Who is your current favorite female mc?

Comments

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    It's really fucking sad that Medusa doesn't have more officially released shit. She's fucking great.

-e

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Sha Rock

Definitely one of the greats

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    Shit, just looked through my collection and its seem I haven???t bought anything by a female MC since the ???Boss??? album! Guess I???m just not feeling females on the MIC like I used to. On my MP3 player I got that Foxy track ???Like candy??? or whatever its called and that???s it.

Best female rap ever:

Shit was raw (And yes I know it was ghost written)

Best female MC ever though is probity Lauren Hill, when she shines she shines.
    The bird from Digable isn???t to shabby either.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I dont know much about female MCs, in fact when I hear the phrase "female MCs" all I can think about was "Cappucino" blastin out of my boy Brett's dorm room when we were freshman. But the other night I was watchin this local memphis hip-hop TV show called "Da Show", a real ghetto-ass TV show and they had this lady on named Ms. Kra-zee(sic?) and showed some of her videos and I thought she was cool because she looked crazy as hell and also seemed like she could beat the shit outta me if she wanted to.

• Options
    I see here all the time around my way. Her and her man (Baby Sham) shop at Natural Land Grocery Store on Flatbush. She once screamed at him horribly because he went and got the wrong brand of sushi.

I saw her around your way once too, on the corner of Flatbush and 7th av by the subway. Getting out of a black Range, and some kid on the street yells "Yo Foxy, YOU GOT THE ILL NANA!!". Her eyes bugged out on him.

Oh, and the Bahamadia "Paper Thin" 12" is one of my favorites, plus some Heather B "My Kind of N**ga" w/ MOP, and also that Paula Perry "Extra Extra" and Eve "Who's That Girl" are probably my favorite female singles off the top of my head.

Overall though, I say Lyte.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Oh, and the Bahamadia "Paper Thin" 12"

I wouldn't mind having that joint. I heard Babu play it once yeaaaaaaaaars ago and I haven't heard it since.

• how come this thread is 3 pages long and i didn't see one person list MISSY ELLIOT

yeah yeah, roxanne shante this MC lyte that...they are dope (i like Ms. Melody too...or i like "to sing all night" a lot)...but really missy is dope as fuck, and if you are a DJ she's got a ton of records that you NEED to bring with you always, and her shit will never get old. along with prince/MJ/madonna i say that it is absolutly necessary to bring missy elliot with you if you are trying to rock a party....i can't say that about any other female emcee.

how come this thread is 3 pages long and i didn't see one person list MISSY ELLIOT

yeah yeah, roxanne shante this MC lyte that...they are dope (i like Ms. Melody too...or i like "to sing all night" a lot)...but really missy is dope as fuck, and if you are a DJ she's got a ton of records that you NEED to bring with you always, and her shit will never get old. along with prince/MJ/madonna i say that it is absolutly necessary to bring missy elliot with you if you are trying to rock a party....i can't say that about any other female emcee.

She's got some great records, but they're not great because of her MCing...

• She's got some great records, but they're not great because of her MCing...

i dunno, i mean yeah timbo is the main attraction when it comes to missy, or he's why you are checking for the records in the first place but she's got flow, she gets creative with her song concepts too. i once heard that to write songs she visualizes the music video first, than writes a song to that.

i think over the years she has stepped up her MCing game too...under construction is a SOLID album, i think i even like her version of bring the pain better than the OG

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Best female rap ever:

A-ight, I was waiting for somebody to include them in this discussion. Their early sh*t was CRAZY.

I guess all things considered I'd have to say Lauren (wack??? WACK??? never that, son!!! Lauren's one of the best period to me!). Lyte had the raw voice and delivery ("ya f**kin' liar, ya chasin' a chuck wagon"- that sh*t is CLASSIC), but I don't think she wrote all of her own stuff... maybe I'm wrong about that, though. Kim and Foxy... nah to both, although each of them have had a few top notch performances. The problem with most of the current ladies in rap is that they don't really stand out from each other- I have a problem telling who's who half the time.
    Although there have been many dope rap chicks, I think I'm still waiting for that one female emcee who makes my jaw totally drop- at this point I'm doubting that I will ever see her.

• No love for Sweet T? Was she the first?

I like Monie Love.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    what about Pebbley Poo? haha

ok no but really...

Sparky D was dope, Throwdown was a real dope song.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Current: no one. I mean, there are people who I think are "cool"...like Apani B Fly Emcee but I don't find her particularly exciting in the way that MC Lyte was.

If I had to choose the female MC who, on any given outing, might drop some hot shit, I'd probably say Jean Grae, despite my other issues with her.

And yeah, Lyte, hands-down, fiercest female MC on the mic (ghostwritten lines or not). Latifah's been the most consistent but her best work isn't fucking with "Cha Cha Cha" or "10% Dis".

I disagree that Lauryn would be wack if she were a guy. But she squandered a lot of her illness by going all Tracy Chapman. Lyte fell off too but not nearly as spectacularly.

And Sweet T had some joints - I'm surprised no one else brought her up until two posts ago.

Mystic never lived up to her potential IMO, but her verse on The B.U.M.S. "Lyfe N' Times" is siiiiiiick.

Yo Yo's third album (after "Black Pearl") is damn nice. Shante had some dope songs but never an album that jelled for me.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    ok, i dont know the lady's name, but she had 1 verse on "microphone enhancer". it was some west coast san diego joint. i think it was an EP. i mean, im not big on lyrics or anything, but i always always remember hers.

• Jean Grae. Her freestyle over the " You Don't Know 2 " joint kinda solidified that she can bring it. I also like Invincible out of Detroit.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    ok, i dont know the lady's name, but she had 1 verse on "microphone enhancer". it was some west coast san diego joint. i think it was an EP. i mean, im not big on lyrics or anything, but i always always remember hers.

You know in the 10 years or so that i've had that I think I listened to the vocal version maybe once.

for shame

And I can't believe only one shout for ROXANNE SHANTE??

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    i like that female MC on Natural Resource "Bum Deals". whoever that was.

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts

LYTE

PATTI DUKE

JANE DOE

INVINCIBLE

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts
    Latifah's been the most consistent but her best work isn't fucking with "Cha Cha Cha" or "10% Dis"

Although Wrath of My Madness is up there.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    (cough) Angie Martinez?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

That was What?What?, who is now Jean Grae. She was amazing on that track.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

What ya'll know about What What on Herbaliser's "New + Improved"? HOt shit.

As it is, there's a new Herbaliser album coming out with Jean Grae on a few songs, including one where I get dissed again. Damn - Grae owes me some royalty ends, ym?

As it is, there's a new Herbaliser album coming out with Jean Grae on a few songs, including one where I get dissed again. Damn - Grae owes me some royalty ends, ym?

Oliver, man, have you listened to that What What + Herbaliser stuff recently? Seriously corny--especially the "spoken word" joint.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

She must have a sweet spot for you, Oli**r...y'know, how you can't stop talking about your crush.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Unfortunately, so many of my favorites are based on single digit number of performances. But here's some that deserve recognition...

J.J. Fadd
    L'Trimm
    Sequence
    2 Much
    Ms. Nikki D (who is from Detroit and I believe not *the* Nikki D
    L.A. Star

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    mc trouble had a good SONG.
    "BIG OL' JAZZ" was a banger. good Main Source production. sleeper

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I can't believe we've forgotten Michie Mee. This was a good album.

The video mix of Jamaican Funk was FYAH!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

I can't believe we've forgotten Michie Mee.

Whoa - no shit! On This Mike was at every basement party for a while.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    mc trouble had a good SONG.
    "BIG OL' JAZZ" was a banger. good Main Source production. sleeper
    bastard. that came on in the lemon today and i was going to mention it...you beat me to it. yessir...i really like that track.

i dunno what she's up to now, but Gaia from Infectious Organisms was a local favorite for me.

• pam the funkstress

sonya blade

left eye

missy elliot

debbie harris

hurricane g

charli baltimore

common (via electric circus)

ayo?