Apocolypse Now v. Full Metal Jacket

white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Not sure if this is even a contest. Apocolypse Now gets the four facemelts for me. The movie melts my mind from beginning to end, the "redux" version even more so. I agree with a lot of people who say Full Metal Jacket falls off a bit when they finally get to Vietnam. Still, it's a very good if flawed Kubrick flick. I picked up the complete Dossier version of Acopolypse Now over the weekend (for $10 from Best Buy), and it is really cool. Lots of special features about the soundtrack and the way the film uses the then-fledgling stereo sound in theater. Also remembered that The Doors' "The End" is such a great song. It has almost a Free Jazz quality to it. What are some of your other favorite 'Nam movies? Platoon? Casualties of War? Jacob's Ladder?

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

What are some of your other favorite 'Nam movies?

DEER HUNTER.

• rocco2nrrocco2nr 530 Posts
    watch Tigerland if you haven't seen it. it stars colin farrell but the movie is actually really good.

• I love me some FMJ but c'mon now.....it's not even close to fuckin w/ Apocalypse Now.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    watch Tigerland if you haven't seen it. it stars colin farrell but the movie is actually really good.

And Colin Farrell is actually really good in it.

• rocco2nrrocco2nr 530 Posts

oh yeah i didnt mean to knock dude, he's on point in this one. i know he has a reputation for being in some really bad cinema.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts

Apocalypse Now is one of the greatest films ever, regardless of genre.

If you haven't seen it yet, be sure to check out Hearts of Darkness--the documentary shot by Coppola's wife that follows the film's production and the mental breakdown of FFC. I saw this on public television back in the early 90s and it completely blew my mind. RECOMMENDED

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    Apocalypse Now, no question.
    My dad is a Vietnam Vet, he said this was the only flick that gave him that nervous feeling (out of all the popular Vietnam based films)-- not because it captured reality, most of the film is clearly not based on a plausible storyline-- but because it captured the insanity of the situation as close to anything he's ever seen.

• novecentonovecento 20 Posts
    'We're like jolly green giants walking the earth with guns'

full metal jacket has the best dialogue in movies ever

oh yeah i didnt mean to knock dude, he's on point in this one. i know he has a reputation for being in some really bad cinema.

It's OK, I didn't think you were knocking. It's a little strange to me how Farrell, who's starred in a lot of crummy films, and Joel Schumacher, who's directed a lot of crummy films, happen to have done probably their best work to date with each other - Tigerland and Phone Booth. Not exactly up there with Scorsese & De Niro in terms of great actor/director partnerships, but both those flicks are a good deal more entertaining than I expected either to be.

And to get back on topic, Apocalypse Now, by miles.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    I wanna be the first kid on my block with a confirmed kill.

• Joris Ivens' "The Seventeenth Parallel" followed by "Forced Entry": the most potent Vietnam double-bill I can imagine.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    i love both films- but for me Full Metal Jacket gets the edge...

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Do not sleep on the homefront classics. Voight's performance would make Ice-T weep. Heavy duty.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Phone Booth

Embarrassingly bad. Nothing personal against you Doc, just some suspect calls today, IMHO...

Also,
    Apocalypse Now.

Also,
    WTF happened to this dude?

• bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
    "Deer Hunter"

Really though, both are good flix "apocolypse now" probably is a better movie, but "full metal jacket" has so many good scences and quotes!!!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I have to vote for FMJ.
    I love Apocolypse Now, but enjoy watching FMJ more.
    It says more to me about the duality of man.

S>Tigerland/S> should never be mentioned any where near these films.

Did any of you used to watch Tour of Duty?

I remeber as a young teenager, I'd just gotten into going out and getting drunk and a little stoned with my friends at the weekend. And this came on, just after my curfew. Can't remember if it was actually any good, but rocking out to 'paint it black', in the intro, was a must.

• Saving Private Ryan for the win.....The way that movie was shot was just fucking awesome

my top 5

1. SPR
    2. FMJ
    3. Platoon
    4. AN
    5. Purple ..lol

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Saving Private Ryan for the win.....The way that movie was shot was just fucking awesome

my top 5

1. SPR
    2. FMJ
    3. Platoon
    4. AN
    5. Purple ..lol

Uh, ignoring everything else, you know Saving Private Ryan wasn't exactly about the Vietnam war don't you?

Anyway, Apocalypse Now has to win purely because it's one of those films that wiped the floor with me on first watch and, though I don't visit it often, still floors me today.

FMJ is a brilliantly focused movie for the first half that just seems to lose it's focus and drive as soon as they leave training. Still a very good movie though.

• shit, so many good war/army/etc movies. I enjoy almost all of them. Anyone like Band of Brothers that ran on HBO a few years ago?

oh..and I go with FMJ by a close call.

• Saving Private Ryan for the win.....The way that movie was shot was just fucking awesome

my top 5

1. SPR
    2. FMJ
    3. Platoon
    4. AN
    5. Purple ..lol

Uh, ignoring everything else, you know Saving Private Ryan wasn't exactly about the Vietnam war don't you?

Anyway, Apocalypse Now has to win purely because it's one of those films that wiped the floor with me on first watch and, though I don't visit it often, still floors me today.

FMJ is a brilliantly focused movie for the first half that just seems to lose it's focus and drive as soon as they leave training. Still a very good movie though.

Yeah, I know. It was about world war 2....but the shit was so dope, you have to put it on every list about war movies...lol.

FMJ, to me was good for the first hour or so and them tailed off....it is still a great film, dont get me wrong ...but PLATOON touched me more.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts

Did any of you used to watch Tour of Duty?

I remeber as a young teenager, I'd just gotten into going out and getting drunk and a little stoned with my friends at the weekend. And this came on, just after my curfew. Can't remember if it was actually any good, but rocking out to 'paint it black', in the intro, was a must.

Man, I was a kid but I remember thinking how awesome this show was.

Phone Booth

Embarrassingly bad. Nothing personal against you Doc, just some suspect calls today, IMHO...

Hahaha! It's all good. I stand by Phone Booth, though. I like the economy of it. It would have made a good TV movie, which is arguably what it should have been, but I do think Farrell does a particularly good bullshit artist. Besides, anything with Larry Cohen's dabs on it is a must-watch for me, no matter what.

• watch Tigerland if you haven't seen it. it stars colin farrell but the movie is actually really good.

Have you tried watching this a second time? Pretty bad. I liked it at first too, but watch it again. Embarrassing dialogue, like a 16 year old wrote it. Check the scene when Colin and a buddy are sitting on a wall or some shit at night talking. Hilarious.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i never understood the respect this flick has gotten. fmj on the other hand is brilliant from beginning to end. no other movie points out the insanity of war like the ending of that movie. apocolypse, as much as i love the movie, falls apart way more than fmj at the end.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Yes!

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I saw full metal jacket opening night, was beyond psyched to see it. A major disappointment IMO. As most have noted the second half is aimless. Par for the course for Kubrick who's films are always a little dissapointing save "Dr Strangleove" and "Clockwork Orange".

Apocalypse is a near masterpiece. Then end, by Coppola's own admission, cannot match the opening half with Duval in one of the great performances. I love Coppolas quote from Cannes where the filmed debuted. "This movie is not about Vietnam. It is Vietnam."

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    save "Dr Strangleove" and "Clockwork Orange".

I believe you forgot about a little slice of brilliance called 2001.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Phone Booth

Yeah the obvious HUGE fuck-up in the film being that there ARE NO FUCKING PHONEBOOTHS IN NYC.