List Heat Lps you found in that grandma crate

kalakala 3,361 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
I'm talkin bout a whole crate of lawrence welk and mitch miller and boston pops and al hirt then all of the sudden at the end of the crate you find one totally out of context joint/grail/rarerroy meriweather's nubian lady in a child's hospital charity shopand the anna soundtrack by serge gainsbourg in a thrift on main st in a small town in upstate ny

Comments

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    my aunt had left some records at the g-ma's house and said i could have them. i was looking through and came out with superfly, black oak arkansas (hot and nasty), babe ruth (the mexican), and the truck turner soundtrack, sealed! this was 1992 so these were pretty cool finds for me....

this cat i used to work with gave me a box of his crap records one day and going through those i came up on the outlaw blues band "breaking in," in there with some random crap.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I just went through an easy listening grandma collection (no classical). I just pulled an Orpheus LP.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I went to an old family friends house early last year because he had called me saying he had some speakers he thought I might like. This guy was way cool to me when I was a kid and after a stroke at a fairly young age, he's now in a wheel chair and not that well. Me and my girl went mostly to just spend the day with him and talk music. He was into soul and funk and stuff back in the day, which ain't the common in Australia.

Anyway, at the end of the day we head down to his garage to grab the speakers and he has this crate of records sitting there. He's like 'I'm gonna chuck that out, so anything in there you want, just take.' We flick through and find the usual mainstream disco stuff like Chaka Khan, Car wash soundtrack, and a few other good commons... and then nestled in between some 80s cheese is a copy of the self-titled Beginning of the End LP. I couldn't fucking believe it.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I'm talkin bout a whole crate of lawrence welk and mitch miller and boston pops and al hirt then all of the sudden at the end of the crate you find one totally out of context joint/grail/rarer

roy meriweather's nubian lady in a child's hospital charity shop
    and the anna soundtrack by serge gainsbourg in a thrift on main st in a small town in upstate ny

There was this store in Pasadena that specializes in classical and dixieland so much of the record collections that they bought would contain these, every once in a while amongs the Mozart & Bach's head colections I'd find things like Eugene McDaniels "Outlaw" Sylvers II, and Dorothy Ashby. always surprised me.

You ever get that feeling where you find a record you wanted that had a going rate more than what you were able to spend and you come across it for a quarter? thats exactly what this place was all about.

The spot is still around and I know that here in LA
    but they don't seem to buy vinyl anymore and with that those days have come to an end

• tirefiretirefire 203 Posts
    The most surprised I can remember being is when I was in high school looking for shirts at my small-town Iowa thrift shop. The records at this place were strictly terrible, and the all the years I lived there, I only found two that I bought. One was a private press of a Minnesota fiddler doing Scandinavian dance tunes, and the other was:

nestled in between two Jim Nabors records.

I couldn't believe my eyes.

• downtown72downtown72 125 Posts
    "We want to drop off some of my mom's records," they said when they came into the shop. "We have 3 boxes and we'll bring in one to see if you want 'em."

So the usual suspects in that box and a couple Aretha's so i'm like "Well, i can give you like $10 for everything but (as i'm thinking even that's too much!) there's really not much i can use."

"We were just gonna drop 'em off at Goodwill anyways, so thats fine"

After going through box #2 and 3, lo-and-behold, the Aposento Alto LP - in damn fine shape. And it literally almost walked out the door and i never would've knew.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I was once at a thrift store that only ever has classical LPs, I used to infrequently stop in there every few months just on the off chance, one day about 6 years ago amongst all the classical there was the Nat Adderley "Nat" LP just sitting there, clean Australian press, looked fairly unplayed. I have never seen that record in the field since & it is still one of my favorite jazz LPs to this day. I still stop by that same thrift store every few months but I am almost certain I could count the records I have bought from there on one hand & that Nat Adderley is the only title I actually remember as coming from there.

I also relieved an old lady of her 78 collection about 7 years ago, she was a friend of a friend & I went around on the offchance of finding good 78s when I was actively collecting them. I asked her what sort of music she was into & it quickly became apparent that I would be checking tons of wack 30s/40s/50s country 78s. I looked through them & right at one end of the shelf was a bunch of about 25 really clean rock & roll 78s, Elvis, Frankie Lymon, Ricky Nelson, Fats Domino etc. I bought everything & ended up dumping it all except for the cool rock & roll & a few Jimmie Rodgers 78s.

There are often instances of "where the hell did that come from" when checking old people's collection. Like another time I looked through an entire 78 collection that was only easy listening & buried amongst it was one awesome Dizzy Gillespie 78, that I couldn't buy because I refused to buy everything just for that one record.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

best cover EVAR!

Well...one of the best.

• Options
    A few years ago I was at a garage sale and went through a crate not expecting much, it was an elderly couple and the first few records were the standard Long Island garage sale stuff (Allan Sherman "My Son The Folk Singer", Whipped Cream And Other Delights, things like that). All of a sudden three in a row, Black Ivory's "Don't Turn Around" and "Baby, Won't You Change Your Mind" followed by a Wess and the Airedale's LP that has the track Blackout on it that Jazzman put on a 45.

• my grandma had area code 615-stone fox chase 45 and some isley brothers stuff.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I found a sealed copy of Songs Of Experience inbetween a bunch of Burt Bacharach LPs. It was at a store in Monterey. It cost me $4. This was back in 2000 when Axelrod was quite the hot commodity. That $4 turned into $220.

that was probably my best find in the grandma/easy listening section.