SO IS RB RUNNING THE GAME RIGHT NOW?

13»

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I agree that R. Kelly is NOT the king of r&b, if that's what you meant...

If Faux_Rillz catches you dissing Kells like that......you gone get it kid!

• I agree that R. Kelly is NOT the king of r&b, if that's what you meant...

If Faux_Rillz catches you dissing Kells like that......you gone get it kid!

Ohhh yeah i love pops longest running alleged r&b felon, and that beef with jayz around 2004 that was a choice moment in music history... well he is the king of radio pumped up singles like the im a flirt remix i'll give him that, blahzay blah

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    I love this surprise ending!

• The surprise ending is i'm actually frontin for no reason... i'll say truth in that kelly did for r&b of the 90s what jordan did bball of the 80s, BUT! this double up cd, not that its total garbage just how long can you expolit sex for until people get tired of it?? I been bumpin kelly for decades now and followed since the public annoucement days... so i'm no newjack, simply his material now falls waaaaaaay short of anything he previously did... his persona is weak now... hoes, bitchs, thuggery aint what it use to be. Oh and the zoo!! I mean seriously a joke track is exactly that a serious waste of 3:42. How anyone can justify this newest cd as anything more than sub-par is beyond my knowledge.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    R. Kelly is clearly out of his god damn mind and he is making some amazing music. You say "maybe amazing, but in the wrong way" and I ask you, is there any wrong way to be amazing? I cannot wait to see what he does next and he is easily the most engaging singer out there. He brings pure drama. He is more entertaining and unpredictable than any reality TV show. And I mean, bottom line Robert Kelly is a great soul singer, no matter how you cut it. Even if he's singing about plushies and water sports and sharing a transsexual stripper with Eve in the back of a hummer the size of a bangbus

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    R. Kelly is clearly out of his god damn mind and he is making some amazing music. You say "maybe amazing, but in the wrong way" and I ask you, is there any wrong way to be amazing? I cannot wait to see what he does next and he is easily the most engaging singer out there. He brings pure drama. He is more entertaining and unpredictable than any reality TV show. And I mean, bottom line Robert Kelly is a great soul singer, no matter how you cut it. Even if he's singing about plushies and water sports and sharing a transsexual stripper with Eve in the back of a hummer the size of a bangbus

straight up dog

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,916 Posts

One of the thing I've always liked, yet been simultaneously repulsed by, about Kells is his ability to take what are often some of the most crass and unsubtle lyrics and sentiments in modern r&b, frame them with incredibly lush arrangements and high-end production values, and deliver them as if his life depended on it. Kells doesn't just walk the tightrope between good and bad taste - he does the fucking Running Man on it.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

QFT. ALso, would you agree that kellz is pretty much on top of his whole career at this moment?

what happened to rap? I used to listen to alot of that stuff.

Also, as much as my favorite songs out right now are all R&B, i would never try to sit here and tell you that its not chick music.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Phonics is a poseur extraordinaire who sways gingerly when the wind blows.

Phonics lets the radio make his mind up for him.

While some claim the title of "tastemaker", Phonics is content to be a "swallower".

Phonics can't wait for any opportunity to say "take that, you dirty rappers".

Phonics couldn't touch the gritty Project Blowed that I once knew with a 500 mile pole.

Phonics doesn't want cheesy r-n-b to be considered "chick music" because he not-so-secretly dreams of dating Sisqo.

Phonics tries to convince himself that he wants it, but he doesn't really want it.

Phonics has all-too-obvious issues and definitely can't hang with the big boys.

Phonics will think that's he's got a leg up because these sentences indicate that "Harvey's on my jock".

Well, good for Phonics.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

QFT. ALso, would you agree that kellz is pretty much on top of his whole career at this moment?

He continues to reach new apexes.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    no way

/old head

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    What the hell is wrong with liking rap and[/b] r&b?

-e

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

-e
    harvey is stuck in an early 90s time warp and R&B = selling out

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

-e
    harvey is stuck in an early 90s time warp and R&B = selling out

I think he's just making sure that we know that R&B will never replace the Local Texas Rap Experience.

In other words, he's countering imaginary arguments again.

-e

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I just think its really funny that he doesn't realize that to most of america the biggest thing to come out of that whole houston movement was paul wall

to most of america the biggest thing to come out of that whole houston movement was DJ Screw-inspired hooks[/b]

I too like a fair amount of modern r-n-b, but this projected idea that lifelong rap fans are now turning their backs in favor of r-n-b is ludicrous at best.

Plus, isn't my territory the most likely to have a rapper double as a singer (Big Moe, Z-Ro, Chamillionaire, Chalie Boy, etc.)?

Point being, we certainly appreciate r-n-b down here. We just know how to treat it as what it is...a compliment to rap rather than a replacement.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I too like a fair amount of modern r-n-b, but this projected idea that lifelong rap fans are now turning their backs in favor of r-n-b is ludicrous at best.

Plus, isn't my territory the most likely to have a rapper double as a singer (Big Moe, Z-Ro, Chamillionaire, Chalie Boy, etc.)?

Point being, we certainly appreciate r-n-b down here. We just know how to treat it as what it is...a compliment to rap rather than a replacement.
    yr reading too much into this thread, i didn't really get the feeling anyone is getting all "RAP IS DEAD R&B IS THE FUTURE" or anything, just an observation - which seems pretty much based in fact - that R&B is hitting on the charts/streets where rap isn't at the moment.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Yep, that would be ludicrous--if anyone had actually said it.

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts

Harvey, do you read threads first or do you just come in and automatically post the same nonsense about the superiority of Texas rap and legitimacy, regardless of what is actually being talked about?

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    Phonics is a poseur extraordinaire who sways gingerly when the wind blows.

Phonics lets the radio make his mind up for him.

While some claim the title of "tastemaker", Phonics is content to be a "swallower".

Phonics can't wait for any opportunity to say "take that, you dirty rappers".

Phonics couldn't touch the gritty Project Blowed that I once knew with a 500 mile pole.

Phonics doesn't want cheesy r-n-b to be considered "chick music" because he not-so-secretly dreams of dating Sisqo.

Phonics tries to convince himself that he wants it, but he doesn't really want it.

Phonics has all-too-obvious issues and definitely can't hang with the big boys.

Phonics will think that's he's got a leg up because these sentences indicate that "Harvey's on my jock".

Well, good for Phonics.

You forgot to add "NEENER-NEENER!", Rashied.

Harvey, do you read threads first or do you just come in and automatically post the same nonsense about the superiority of Texas rap and legitimacy, regardless of what is actually being talked about?

I'm both psychic AND proactive.