I need some more gay...

captainplanetcaptainplanet 626 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
...music in my crate. Doing a huge pride party at a reputable spot in the heart of the west village on Sunday after the parade. I'm a bit nervous that I don't have enough gay anthems. I don't want to be dropping YMCA, i feel like that's some older generation ish. Who's outta the closet enough to help me with some selections? I'm thinkin soulful disco/house type tracks. Whatchoo all think? Hatters and bashers be warned, the ghost of transexuals past will haunt your wet dreams if you try to fuck with my thread.

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

• okay. so far Samwell is my fav suggestion. the top 100 is more in the macho man ymca abba vein. It's not like I'm tryin to be tasteless for a night... there's a few good things on that list, but these aren't gay becky's for the most part. People who are throwing the party are closer to the young hipster generation. They want to hear gloria gaynor about as much as you do, assuming you don't want to hear that song again.

more house joints would be good. trax music. electro. I'm trying to dig up one of those house music threads from a while back...

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    ...music in my crate. Doing a huge pride party at a reputable spot in the heart of the west village on Sunday after the parade. I'm a bit nervous that I don't have enough gay anthems. I don't want to be dropping YMCA, i feel like that's some older generation ish. Who's outta the closet enough to help me with some selections?

I'm thinkin soulful disco/house type tracks. Whatchoo all think? Hatters and bashers be warned, the ghost of transexuals past will haunt your wet dreams if you try to fuck with my thread.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    okay. so far Samwell is my fav suggestion. the top 100 is more in the macho man ymca abba vein. It's not like I'm tryin to be tasteless for a night... there's a few good things on that list, but these aren't gay becky's for the most part. People who are throwing the party are closer to the young hipster generation. They want to hear gloria gaynor about as much as you do, assuming you don't want to hear that song again.

more house joints would be good. trax music. electro. I'm trying to dig up one of those house music threads from a while back...

well, happy to say I'm

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Isn't Phonics in the Deep Dickollective? Ask him.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    I played a pride parade party down in Houston, Montrose, the neightborhood it's in floods with folks and all roads are closed. I was on my way to play and almost there when I only then remembered I was playing a pride party. My record bag that night was nothing but funk and soul 45s. I walked in the place and it was packed dick to ass to dick to ass, with trannys dancing on top of the bar and crazy shit like that. It was one hell of a party. I figure, fuck it, it would take me the better part of the night just to get back to my house to get other records, so I'm just gonna drop some funk and see what happens and the most unexpected thing happend, they were all about it and danced their fake boobs off. Afterwards the bar owner/promoter told me they loved it and asked me if I was interested in doing a residency gig there.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Pet Shop Boys
    Erasure
    Elton John

etc etc etc

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    ...music in my crate. Doing a huge pride party at a reputable spot in the heart of the west village on Sunday after the parade. I'm a bit nervous that I don't have enough gay anthems. I don't want to be dropping YMCA, i feel like that's some older generation ish. Who's outta the closet enough to help me with some selections?

I'm thinkin soulful disco/house type tracks. Whatchoo all think? Hatters and bashers be warned, the ghost of transexuals past will haunt your wet dreams if you try to fuck with my thread.

Good one. You probably can't go wrong with "I Feel Love," either. Maybe some of that Scissor Sisters stuff from a couple years back?

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    You probably can't go wrong with "I Feel Love," either.

That was my first thought.

Then any 80s new wave hits:
    Human League - Don't you want me
    Waitresses - I know what boys like
    Duran Duran - Girls on Film

• word word. thanks folks.

and pointman, I will definitely be dropping some funk & soul into the mix as well. I just want to have my bases covered since it's a 7 hour set

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    leave Boscoe at home for this one.

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    Linda Clifford - Going back to my roots. but any version of this track will do.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Peech Boys
    Free Man

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

Um, that was me, actually.

I've played a number of gay parties, but for the most part, they've been parties for gay folks who wanna hear "mainstream rap" etc. in a gay-friendly environment.

My wife and I were recently booked for just such a party in Oakland where they want all reggae and dancehall. We'll see how that goes.

You're in it? Or did you just dj a party of theirs? Big difference, I would think.

My wife and I were recently booked for just such a party in Oakland where they want all reggae and dancehall. We'll see how that goes.

Umm...more fiya.

• Alicia Myers- I Wanna Thank You
    Fonda Rae - Over Like A Fat Rat
    some Evelyn King
    Soho
    Jack The Groove
    etc

• Class Action- Weekends (either mix)

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

You're in it? Or did you just dj a party of theirs? Big difference, I would think.

I was DDC's DJ for a number of years. Haven't done anything with them in a while, though, mainly because they're not that active.

less fiyah.

Should be easy enough. I never play those songs anyway.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    Mikah 9

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    David Bowie - Let's Dance

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i know its like, taboo to even front like yr remotely connected to the GAY EXPERIENCE but many of you sound mad disconnected

• i know its like, taboo to even front like yr remotely connected to the GAY EXPERIENCE but many of you sound mad disconnected

1) what's taboo?
    2) enlighten us

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    I did a similar event in NY and did like a Larry Levan/ Paradise Garage kind of set:
    Heartbeat /Don't Make Me Wait /Let's Go Dancin' / Is It All Over My Face /When You Touch Me /etc...

It went over really well- this "community" knows music. So I wouldn't go down the "erasure/pet shop boys" route necessarily.... A little too obvious.

I was DDC's DJ for a number of years. Haven't done anything with them in a while, though, mainly because they're not that active.

Damn, dude...more power to you I suppose, but...more fiya!!!

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

That is funny. Also funny that noone mentioned tiga yet. Or is it also too obvious?

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    they want all reggae and dancehall.

I'm going to go out here on a limb and assume you probably won't be playing "Boom Bye Bye"...

• jazzercismjazzercism 838 Posts

Damn, dude...more power to you I suppose, but...more fiya!!!

• tirefiretirefire 203 Posts
    Is Spencer Davis - "I'm a Man" too obvious? There's also that corny disco version by Macho.

• HeddyHeddy 131 Posts
    Peaches...Depeche Mode