"Hasnt Aged Well"

1235»

Comments

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    this song

That's funny, I haven't heard that song in forever, but I do remember it. For some reason I didn't recall that was a Freestyle Fellowship song; whenever I think of them I automatically click to their second incarnation.

I dunno if I would say it didn't age well. Still sounds good to me but I guess you could say it dates itself with the early-90s hip-hop/jazz mix; you wouldn't catch that on mainstream radio now.

Man, I listen to this song at least once a week and it's still great to my ears!

I just checked out some of the other songs on the album. Ugh, what a letdown.

Rapp for people who hatt themselves

LOL!!!

related, I'll add:
    "slam poetry."

worst thing ever.

EVER

• TomOTomO 169 Posts
    i've heard people say that the MIZELL[/b] sound has not aged well. while i don't necessarily agree, i guess i can understand how some might say it's a sound that marks a specific time and struggles to eschew this contextual timeframe and really stand up on its own as music or art.

I agree that it might struggle to eschew the timeframe - they were using instrumentation, musicians, analogue equipment and production values of the time!
    You use an ARP Odyssey now and it will take you straight back to that time.
    However, I don't agree that people should be able to argue that it struggles to stand up on its own as music or art. That's just not true - most of what they did was brilliant (in my opinion) and still is! I've dug deep for all their stuff, not just the Byrd / Bartz / Humphrey etc - I'm talking Elaine Brown, Margie Evans, Jackson 5, Brenda Lee Eager, Mary Wells etc
    Take the Madlib remix of 'Young Warrior' that was an unreleased track from the 'Satin Doll' sessions. That combines modern production values with the Mizell sound. I'd argue that it's a great piece of music / art either way and I'd actually go further and argue that I wish I had the original because I'd PREFER it to the Madlib remix!
    I would hope that most people could keep their perceptions of different eras of music and production values etc separate from their opinion of whether each piece of music was a great song or not. Great songs span generations / eras. There have been, there are, and always will be, great musicians making great music. The Mizell brothers are just two examples.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    i've heard people say that the MIZELL[/b] sound has not aged well. while i don't necessarily agree, i guess i can understand how some might say it's a sound that marks a specific time and struggles to eschew this contextual timeframe and really stand up on its own as music or art.

I agree that it might struggle to eschew the timeframe - they were using instrumentation, musicians, analogue equipment and production values of the time!
    You use an ARP Odyssey now and it will take you straight back to that time.
    However, I don't agree that people should be able to argue that it struggles to stand up on its own as music or art. That's just not true - most of what they did was brilliant (in my opinion) and still is! I've dug deep for all their stuff, not just the Byrd / Bartz / Humphrey etc - I'm talking Elaine Brown, Margie Evans, Jackson 5, Brenda Lee Eager, Mary Wells etc
    Take the Madlib remix of 'Young Warrior' that was an unreleased track from the 'Satin Doll' sessions. That combines modern production values with the Mizell sound. I'd argue that it's a great piece of music / art either way and I'd actually go further and argue that I wish I had the original because I'd PREFER it to the Madlib remix!
    I would hope that most people could keep their perceptions of different eras of music and production values etc separate from their opinion of whether each piece of music was a great song or not. Great songs span generations / eras. There have been, there are, and always will be, great musicians making great music. The Mizell brothers are just two examples.

I stopped reading at Madlib. Dude's a turd factory.

• TomOTomO 169 Posts
    Haha - well that's why I said I preferred the original. The most you could say about Madlib's version isn't that he didn't completely screw up what was a great song anyway.