How does one go about reporting a doctor that....

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
my mothers doctor has been prescribing her WAYYY too many addictive and strong narcotics for tooo long. I have had it and plan to report him and try to finally put an end to this..whether it means being disowned by my own mother or not. Oxycontin,Tylox,Lortabs,Valiums,Soma, plus more on a monthly basis. I have had it. It has ruined her life(as well as getting me addicted to hydrocone myself by constantly giving them to me) as she has been addicted to pharmies since she was a teenager(thanks to this same motherfucking doctor). I just called the doctor just to be told in a VERY rude way by the doc's daughter(his receptionist) that he has been overprescribing my mother for YEARS and I am sick of it and the shit has to stop. She basically told me to fuck off and it was none of my business and then hung up on me. What do I do now? Who do I turn to? I have to stop this shit. I have had enough.Sorry to bring this kinda personal shit into this forum, but I know there are a lot of intelligent people here and figured someone here could be of help.

Comments

• do I contact the DEA or what? I am clueless.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    maybe its finally time to get a second opinion. Im very sorry to hear that. My ex-fiance's mother was in the same shoes a few years back.

Almost the exact same pills, too. She went to a counselor and a different doctor, and got some help. It took some time, but it was worth not seeing her like that.

Man, I would sue the fuck outta this dude, but I suppose thats the american side of me speaking.

Sorry, SC.

Good Luck

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    first, if I were you I would try to document all the perscriptions she takes and the reasons for each and every pill prescribed. then I would try to contact the state medical board and see if they can lead you down the right path.

The bigger worry may be your mother, if she is truly an addict to these things kicking will be a bitch and not only that, but she's going to have to want to kick or it won't take. Don't allow your frustrations to get the best of you in this situation, you may want to look into al-anon programs for yourself

South Carolina Medical Board
    http://www.llr.state.sc.us/pol/medical/

alanon
    http://www.al-anonfamilygroups.org/meetings/meeting.html

Good luck

• maybe its finally time to get a second opinion. Im very sorry to hear that. My ex-fiance's mother was in the same shoes a few years back.

Almost the exact same pills, too. She went to a counselor and a different doctor, and got some help. It took some time, but it was worth not seeing her like that.

Man, I would sue the fuck outta this dude, but I suppose thats the american side of me speaking.

Sorry, SC.

Good Luck

See, the difference with your situation and mine is my mother doesnt want the second opinion. She LOVES her doctor. Why? Because its her dopeman..and has been since she was a teenager. She is poor(no income whatsoever, but married to a complete idiot of a husband that just puts up with it as long as he has his pot to smoke and is so fucking stupid he believes anything she tells him regarding her "illness") and has no way of paying for a counselor,treatment, or anything like that, and he sure as hell wouldnt pay for it...I honestly think she'd take her own life before she did any of that anyway. On top of EVERYTHING, she is trying to get full custody of my 16 yr old cousin(he is currently living w/ her) that had his mother tragically taken away from him when she was killed on this past Mothers Day. It is just one big FUCKED UP situation, and I refuse to see my cousin grow up with drug addicted parents/guardians and witness the kind of shit I had to see as a child growing up. It is just not fair to him..he already has enough to deal with being he just lost his mother and doesnt know his father. I dont know...my mind is fucking spinning right now. Sorry to bring this kind of downer to the Strut.

• first, if I were you I would try to document all the perscriptions she takes and the reasons for each and every pill prescribed. then I would try to contact the state medical board and see if they can lead you down the right path.

The bigger worry may be your mother, if she is truly an addict to these things kicking will be a bitch and not only that, but she's going to have to want to kick or it won't take. Don't allow your frustrations to get the best of you in this situation, you may want to look into al-anon programs for yourself

alanon

Good luck

How would I go about documenting what she takes? I know what she takes...and I know she goes through it all in a week or less(a months supply). After my last phone call with her(and her doc, which I am sure she will hear about soon enough), I will not be allowed in her house. I am guessing you meant to round up all of her pill bottles or something? That aint gonna happen..trust me.

and thanks to both of you for your input..it really does mean a lot.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    first, if I were you I would try to document all the perscriptions she takes and the reasons for each and every pill prescribed. then I would try to contact the state medical board and see if they can lead you down the right path.

alanon

Good luck

How would I go about documenting what she takes? I know what she takes...and I know she goes through it all in a week or less(a months supply). After my last phone call with her(and her doc, which I am sure she will hear about soon enough), I will not be allowed in her house. I am guessing you meant to round up all of her pill bottles or something? That aint gonna happen..trust me.

and thanks to both of you for your input..it really does mean a lot.

yeah, I would suggest rounding up her pill bottles, I don't know your family situation but if yor on good terms with someone that lives with her you might want to ask them to do so. Get the dosage, the amount of pills and any other info written on the bottle.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this and wish you the best possible outcome

• GET A LAWYER!

Take your situation to a lawyer... First, see if you can find a lawyer that offers free consultation and go from there

A couple of people have already mentioned medical boards, which is a good thing to do as well.

Im not sure where you live. However, if you live in a major city, go talk to the council person or alderman of your district. That's what they are there for, to handle busniess/financial problems in the community or neighborhood.

• GET A LAWYER!

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Don't waste your time/money with a lawyer until you find out if anybody is, in fact, doing anything illegal. It seems like the State Board of Medical Examiners is the best place to start. Best of luck to you, that sounds like a terrible situation to be in.

• mumbosaucemumbosauce 480 Posts
    Don't waste your time/money with a lawyer until you find out if anybody is, in fact, doing anything illegal. It seems like the State Board of Medical Examiners is the best place to start. Best of luck to you, that sounds like a terrible situation to be in.

cosign.

plus you gotta thing if your moms been using this type of medication since her teens she is severly addicted. she will have terrible withdrawl symptoms if you just pull her off that shit.

Put her in a methadone program and psycho therapy. Or those other medicines not methadone. Methadone is higly addictive too and fatal at the wrong dosage (as with any of the drugs she is taking). Or if someone got the 20 grand to pony up for rapid detox put her through that.

Going cold turkey would be realy hard for someone with that long of an addiction and possibly fatal (in some cases have to consult a doctor on that).

It sounds really like a psychological problem. But yeah like the poster said make sure he is doing something illegal then look into what legal options you have.

• Don't waste your time/money with a lawyer until you find out if anybody is, in fact, doing anything illegal. It seems like the State Board of Medical Examiners is the best place to start. Best of luck to you, that sounds like a terrible situation to be in.

cosign.

plus you gotta thing if your moms been using this type of medication since her teens she is severly addicted. she will have terrible withdrawl symptoms if you just pull her off that shit.

Put her in a methadone program and psycho therapy. Or those other medicines not methadone. Methadone is higly addictive too and fatal at the wrong dosage (as with any of the drugs she is taking). Or if someone got the 20 grand to pony up for rapid detox put her through that.

Going cold turkey would be realy hard for someone with that long of an addiction and possibly fatal (in some cases have to consult a doctor on that).

It sounds really like a psychological problem. But yeah like the poster said make sure he is doing something illegal then look into what legal options you have.

Thanks for the advice..trust me, I know WAYYY TOO MUCH about methadone. And 20G's..haha..she aint got $20..much less that. I dont know what to do, man. As of now, I am just gonna cut her off. I have stressed my life away growing up with drug addicted parents. It's time I worry about myself instead of others. I know that might sound horrible..and terribly selfish. But its just the point I am at right now.

• Don't waste your time/money with a lawyer until you find out if anybody is, in fact, doing anything illegal. It seems like the State Board of Medical Examiners is the best place to start. Best of luck to you, that sounds like a terrible situation to be in.

That is the whole purpose of free consultation...most lawwyers do it.

Going through a board can take time, plus there is a lot of red tape that is involved.

A lawyer can give you free consultation within in minutes, especially when you are dealing with a case like malpractice, which is what this is. The doctor has over-prescribed the patient to the point where the patient's life and well being may not be recovered. ...Too much time has already lapsed. This is a true LEGAL MATTER

You dont have to spend money to get legal advice

That is the whole purpose of free consultation...most lawwyers do it.

Going through a board can take time, plus there is a lot of red tape that is involved.

A lawyer can give you free consultation within in minutes, especially when you are dealing with a case like malpractice, which is what this is. The doctor has over-prescribed the patient to the point where the patient's life and well being may not be recovered. ...Too much time has already lapsed. This is a true LEGAL MATTER

You dont have to spend money to get legal advice

But doesnt the patient have to be suing? Because that sure as hell aint gonna happen. Like I said, she loves this doc like her father(cause he has always taken care of her..with drugs). She aint about to "out" him..not a snowballs chance in hell.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Yeah, I would imagine HIPAA would prevent anybody but the patient from dealing with that matter to a certain extent, but who knows. It would have to be some kind of abnormal malpractice case, if there is a case. And there may be, and maybe free consultation wouldn't be a bad thing, but get the basic facts first. I'm willing to bet the BoME has a website with some information that might help you understand the basics before going to a lawyer.

But hey, I guess a medical malpractice lawyer would already know all of the basics so maybe they would know if there was a possible case there. It really sounds like anything's worth a shot at this point. It's really noble that you're still willing to do something about it, even if it's mostly for your cousin's sake. Most people I know who grew up with addicted parents just said fuck it and stopped trying to care.

Good luck again and best wishes to you and your family.

• I just wanted to tell everyone who offered concern or advice in this thread and in PMs that I really appreciate it and I thank all of you.

• Yeah, I would imagine HIPAA would prevent anybody but the patient from dealing with that matter to a certain extent, but who knows. It would have to be some kind of abnormal malpractice case, if there is a case. And there may be, and maybe free consultation wouldn't be a bad thing, but get the basic facts first. I'm willing to bet the BoME has a website with some information that might help you understand the basics before going to a lawyer.

But hey, I guess a medical malpractice lawyer would already know all of the basics so maybe they would know if there was a possible case there. It really sounds like anything's worth a shot at this point. It's really noble that you're still willing to do something about it, even if it's mostly for your cousin's sake. Most people I know who grew up with addicted parents just said fuck it and stopped trying to care.

Good luck again and best wishes to you and your family.

It goods to see that someone gets it. That shit has malpractice written all over it ...Free consultation is just that,consultation, no charges are being brought up at that stage

Her doctor has turned her into a drug addict.That is a criminal charge and malpractice case - and she loves this doctor? She may need some counseling as well. I'm sure the psychcological affects from all of this is astronomical.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Just picked up the NY Times Mag for tomorrow, and this is actually the cover story: 'When is a Pain Doctor a Drug Pusher.'

Here's a link for those not wanting to drop $5 on the paper.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/17/magazine/17pain-t.html?_r=1&ref=magazine&oref=slogin

• Just picked up the NY Times Mag for tomorrow, and this is actually the cover story: 'When is a Pain Doctor a Drug Pusher.'

Here's a link for those not wanting to drop $5 on the paper.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/17/magazine/17pain-t.html?_r=1&ref=magazine&oref=slogin

Wow, the doctor they are talking about practiced in Greenwood,SC(which is about 30 min away from where I live)