black eyed peas use Stark Reality on their new LP

Comments

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Nobody thinks Stones Throw's already cashed in on the sample? LOL You never know.
    hahahhahaha.... i hope they have - that would be just like them wouldn't it? - those guys are my hommieeees

Good peoples.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    for real, cheers for your progressive sampling approval stance.
    that is genuine love for music period.
    peace

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    hey monty you should just leave it alone. you have mass talent bro so what if they stole it its not like they are putting out starks reality albums or anything i mean yea its a song but it would just go in the whole thing about getting sued for scratching a hickup ignore the media keep doin what you do and well keep lovin you
    CURT

Will.I.Am? that you?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Monty is dope. I wish more people thought like him. All this sample clearance bullshit has stifled musical development to a certain extent. People have always "stole" tunes and reworked them. I'm surprised to see such greedy attitudes at soulstrut (not really) If everybody sampled and got rich then there would be no problem. No hustle havin' muthafuckas. Get your own money.

Nobody thinks Stones Throw's already cashed in on the sample? LOL You never know.

I used to think like that too. But that was cause I used to sample all the time. Then I thought about how Id feel on the other end.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Then I thought about how Id feel on the other end.

I would just like to point out that this would be a time where a well-placed AYO! might actually be funny, and KingMoist is nowhere to be found.

PS Monty, you're a principled man. Respect.

• montymonty 420 Posts
    ... So Monty's SOL.
    sorry to disappoint you, Fatback - the dust hasn't settled, the smoke hasn't cleared, and i'm sure i shouldn't be saying anything at all this early in the process, but i've heard from the publisher side and i've heard from the record company side.... and it appears to me that will.i.am must be a SR fan and orchestrated this whole "un-cleared sample" business on purpose so we would get more $$$ - amazing!

• montymonty 420 Posts
    ... You said they replayed your bassline...
    no - it was just pitched up

that bass line isn't notes - it's Phil Morrison's soul - even he couldn't play it like that again.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    ... You said they replayed your bassline...
    no - it was just pitched up

that bass line isn't notes - it's Phil Morrison's soul - even he couldn't play it like that again.

Reunion? SR opening for BEP?

• silvertonesilvertone 765 Posts
    " and it appears to me that will.i.am must be a SR fan and orchestrated this whole "un-cleared sample" business on purpose so we would get more $$$ - amazing! "

I really hope that is the case Monty.
    You deserve it.

6.dos

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    The irony is that you had to buy BEP's album. You should have at least illegally downloaded it.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    and it appears to me that will.i.am must be a SR fan and orchestrated this whole "un-cleared sample" business on purpose so we would get more $$$ - amazing!

THIS IS DOPE AS HELL!!!!

• montymonty 420 Posts
    what's the name of the cd? i'll go buy it

You fixin' to be rich. Please invite Soulstrut to the island your about to buy.
    ok

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    wow, I stayed away from this thread for a long time and reading it I gotta say I can only hope to one day have the same sort of patience and postive state of mind that you have.

Like many other diggers with a jones for finding records I've contacted artists and gotten some bitter responses, what you've written in this post is the total and complete opposite of that. Bless you for being that dude.

By the way, Dizzy and I decided we may just have to drag your ass down to San Diego sometime soon. Don't think I've forgot about the Gordon Lightfoot cover project. Times-a-wastin.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

You fixin' to be rich. Please invite Soulstrut to see the Terror Squad pendant you're about to buy.

• montymonty 420 Posts
    Dizzy and I decided we may just have to drag your ass down to San Diego sometime soon.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

Like many other diggers with a jones for finding records I've contacted artists and gotten some bitter responses, what you've written in this post is the total and complete opposite of that. Bless you for being that dude.

co-sign ... i dont know you at all mr monty but you have to be one of the coolest and most knowledgeable musicians ive ever had the chance to learn from... much respect due to you sir.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Don't know exactly how I surfed onto this page, but whatever happened with this? Any loot ever come out of B.E.P.'s pockets?

You've got me spendin'...

• montymonty 420 Posts
    Don't know exactly how I surfed onto this page, but whatever happened with this? Any loot ever come out of B.E.P.'s pockets?

spend away - BEP paid

spend away - BEP paid

Nice one! Good to see they're sharing the wealth.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

spend away - BEP paid

Care to tell us the range of their payment?

6 Figures?

• montymonty 420 Posts
    yeah, it cost them 6 figures, may reach 7 - to Hoagy Bix Carmichael who just happens to be the son of the guy who wrote "Comrades". (of course, BEP didn't sample anything Hoagy wrote. they sampled parts that Phil and I wrote, but we were just "for-hire".)

5 figures to Stones Throw who gave it to me, and i split that with the band members.

Cage, on the other hand, will not pay ST, and the song is my composition. so, what do you Strutters suggest i do now?

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    yeah, it cost them 6 figures, may reach 7 - to Hoagy Bix Carmichael who just happens to be the son of the guy who wrote "Comrades". (of course, BEP didn't sample anything Hoagy wrote. they sampled parts that Phil and I wrote, but we were just "for-hire".)

5 figures to Stones Throw who gave it to me, and i split that with the band members.

Cage, on the other hand, will not pay ST, and the song is my composition. so, what do you Strutters suggest i do now?

Glad to hear you got some residules. That's rad.

I can't imagine that Cage has all that much loot though. Not that that is an excuse though.

Wow. This one is for the Annals of Sampling.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Aint' that a bitch

But who could've imagined, 30+ years ago, how things would develop...

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

Aint' that a bitch

But who could've imagined, 30+ years ago, how things would develop...

Damn.

Monty, you are an inspiration to us all, good to see you got some bank.

• montymonty 420 Posts
    I can't imagine that Cage has all that much loot though. Not that that is an excuse though.

Def Jux would probably be happy to pay mechanicals to my publisher. that's no big deal, except my publisher has either lost me, or the publishing has reverted to me. to find out, i would have to hire a lawyer who would want more than it's probably worth...

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    monty, was that true that will.i.am purposefully used the unlicensed sample so that the label would be forced to cough up more money? that's diabolically admirable.

• montymonty 420 Posts
    monty, was that true that will.i.am purposefully used the unlicensed sample so that the label would be forced to cough up more money? that's diabolically admirable.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

• montymonty 420 Posts
    yes