fav old school ...WWF supersat!!!!!!

2»

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    His steel cage matches with Backlund when Snuka was a bad guy were epic.

I tended to root for the bad guys (but then, I tend to do that now as well). How about the original (and possibly only) politically-inspired wrestlers:

The Iron Sheik:

and Nikolai Volkoff:

The brainstorming session where they came up with those two must have been a hoot.

"Hey, man. We need some new bad guy personalities. What's really?"

"I don't know, man. Maybe some blow will spark the ol' melon."

[i]*both sniff large quantities of coke*

"Well, there was that whole Iranian hostage thing. People are pretty pissed about that."

"Yeah, yeah. Right on. That works. What else you got?"

"Um. Uh............well, there's that cold war deal. You know - the Soviets and shit."

"BOOM. Perfect. People hate the Russkies. Run with it people!"

"But what about their signature moves and all that?"

"Whatever, man. Just, I don't know, make up something about a camel or some shit."

"Oh, word. Cool. Well, that's that. Coke break?"[/i]

FIN[/b]

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    made me think of when they turned Sgt Slaughter into an Iraqi stooge. his career never really recovered from that.

From Wikipedia:

During the mid-1980s, Sgt. Slaughter released a full length LP, The Cobra Clutch. It featured a number of original songs, including the title song, as well as a cover of Neil Diamond's "America". Slaughter's friend (presumably the songwriter) did most of the singing; Slaughter's contribution was generally just a few lines in each chorus, as he was not a great singer. The album was not well received, and few copies were sold.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

You know what I'd like to see? The Crockett Cup tournament. Never saw the 1st one. Musta been great.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I spent about 4 hours one night recently reading the back-stories on wrestlers from the 70's and 80's on Wikipedia, that shit is fascinating. Did you know Harkey Race owned the NWA promotion in St. Louis, and once showed up at a WWF card in his town with a gun, ready to protect his turf?

I used to love Championship Wrestling from Florida and Georgia back in the early 80's on WTBS. That was one of the main reason I was excited to get cable. Tommy Rich vs. Buzz Sawyer was one of the most brutal feuds ever, the WWF was like pillow fights compared to that shit.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

I used to love Championship Wrestling from Florida and Georgia

Was Kevin Sullivan in those feds?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Jake "The Snake" Roberts, hands down. Although he got more shine in Mid-South and the Southern Regional promotions during the 80s.

Are you talking about Ohio Valley Wrestling? Midwest minor leagues that was the path for many superstars into the big time...

No. Mid-South. Promotion that touched Louisiana, Arkansas, East Texas....There may have been some character overlap w/ the promotion you mentioned. JYD wrestled a lot for Mid-South....KoKo B Ware...Kamala.....lotsa cats.

He may have also been in WCCW which was the big Texas promotion w/ the Von Erichs and alla that.

Best Tag Team is a tie between the Road Warriors and the Fabulous Freebirds. Freebirds might win in a nod though.

If you're gonna talk Mid-South wrestling, you gotta talk about the tagteam matches between Junkyard Dog and Mr. Olympia versus Skandar Akbar's Samoans.

Then there was the pinnacle match when longtime partners Junkyard Dog and Mr. Olympia faced each other.

Oh, the old days...

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    as a kid in the mid to late 80's i was obsessed with wrestling. hacksaw jim duggin, the hart foundation (bret the hitman hart) and superfly snuka were some of my favorites but the beef of:

vs

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I remember TBS use to have 2-3 hour wrestling shows for the NWA on both Saturdays and Sundays. A local SF station also use to show Texas wrestling and actually had wrestling matches in their studio as well, and of course the WWF also had a series of shows on the USA Network including a very cheesy and funny talk show featuring Vince McMahon where wrestler's would sit down and talk and even cook sometimes!

My favorite old time wrestlers were:

#1) The Road Warriors - all time greats

#2) Piper vs Superfly Snuka - that shit was fantastic

#3) King Kong Bundy

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I remember when all these wrestlers who are apparently big names now used to be jobbers in the mid-90s, back when I paid attention as a young teenager. Check out this hilarious drunken Jake the Snake interview...

http://www.wrestlinggonewrong.com/video/igw_jtsr2.html

Botchamania is my shit, too.

• kinjameskinjames 19 Posts
    Randy "Macho Man" Savage and his kid brother "Leapin'" Lanny Poffo (The Poet Lauereate of the WWF) were from my home town...delivered papers to the house as a kid...Downers Grove, IL

• bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
    I have a buddy thats in WWE right now...He used to be called Danny Basham from the Basham Bros. tag team, but now he's back to his original name: "the Damaja"!
    I bet you can imagine where he got that from...His finishing move is the "Brain Damage"...

Another old school NWA wrestler was from my home town (southern indiana), "The Husler Rip Rodger"...He was the shit! Bleach blond hair pink tights and he could act and talk shit better than anyone in the biz...

• BeatsoupBeatsoup 511 Posts
    Brutus the barber beefcake lol

and

For a wrestler to win my heart they had to bring props to the show

• http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/profiles/d/doink.php

this is really the only website you'll ever need as it says.. obsessed with wrestling!!! ton's of detailed info including nearly all match-ups, greatest rivals.. ect ect, this site is

• Football pass to self!?!? OMG

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    [quote

OH SCHITT! IT'S CAS!

My personal fav's:

Ultimate Warrior: His theme song was hard and would get a younger phonics pumped.
    Hulk Hogan. His theme song as well will got me hyped and it was such a treat to see dude wrestle that you had to ride for dude.
    The Road Warriors: Two of the few wrestlers who I think would actually fuck you up in the real world if shit popped off.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Football pass to self!?!? OMG

Hahaha, Mr. Perfect. "You can't do that, Hulk Hogan!" That dude had the snide asshole game on lock.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

• How could I forget my man Baron Von Raschke who's signature move the Iron Claw was put on me by my brother many times in my youth leaving me with Migraines to this day.

And of Course ... the man.. the myth..the Icon..

Nikita Koloff

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    The Road Warriors were my favorites. I got to meet them a few times when my aunt was dating a manager from a local fed, Eddie "The Brain" Creachman. They gave him a flying clothesline at the match I attended. The Road Warriors pretty much toured the world & wrestled in every indy fed you could imagine. They may have looked like goons, but they were very polite guys. Their manager used to participate in the Iditarod. I think Hawk may have passed away. They had some great matches in Japan. I think have 5-10 tapes of them in various feds.

FF, thanks for posting the Blade Runners clip! That's on some obscure ish!

• 40ozking40ozking 308 Posts
    What you know about World Class Championship Wrestling?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I was truly frightened of Abdullah The Butcher when I was a kid. Back when the old newsprint wrestling magazines used to be filled with pics of bloodied up dudes, he always seemed to be gorier and sicker than anyone.

• 40ozking40ozking 308 Posts
    I was truly frightened of Abdullah The Butcher when I was a kid. Back when the old newsprint wrestling magazines used to be filled with pics of bloodied up dudes, he always seemed to be gorier and sicker than anyone.

Yeah man... It's funny that he was billed as the "madman from sudan" when he's originally from Ontario... He was always pulling out a foreign object and most of his matches ended up as disqualifications or a count out.

Hogan match: