Bands or Artists they should do a movie about...

Comments

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I have two...I'd like to see the Yellowman story. Growing up an albino in Jamaica, then killing it in the dancehall, getting cancer (face? Throat?) then coming back...Great story!

This would be great!
    But who could possibly play him?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    HANK WILLIAMS JR.

Not senior?

That was already done, with Hank Williams Jr
    in the role doing all the music

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    They were supposed to have been developing one around this book/band:

I just heard the story behind this band. If they had actually made it Vietnam to do the tour they were planning, it would have been one of the most incredible bio-pics ever.

get the book. Eddie is a good writer. He was writing this when my old band recorded our demos with him and Gary and Dave in Turtle Lake, MN in '92. I think some drunken scenes that summer either mirrored his own experience or he thought it made for good copy(or both), as a couple passages seemed quite familiar when I read the book some years on. My copy is autographed by all the remaining Monks!

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    I have two...I'd like to see the Yellowman story. Growing up an albino in Jamaica, then killing it in the dancehall, getting cancer (face? Throat?) then coming back...Great story!

This would be great!

now that's funny!

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

Or maybe The Reagan Youth story. great 80's punk band. dude becomes a junky and pimps out his girl who gets killed by the sonofsam. Throw some cbgb footage in there...classic

Actually it was Joel Rifkin.

my bad...still would be a cool movie...

It's weird that this hasn't seen any development. It has it all....intrigue, overnight stardom, mobsters and their girlfriends, drug habits, Texas AND LA, suicide/murder(by gasoline down the throat) and old music waiting to be re-packaged and re-marketed.

This guy too would make a hell of a wacked out flick:

there is already a play about him called Telstar, so it can't be long.

This dude too:

Graham Bond
    Black majik, suicide by subway, Freakbeat and fusion-y rock, obsessive personalities and Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce. All the ingredients.

It's weird that this hasn't seen any development. It has it all....intrigue, overnight stardom, mobsters and their girlfriends, drug habits, Texas AND LA, suicide/murder(by gasoline down the throat) and old music waiting to be re-packaged and re-marketed.

There's a guy on the BOMP! list that has a
    screenplay that I think he has sold and re-sold
    but never gets to the point of production. Agreed,
    it has all the elements of a captivating story.

Have you ever read the Kicks! article about BB4? I wish Miriam would turn that into a book....it was really amazing stuff. Bobby's brother Randy Fuller supposedly had the Salvation Army come collect his mother's stuff after she died in the 80s, and Mother Fuller had kept Bobby's room the way he left it when he split for LA in the early 60s. Imagine all of that BB4 shit turning up at your local Salvo!

• It's weird that this hasn't seen any development. It has it all....intrigue, overnight stardom, mobsters and their girlfriends, drug habits, Texas AND LA, suicide/murder(by gasoline down the throat) and old music waiting to be re-packaged and re-marketed.

Have you ever read the Kicks! article about BB4? I wish Miriam would turn that into a book....it was really amazing stuff. Bobby's brother Randy Fuller supposedly had the Salvation Army come collect his mother's stuff after she died in the 80s, and Mother Fuller had kept Bobby's room the way he left it when he split for LA in the early 60s. Imagine all of that BB4 shit turning up at your local Salvo!

Miles Davis
    Jimi Hendrix
    Kool Herc

definitely Jackie Wilson

• "Krush Groove" & "Tougher Than Leather" don't count. I'm talking a real movie about the history and career of Run-DMC.

Option 2 is a movie about Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    RUN DMC has been so chronicled in film and book. What more could a bio-movie provide? The Russell Rush story was already done.

Phil Morris. Son of Mission Impossible Greg Morris.

The only thing is do you do his whole career like RAY or do you cover one dramatic era ala ALI?

• lord234lord234 236 Posts
    THE MOST OBVIOUS ONE:

AXELROD, MUFUCKAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

This would be great!

1st choice:

2nd:

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I was looking for a Jackie Wilson clip and found this, which has JW.

Here is Jackie Wilson. Underratted and forgotten it seems.

My vote is for the Curtis Mayfield story. Which makes me think the Donny Hathaway story could be good too. Lauren Hill could play the Roberta Flack role. While I am free associating her the Jerry Butler story could be good too. He is a politician now. He is or was a Chicago alderman.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Donny Hathaway story could be good too. Lauren Hill could play the Roberta Flack role.

Just because she "covered" her song?

They look NOTHING alike. Shit, U might as well say Amy Winehouse if that the case.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    a Bob Dylan movie could be fresh.

• I have two...I'd like to see the Yellowman story. Growing up an albino in Jamaica, then killing it in the dancehall, getting cancer (face? Throat?) then coming back...Great story!

This would be great!

Salif Keita?
    Dude also deserves his own movie...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salif_Keita

Donny Hathaway story could be good too. Lauren Hill could play the Roberta Flack role.

Just because she "covered" her song?

They look NOTHING alike. Shit, U might as well say Amy Winehouse if that the case.

I thought she did a good job with that song. Casting lookalikes is a bad move. You cast talent and then let the magic of make up do the rest. Any talented actor could play Yellowman.

I think a Dylan movie just came out with half a dozen people playing Bub.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    A Curtis Mayfield story would be great who do you think could play him? As far as Donny Hathaway, I always thought Reginald Veljohnson could do it.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

And a documentary on:

Al Green would be real good. There was a great docu in the 80s I saw in the theater.

The AG story would could be shown in churches for decades. Boy rejects his father and religon, finds fame and fortune but is spirtually lost, has boiling grits thrown on him, turns back to God and finds peace. There is a guy who dresses in drag and specializes in these redemption movies. Can't think of his name.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

Lalo Schifrin

Michael Franks

Johnny Guitar Watson

Donny Hathaway

Joe Walsh

Billy Preston

Cameo

Bar Kays

E 40

Sly

AWB

Van Halen

George Clinton

Hall 'n Oates

Steve Miller

Lalo Schifrin

Michael Franks

Johnny Guitar Watson

Donny Hathaway

Joe Walsh

Billy Preston

Cameo

Bar Kays

E 40

Sly

AWB

Van Halen

George Clinton

Hall 'n Oates

Steve Miller

I don't get your list. Did these people live interesting lives? Did they change the course of music?

THE STEVE MILLER STORY:
    A doctor's son meets great blues musicians, steals their music, follows pop trends! BLUES ROCK! PSYCHADELIC!! BLUES ROCK!!! DISCO!!!! BLUES ROCK!!!!!
    FINALLY THE TRUE STORY CAN BE TOLD!

Lalo Schifrin

Michael Franks

Johnny Guitar Watson

Donny Hathaway

Joe Walsh

Billy Preston

Cameo

Bar Kays

E 40

Sly

AWB

Van Halen

George Clinton

Hall 'n Oates

Steve Miller

I don't get your list. Did these people live interesting lives? Did they change the course of music?

THE STEVE MILLER STORY:
    A doctor's son meets great blues musicians, steals their music, follows pop trends! BLUES ROCK! PSYCHADELIC!! BLUES ROCK!!! DISCO!!!! BLUES ROCK!!!!!
    I'm not sure there is anything to get. These are just artists or bands I would like to see movies about. And yes I think these people had/have interesting lives.

Ice Cube

Dr Dre

Lalo Schifrin

Michael Franks

Johnny Guitar Watson

Donny Hathaway

Joe Walsh

Billy Preston

Cameo

Bar Kays

E 40

Sly

AWB

Van Halen

George Clinton

Hall 'n Oates

Steve Miller

THE STEVE MILLER STORY:
    I'm not sure there is anything to get. These are just artists or bands I would like to see movies about. And yes I think these people had/have interesting lives.

I'll bite.

Please give us a sip of the juice regarding the fascinating lives led by Michael Franks and the members of the Average White Band, I am intrigued!

THE MOST OBVIOUS ONE:

AXELROD, MUFUCKAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL

Is Stones Throw down or something?

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts

• This one, for me, is a no-brainer.

Funkadelic all the way. Westbound acid rock era, please.