Bands or Artists they should do a movie about...

13»

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    what about Pac?

I'm not a huge Pac fan, but it seems like between Marin, NY, Oakland, LA he woulda had some movie-worthy experiences. plus his mom's background, the Death Row drama, the Biggie drama, jail. it would be box office gold. and there's no way this project isn't already in development and/or hasn't already been made (?)

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Donny Hathaway story could be good too. Lauren Hill could play the Roberta Flack role.

Just because she "covered" her song?

They look NOTHING alike. Shit, U might as well say Amy Winehouse if that the case.

I thought she did a good job with that song. Casting lookalikes is a bad move. You cast talent and then let the magic of make up do the rest. Any talented actor could play Yellowman.

Cosign, this dude is clearly channeling Yellowman in "The Last Boyscout"[/b]

I think a Dylan movie just came out with half a dozen people playing Bub.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    The Replacements
    Shane MacGowan and The Pogues
    The Ramones
    Bad Brains

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The Replacements

Yes.

I am writing this screenplay as we speak

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    The Replacements

Yes.

I am writing this screenplay as we speak

Saw them here in Seattle at the Paramount theater on their last tour right before they split up. Show was great and they were all CRAZY drunk as usual. Slim had to leave the stage a couple of times during the show to go take a piss.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

The Ramones
    Does that awesome 'End Of The Century' doco count? Or are we talking actual movies only?

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    I'd like to see a movie about Juan Atkins, Derrick May, and Kevin Saunderson and how they were involved in building Detroit techno. I don't know if it's urban legend or not, but supposedly they bought all their equipment with stolen credit cards and had it shipped to abandoned buildings.

While Dan Sicko doesn't mention that, I've heard their funding source too.

Wasn't Marco Aluia working on exactly this? I think my Movement 2004 had a trailer for it. Did it ever come out?

• BeatsoupBeatsoup 511 Posts
    I'm all for a Marvin Gaye movie, I really think his story needs to be told. I would hope it would be done tastefully though, I find movies about musicians always have a large dose of cheese and that they try to fit too much of the persons life into one movie. Marvin Gaye's story would need two movies probably or one long one. Or maybe have it go from the start of his career up to what's going on. I dunno....I'd love to see this movie but I'd hate to see it done poorly.

Also who would be cast as marvin?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I'm all for a Marvin Gaye movie, I really think his story needs to be told. I would hope it would be done tastefully though, I find movies about musicians always have a large dose of cheese and that they try to fit too much of the persons life into one movie. Marvin Gaye's story would need two movies probably or one long one. Or maybe have it go from the start of his career up to what's going on. I dunno....I'd love to see this movie but I'd hate to see it done poorly.

I love cheesy movie bio pics. But the best ones are about one little slice. The Beatle one called Back Beat comes to mind. I think thats what they did in Sid and Nancy too, but I have not seen it.

The important thing about these movies is not to get a look alike or a singer. It is to cast talent. A good actor can lipsync and the make up artists do the rest.

• pppppppp 261 Posts
    I'll go with Mayhem...
    also my choice for most entertaining allmusic.com entry:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:dxfyxqe5ldfe~T1

An entertaining read:

I've been curious about that book, but a friend of mine was recently trying to steer me away from it, saying that it's no good, and that it ends up taking some oddly conservative stances culturally and politically. Not so?

Co-sign on Mayhem, I love the Varg Vikernes/Euronymous story. I always told myself one day I'd make that documentary - that shit would be so entertaining. You've got the story of two friends falling out and leading to murder with no obvious motive, so it works in the dramatic and mystery/crime sense. Also, it's about this incredibly strange and extreme sub-culture burgeoning in a really unsuspecting place like Norway which would be enough of an interesting glimpse on its own...and then of course there's all the music like Burzum and Mayhem, and all the surrounding bands. Who wants to fund my trip to Norway to get this started?

Also, Lords of Chaos is a really good book, not phenomenal unless you're really into both black metal and the origins of the occult and mythology (which is predominant in the second half). I learned about the author's political background after reading the book and was quite surprised to find out about his uncomfortable views on race and cultural mixing. Especially because a lot of the time he seems to be highlighting the ridiculousness of his subject's views by ending the chapter abruptly after a confounding statement...like this interview with Hellhammer:

"I don't know, because from the first time I was against the burning of the Norweigan churches. Totally. I told them, why not burn up a mosque, the foreign churches from the Hindu and Islamic jerks - why not take those out instead of setting fires to some very old Norweigan artworks? They could have take mosques instead, with plenty of people in them!"

• lots of great mentions here..but I would love to see...

and a HBO Doc or something of:

(That is Big Lurch for those who don't know)

• But on da rills, I would be intrigued if there was a movie (doc or feature) on these guys cause other than their music , I know shit about them:

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
    Has anyone done a worthwhile film about New Orleans Brass Band music? I'm not sure you could single out one band, but this seems like a ripe topic for a film. Has the time passed in the wake of the storm? Is there something definitive I'm not up on, film wise?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Has anyone done a worthwhile film about New Orleans Brass Band music? I'm not sure you could single out one band, but this seems like a ripe topic for a film. Has the time passed in the wake of the storm? Is there something definitive I'm not up on, film wise?

There was a folk/roots doc film maker in the 70s 80s who was great... I'll be right back I need to do some research... Les Blank

Always For Pleasure is the movie about New Orleans parade music.

He did a movie about Clifron Chiener called Hot Pepper

J'ai ??t?? au bal about Cajun Music

Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe - Don't we have a Werner Herzog graemlins?

In Heaven There Is No Beer great doc about the polka music subculture. That's why we drink it here.

IMDB lists 35 films from 1960 to 2007. Most are about American subcultures especially roots music. Recommended.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Phil Morris.

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts

There was a folk/roots doc film maker in the 70s 80s who was great... I'll be right back I need to do some research... Les Blank
    Always For Pleasure is the movie about New Orleans parade music.
    He did a movie about Clifron Chiener called Hot Pepper
    Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe - Don't we have a Werner Herzog graemlins?

Ah, okay, thanks for that.
    I saw Werner Herzog Eats His Shoe screened at a film festival here a few years ago, so it comes full circle to Les Blank. I'll be looking into the local esoteric film spot to see if they have 'Always For Pleasure.'