Albums You are Feelin'

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Debut album from Sabrina Malheiros, daughter of Alex Malheiros, bass player from Azymuth. Azymuth and Incognito playing on the tracks. NICE! Perfect new LP for the summer. This will be on all day while I clean up the crib.

Yamashita Tatsuro. This guy recorded some of the best pop LPs ever. I NEVER get tired of listening to his stuff.

Double live LP from 1978, also has a few studio cuts. Features Sakamoto Ryuichi on the live tracks. DOPE.

Sai Yoshiko. "Mangekyou" LP. CRAZY ILL 1975 Japanese psych folk lp with production from Ono Yuji!

Been on blast in the car for like a week. R.I.P. Mac Dre

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

SG

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    doin it big with the modern soul, ehh? that Chuck Cissel is ill and slept on

Yep. Modern Soul 24/7 'round my house.

SG

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    cosign, i just copped that record last week and it has been in constant rotation ever since. that and Hot.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    cosign, i just copped that record last week and it has been in constant rotation ever since. that and Hot.

Hot? The self titled one, the girl group? The LP with that "Guilty" track? The one Swizz Beats sampled for that "They say I'm guilty" joint on his solo LP?

Hot? The self titled one, the girl group? The LP with that "Guilty" track? The one Swizz Beats sampled for that "They say I'm guilty" joint on his solo LP?
    Same group, different album. Now I gotta cop the album you talking bout.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

(yes still...)

• indiana45sindiana45s 266 Posts
    img src="

Cosign the feelin'

• roistoroisto 879 Posts

Vanguard Squad-Revolution In Our Lifetime 45
    just got it in the mail and i likes.

some joints i been fuckin wit recently

That Al Johnson LP is a classic!

SG

SG
    speaking of which...i had a decent copy of said record but my brother had "lost" that record. he had also "lost" my copy of Gloria Scott's "What Am I Gonna Do" LP.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

SG

I think I may have listened to Astral Weeks more times than any LP outside of VU's Loaded. That's one good record.

I like that City Living LP too, but I only have a scrub reissue(that looks exactly like an OG, nice cardboard sleeve, decent press...wish all reishs were done so well).

I like that City Living LP too, but I only have a scrub reissue(that looks exactly like an OG, nice cardboard sleeve, decent press...wish all reishs were done so well).
    I've only seen the white, non cardboard reish of that LP. Anyone know if that one is decent, fidelity-wise, as well?

I'm kinda eager to hear the music on this album, as so many Strut folks seem to dig it.

SG

SG

I think I may have listened to Astral Weeks more times than any LP outside of VU's Loaded. That's one good record.

yeah man, Astral Weeks is one of the best ever.

the Linda Williams is sweet too. the original actually has white cardboard, not brown. it's funny they repressed it that way

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

"Don't Stop The Music" is my new jam! I didn't ever really listen to it til recently but i've been playing that one a lot lately.

I've been loving the breakdown on "Chariots of the Gods" since I picked this one up. The rest of the track is butt in my opinion.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

What the dill on this one??

I've never seen an LP on the ALA label, only some 45's (Jimmy Bee, etc)

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

"angry black spoken word ish"

watts prophets - "rappin' black in a white world". it is a great record and can still be had for relatively cheap, i think.

"angry black spoken word ish"

watts prophets - "rappin' black in a white world". it is a great record and can still be had for relatively cheap, i think.

last clean one I saw was priced at $75

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    These have been in constant rotation in my cubicle all week (courtesy of my Numark portable):

The Hugh Mundell kills me. Dude died waaaaay too young.

These, too:

Dudley "Manzie" Swaby test pressings with a cool little loop in the run-out groove. Heavy, heavy dubs of "Movie Star," "A Love I Can Feel," "Real Rock," etc.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Cosign the feelin'

its amazing how little attention this album recieves considering it was out on a pretty major label (ATCO) and is such a beautiful LP

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Jimmy Bee had an album on Ala, as did Swamp Dogg (released three years after it was recorded).

There were a couple of reissue series on that label as well.

Today I bought Melvin Van Peebles' WHAT THE...YOU MEAN I CAN'T SING?! And I thought AT LAST BILL COSBY REALLY SINGS was weird...I think that's why I like both albums.

• indiana45sindiana45s 266 Posts

Jimmy Bee had an album on Ala, as did Swamp Dogg (released three years after it was recorded).

Today I bought Melvin Van Peebles' WHAT THE...YOU MEAN I CAN'T SING?! And I thought AT LAST BILL COSBY REALLY SINGS was weird...I think that's why I like both albums.

Don't forget these other ALA titles

Iceburg Slim - REflections
    The Mack Soundtrack
    Brothers by Choice (Personal favorite)

Damn, RD, that one was in heavy rotation my senior year of high school/Freshman Year of college(86/87)....the Lyres and the Fleshtones made me realize that being in a band was much easier than I had previously been lead to believe! Nice pick on Double Nickels tto, also a big HS memory!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

The Mack Soundtrack

Ala is probably best-known for their comedy subsidiary, Laff, which gave us Richard Pryor, Skillet & Leroy, Lawanda Page (a/k/a Aunt Esther from SANFORD & SON), Howard Tomashefsky (whose album was called IT'S TOUGH TO BE GIFTED, BLACK & JEWISH), and a mess of other blue-talking clowns.

How Ala got away with releasing THE MACK soundtrack when it was already on Motown, I'll never know.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

How Ala got away with releasing THE MACK soundtrack when it was already on Motown, I'll never know.

I beleive the soundtrack was redone for either a beta or VHS release in '81 or '82.

Alan Silvestri scored it and the Rev. Eugene McD dropped 2 tracks. Party time by McDaniels is the best track IMO. I don't think they needed Motowns permission for this

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

The Mack Soundtrack

Ala is probably best-known for their comedy subsidiary, Laff, which gave us Richard Pryor, Skillet & Leroy, Lawanda Page (a/k/a Aunt Esther from SANFORD & SON), Howard Tomashefsky (whose album was called IT'S TOUGH TO BE GIFTED, BLACK & JEWISH), and a mess of other blue-talking clowns.

A few songs on that ALA Mack OST version (in my opinion) top the OG. Also, don't forget the other Watts Prophets album - "The Black Voices: On the Street in Watts."