I need some more gay...

2»

Comments

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    1) what's taboo?

2) enlighten us

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    I did a similar event in NY and did like a Larry Levan/ Paradise Garage kind of set:
    Heartbeat /Don't Make Me Wait /Let's Go Dancin' / Is It All Over My Face[/b] (is the best track ever) /When You Touch Me /etc...

It went over really well- this "community" knows music. So I wouldn't go down the "erasure/pet shop boys" route necessarily.... A little too obvious.
    exxxxxxactly.

maybe if the gay men are older they would get into that more. But since it is a pride thing it is most likely both young and old.

I was at a crazy drag show last night in Chicago at The Batan. Lemme say, they like nasty shit. So anything scandalous. And say "gorgeous" as much as possible.

• I did a similar event in NY and did like a Larry Levan/ Paradise Garage kind of set:
    Heartbeat /Don't Make Me Wait /Let's Go Dancin' / Is It All Over My Face /When You Touch Me /etc...

It went over really well- this "community" knows music. So I wouldn't go down the "erasure/pet shop boys" route necessarily.... A little too obvious.

hell yeah. back when the vinyl section of tower was being amputated, I purchased this box set for $2. some of my favorite disco.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    my recommendations are a cert. Don't ask me how I know.

• you have to play the greatest underground disco cut of all time:

hit and run by loletta hathaway ( I think I botched the spelling) the walter gibbons remix ...people will go crazy over it ..it kinda starts of like "melodies" ( by made usa), where it starts off slow and then speeds up.

• Alicia Myers- I Wanna Thank You
    Fonda Rae - Over Like A Fat Rat
    some Evelyn King
    Soho
    Jack The Groove
    etc

Class Action- Weekends (either mix)

• cheebahazecheebahaze 235 Posts

Throw in some Kylie Minogue... That should satisfy.

Always a hit at Sydney gay mardi gras after party.

This information has been relayed to me and was not

gathered from personal experiernce.

Anyway, i'll shut up now.

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    I dj'ed a pride party last saturday night. Just played my usual fuck/soul/80's hip hop & ALL the disco/french house I have. Played alot of peaches and some top 40ish blends (feel good inc, dub be good to me, beastie boys etc over more obscure shit)

Went down a treat, but it was mostly lesbians.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I did a similar event in NY and did like a Larry Levan/ Paradise Garage kind of set:
    Heartbeat /Don't Make Me Wait /Let's Go Dancin' / Is It All Over My Face /When You Touch Me /etc...

This is also what I'd go for - just good, classic dance music a la Levan.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    some of you guys sound out of touch with recommending disco/80s stuff. no disrespect, i love that stuff, but that's not what gay people listen to solely.

just play anything that a (teenage) girl would want to hear and you'll be fine. de gays always ask me to play fergie, nelly, justin, kelly (clarkson)... pretty much shit that club going girls like.

uptempo stuff dj assault stuff, shit like cajmere's "percolator", and some throwback house stuff that heads will start voguein' to - robin s, crystal waters, blah blah blah..., also since this is new york, there will probably be some boriquas on the set, so you should get up on some freestyle.

give them some nasty like khia's "my neck, my back" (and too $hort's response to that track), "oochie wally", akon "i wanna fuck you", etc.

• Options
    Miss Kittin "Frank Sinatra". Danny Teneglia used to play the shit out of it, it's an electro house track and would serve you well at some point in the 7 hours.

• Whitney Houston - I Wanna Dance With Somebody, you really must play this song
    Donna Summer - Hot Stuff/Bad Girls (preferably the 12 inch with both song segued into each other while you take a bathroom break)
    When In Rome - Promise
    Leo Sayer - You Make Me Feel Like Dancing (seriously)
    Queen - I want to Break Free
    David Bowie - Boys Keep Swinging
    Bruce Springsteen - Dancing In The Dark (lesbians LOVE the boss, seek out the extended authur baker 12 inch version)
    Berlin - Take My Breath Away (top gun slow jam, will work better than it should)
    Loleatta Holloway - The Greatest Performance of My Life (i got sooo higggh)
    some Beyonce, some Gwen, some Madonna...lots of Madonna, maybe some Britney if you can handle it

I have a weekly Gay/Lesbian dance night so PM me if you really need some more help, for me it's all about balancing the new pop(will.i.am productions)/pop-rap (UNK and the like) shit that people want to hear, with the disco/80's classics they may or may not know. I just go all over the place but stay in control, like janet...you should add that to the list

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    some of you guys sound out of touch with recommending disco/80s stuff. no disrespect, i love that stuff, but that's not what gay people listen to solely.

just play anything that a (teenage) girl would want to hear and you'll be fine. de gays always ask me to play fergie, nelly, justin, kelly (clarkson)... pretty much shit that club going girls like.

uptempo stuff dj assault stuff, shit like cajmere's "percolator", and some throwback house stuff that heads will start voguein' to - robin s, crystal waters, blah blah blah..., also since this is new york, there will probably be some boriquas on the set, so you should get up on some freestyle.

give them some nasty like khia's "my neck, my back" (and too $hort's response to that track), "oochie wally", akon "i wanna fuck you", etc.

Agree 100% although I wouldn't say the disco recs are wrong... just not the Donna Summer, Pet Shop Boys shit. I do well with loft classics... no matter the age group

But damn yall, it's not like you suck a cock and all of a sudden your musical tastes change, the Gay community is diverse and dudes are into all different kinds of music... that should be kind of obvious

Some dudes will love the paradise garage vibe, some dudes will love the Fergie, some dudes will hate it all because they only listen to classical, some dudes will queen the fuck out and have a dance off in the middle of the floor when you play Cam'Ron "Suck It Or Not".

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts

But damn yall, it's not like you suck a cock and all of a sudden your musical tastes change, the Gay community is diverse and dudes are into all different kinds of music... that should be kind of obvious

That is a point that needs emphasis. Hell, some of my gay friends rock out to Can and the Stooges (though they may also have a soft spot for Justin Timberlake).

He's got seven hours to fill (150 songs?) ... I'm thinking any of the above recommendations will be appropriate at some point during the event. No point trying to box into any particular sound/era for the whole time.

• this thread is hilarious, if I was you Id play some some Psychic TV acid house, bring some electro, play some raps stay away from the elton john, that's on some real disconnected shit, but play mariah's fantasy and that sort of stuff, this shouldnt be to hard to figure out, play shit party people will want to dance too.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

hell yeah. back when the vinyl section of tower was being amputated, I purchased this box set for $2. some of my favorite disco.

I think we all need some more gay

stick with Loft/Paradise Garage/Chicago House/Detroit Techno and you will be straight.

uh.....I mean, gay....no wait...

• i disagree with "sticking with" anything if your going to be DJaying for more than 2 hours.

It's its connected to a pride parade I'd imagine a whole bunch of generations will be there, you gotta give something to everyone. by the end you should have everyone forming a "love train" and/or "friendship train".

and if you play "funky town" go for the 7" version