Who is your current favorite female mc?

1235»

Comments

• ...the "dealy venoms" sprite commercials...

• Didn't the Deadly Venoms commercial feature Amil? Hmmm...looks like they found the antidote to that shit.

My girl has been reading this thread over my shoulder. A few comments from her:

She's not at all into the idea of "best female MC" because it implies that women are in a lesser category than men. [Wait--is she claiming that hip-hop is inherently sexist? NEWSFLASH!] This is a general pet peeve of hers, especially when people tell her that she's "the best female DJ they've ever seen" (when in fact she's better than most dude DJs). Nobody would say some shit like, "You're the best Filipino DJ I've ever seen!"

Her larger point is that people often complain that women are "catty," but really, when so few positions are set aside for women, they end up having to fight each other for those positions.*

And Faux, you're about to get an e-kick to the balls courtesy of my better half for your comments on Missy; she maintains that Missy is one of the most innovative/creative/entertaining MCs today--on the level of Ludacris, even.

But really, when's FREE'S album comin' out?

*And when they fight, it's hot. RRROOOOWR!!!!!

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    anyone know about Eternia here? from Toronto? i think she's dope on the mic too...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    JEAN GRAE is the real.I would say JG.
    the_dL

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    BOMP

• missy is the female e-40

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    Meechie Me (sp?)
    MC Lyte
    Antoinette
    Lady of Rage

Shheeesh I cant really even listen to female MC's for a whole album....

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    x-cept for Lyte
    i fell that unfortunately most female MC's have one or two songs i like tops
    and most of the time (conscious daughters) its the beat more than the rhyme
    or like (jean grae) the rhymes and no beat
    this new pHoenix or something they were promoting on the site seemed like the pete rock of female MC's

I am still waiting for a female to drop a tough album and compete with the bigboys

there is a latina MC in my youth center that is developping watch out for the future
    actually a lot of my favorite female MC's are spanish speaking

• bassie2bassie2 56 Posts
    Let me cleanse my palate to get rid of the bad taste of Euro men talking about what women should and shouldn't wear.

Not sure if it's a bad sign about the current state of things that two of the best MCs right now are veterans Remy Ma and Lil Kim or some sort of vindication about female rappers and their enduring talent. Either way, Lil Kim Season is one of the year's best releases and Remy got out of prison and did not skip a beat before she came back with two hot releases. I mentioned Remy 11 years ago when this thread first started and here she still is, getting played at parties and shit.

A little more current, I would say Nicki Minaj's plan for pop domination only to shed the cartoon act and settle into setting shit on fire has worked out quite nicely.
    It's old news now - but since the original thread - so I will say that her part on Monster is still one of the best features to date. Her part on Yo Gotti's Down in the DM is pure fire. Her part on Truffle Butter is pure fire. Her part on Only and Feeling Myself...well, you know.

Keysha Freshh from my beautiful city is amazing

And that much more current - Young M.A is my favourite new rapper, rapper private parts be damned.

para11ax

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    I'm still a huge fan of Jean Grae, the UK seems to have some great young female MC's coming through atm

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Keisha Plum on Flygod is nice in her own way - she comes in around 2:45

I haven't listened to Lil Kim Season but she could rap BITD

Nicki is one of the best out when she wants to be

Dej Loaf is hit or miss for me, but Try Me is a stone classic

• bassie2bassie2 56 Posts
    ketan said:

and basically gave birth to Post Malone's career.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    bassie2 said:
    ketan said:

and basically gave birth to Post Malone's career.
    Try Me still makes me smile just thinking about it. 

Her latest track is also rather good.

ketan

• I know this isn't what you meant but my current favorite female mc is MC Lyte. 
    GOAT
    ketan

• damn I cant say I've seen this thread before, lol. I buzzed through it really quickly to see if this was posted or not and I didn't see it, I cant say she is my current favorite, but when I first got this tape i killed this track, i had never heard of Lionesque until i heard this, her voice is dope and she has a nice flow that sorta compliments Doseone in a weird kinda way, she comes in at the 2:40 mark.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts

• foefoe turo de la peira 196 Posts
    princess loko