know the reggae will sound good...

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    how can anyone with an inkling of taste dis "I and I survive" as "bad reggae"
    please deafey
    its threads like these and the 24/7 spyz thread that seperate the men from the toys

AND fools who don't like reggae are just plain Foul and wrong

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I really like these bi-monthly Bad Brains threads here on SS, remember the Bad Brains vs Black Flag one, that was pretty good, also that SST vs Dischord one was ok.

The Bad Brains show was intense. DJ Un-G and I tag teamed for most of the afternoon.

Highlights of the show:

-getting dragged into some interview booth by HR, and him kissing me and telling me he loved me on camera (wtf?)

-McRad killing it with a teenage School of Rock Drummer

-10 year old kids playing Slayer and driving the crowd wild

-Vernon Reid jumping up and down like a little kid and telling me that this is the best he's seen the Bad Brains in years

-Dr. Know coming up to me while I was spinning the after party to ask me if I can make him some "tapes", because he was into the reggae stuff I was spinning before they went on.

They opened up with I against I.

a few pics:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket