wall / expedit

chasechase 767 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
I'm at work, I need some grail on grail action

Comments

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    This probably isn't related to your post. I've been searching for a freaking IKEA expedit since DECEMBER. I see there's 2 for sale for $50 on LA's Craigslist. I'm wondering if it's worth it to drive a 72x72 size bookshelf to Vegas.

- spidey

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    you can build your own with higher quality results for a bit more cash if you've ever done any cabinetry or shelving construction. It's not too hard.

Also: West Elm/Williams Sonoma have some nicer versions, but they are pretty pricey. Target has been ripping off both those manufacturers aesthetically for a while, check the Target website.

If you're stuck on an expedit, it's probably not worth the trip. Just have them ship one to you: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/range/10364/10382/

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Shipping will cost you more than the unit itself, though.

hm.. My girlfriend had me checking out the Target one, but it's too small. I'd have to stack multiple shelves to fit my records.

Well... I guess it wouldn't be too expensive to build. I'm pretty handy with some Melamine wood. Looking at the picture the Perimeter is about 2 1/2" - 3" thickness? Then I'm guessing 4 1" planks, and then 4 more 1" planks cut into 4 shelves. Is that roughly how the Expedit is constructed?

- spidey

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    them outside shits is hollow!
    no need to spend on wood that thick, if you build it right, it will be strong enough without using a different thickness on the outer perimeter. If I were building one, I wouldn't use mellamine though, the shit flexes too much. Just stick w/ either solids, or better yet, decent 3/4" ply. If you use maple or something decent, you can do iron edging, and it will look good. With that route, I would do solid horizontals, countersunk screws for the supports on the top of each row, hidden by the supports above, and some biscuit joined top for that cleanliness.
    It all makes sense in my head. I realize that's not very clear.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    where's the raer?

• I'm waiting for Ikea to hurry the hell up and open a store in Florida already. They totally missed the boat coming in after the housing boom. I just want some damn sheleves i don't need to make myself.

Alright so, this is my sketch I'm taking with me to Home Depot. Getting some cheapie Ply. Countersunk screws for the top and bottom connecting to the shelfs, and Metal dowels to hold individual shelves together. I don't know anything about Iron Edging, but I'm decent with some Stain. Biscuits? I should've taken a wood class in highschool.

- spidey

• tjamestjames 156 Posts

With the larger Expedit (5 x 5 units) I've seen them sag and seperate from the top when positioned on an uneven floor. I've seen some clever shimmimg done to counter this or you could build narrower units (i.e. 2 wide by 4 or 5 high).

• chasechase 767 Posts
    I'm waiting for Ikea to hurry the hell up and open a store in Florida already. They totally missed the boat coming in after the housing boom. I just want some damn sheleves i don't need to make myself.

There is one going to open here in Tampa, but not until 2009.

• yea, orlando is coming in the next year i heard though. i had to pay almost as much as the expedits cost to get them shipped to me.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I'm at work, I need some grail on grail action

And still no raer? Enough with the shelf-talk peoples.

I need grail on grail action too!

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    the ikea in my area (bay area) mailed out coupons, save $20 for a purchase of over 100. they used to do student discounts a few years back but stopped it all of a sudden.

• I'm in the market for some shelves myself. Was gonna go the expedit route, but came across these (http://www.gothiccabinetcraft.com/shelf-rack-base-14x30x42-p-2300.html?cPath=2_28) and was wondering if anyone knew about the difference in quality. I figure real wood and setup flexibility could outweigh the price difference. Any insight is greatly appreciated.