The "Threat" of Negative Feedback

drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
The winning bidder of an LP I recently sold to a dude in Japan on eBay says he is dissatisfied because I didn't note a bit of seam wear on the jacket. Honest mistake on my part.Then he says:
I want you to discount If you discount it, I will leave positive feedback for you.
Seems like he's using the threat of negative feedback to get some cash back from the transaction. I'm tempted to tell the guy that I don't discount items and that if he is not satisfied he can send the record back for a full refund. Or do I negotiate the amount of refund and then make a decision? Sounds like that could get kind of messy, though.What did/would you do in a situation like this?

Comments

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    discount him a few dollars and move on.
    saves you time and you win karma-wise.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    discount him a few dollars and move on.
    saves you time and you win karma-wise.

What's seam wear worth? $10-20 on a $120 LP?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    What's the LP?

How bad is the seamwear?

If you think the LP would have sold for the same amount regardless, tell him to go pound. He can return the item for a full refund.

If the seamwear is significant, and the LP might've gone for less at a lesser grade, then cut him $10-20 off.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    The LP was graded accurately. No complaints there. I really would rather not go through the hassle of a full return. I'll cut him somewhere between $10-20 and hopefully that'll be fine.

Thanks for the advice.

• If it's moderate wear and you can still read the entire spine i'd say yeah $10 or so, or send tell him that record back no excuses. Really who has time to nitpick over such things?? VG+ means just that or whatever, you'd expect a little bit of overall wear. If the spine or edges we're tore up then you can start complaining i guess. In my honest opinion buying online you have to settle for what you get so long as it's within reason of the grading. Unless that cover is graded as Excellent he should not be harrassing you for money. Way to many people are trying to get over on internet deals!!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I hate buyers who want to negotiate the price after it's been bought and paid for.

I usually tell them that I offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee and if they are unhappy they can certainly send back the LP for a full refund.

They never do.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Drew, if this dude is French, you may be in for a shiteload of asspain.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    A little spine wear is nothing! Damn all of the lp's people sell are over 30 plus years. That dude wanted something flawless, he needs to buy sealed or re-issued!!
    It's really about how the vinyl is affected. Plays with clicks, pops or is warped & not in the item discription....then I can see leaving negative feedback.