Albums You are Feelin'

13»

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

How Ala got away with releasing THE MACK soundtrack when it was already on Motown, I'll never know.

I beleive the soundtrack was redone for either a beta or VHS release in '81 or '82.

Alan Silvestri scored it and the Rev. Eugene McD dropped 2 tracks. Party time by McDaniels is the best track IMO. I don't think they needed Motowns permission for this

Okay, I started to say. I haven't seen the Ala version of THE MACK in a long time, but I distinctly remembered it being from the 80's and wondering why they bothered (almost a decade late!).

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

What the dill on this one??

I've never seen an LP on the ALA label, only some 45's (Jimmy Bee, etc)

"angry black spoken word ish"

watts prophets - "rappin' black in a white world". it is a great record and can still be had for relatively cheap, i think.

last clean one I saw was priced at $75

minty, too

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Got mine for $20 (with shipping) on eBay a few months ago. Have patience, and it will come.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Also, don't forget the other Watts Prophets album - "The Black Voices: On the Street in Watts."

just getting nitpicky, but i'm not sure why this is always referred to as "the other watts prophets album". "watts prophets" appears no where on the lp, it's attributed to "the black voices". and the only commonality is that both lps feature anthony hamilton as one of the poets. that and it's angry black spoken word ish from la on ala.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Also, don't forget the other Watts Prophets album - "The Black Voices: On the Street in Watts."

just getting nitpicky, but i'm not sure why this is always referred to as "the other watts prophets album". "watts prophets" appears no where on the lp, it's attributed to "the black voices". and the only commonality is that both lps feature anthony hamilton as one of the poets. that and it's angry black spoken word ish from la on ala.

I thought that the "Watts Prophets" weren't really a set lineup; that the name was more or less an assemblage point. Either way, it's on ALA. And you gotta love the liner pics for the comedy albums.

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    but I was playing this one last night:

yes! yes! along with one of my all times...

me and the mrs. are tearing up a 12 pack and rocking these while the grill gets hot.

"Ask me why and I'll spit in your eye."

...and grillin'

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Cause I'm a lumberjack (and I found it yesterday):

Cause its still the best Brazilian LP ever (and I minted up yesterday):

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I thought that the "Watts Prophets" weren't really a set lineup; that the name was more or less an assemblage point. Either way, it's on ALA. And you gotta love the liner pics for the comedy albums.

i just reread the prophets interview in brian cross' book and they only vaugely touch upon the issue:

BC: The first album came out in '70, that was before the Watts Prophets?

A: Yeah but the Watts Prophets were in existence. I came down to the studio and I said I have a group, the Watts Prophets. He said we'll cut this one and then we'll cut that one, so we came down to Maverick Flats and we cut it.

when i look it up on amazon, it's now attributed to the prophets, but i think that might be marketing on the part of ala (or whoever did the reissues). because looking at my og there's no mention of it anywhere. the black voices record seems to have been original marketed as more of a poetry compilation than any unified group. plus it's backed by an entirely different band

Black Voices says "Poets courtesy of the Douglass House Foundation", but the Prophets only discuss coming from the Mafundi Coffee House (paging archaic - protogoodlife?)/Watts Writers Workshop.

I've always been curious as to how these guys (and iceberg slim) came to record on what (afaik) was primarily a comedy label.

also did dee dee mcneil ever record anything else of significance? "what is a man?" is

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    anti-mopey pants music

"Hot Times"

...Your photographic mammaries
    are etched upon my memories
    Now that we're the greatest yet
    I'll have that ass wrapped en brochette
    I can't believe how much things change
    When you hear me on the radio
    We make it look easy
    Feeling kinda greasy
    If she's easy-do her nice
    If she's nice-do her sleazy...

"All Right, All Night"

...Mamas in rehab
    daddy's drunk real bad
    I guess we got the place to ourselves
    so fire up the full stack
    donkey and fat sack
    tonight were gonna drink to our health
    another lost weekend
    you know you aint dreamin'
    heaven's just a moustache away...

thank the good lord there is rock like this again.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I've always been curious as to how these guys (and iceberg slim) came to record on what (afaik) was primarily a comedy label.

I think that's why Ala was set up, to separate themselves from the comedy records on Laff (as if the name wasn't enough). It wouldn't look right seeing the ultra-serious Watts Prophets on a label whose logo was a medieval court jester.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I think that's why Ala was set up, to separate themselves from the comedy records on Laff (as if the name wasn't enough). It wouldn't look right seeing the ultra-serious Watts Prophets on a label whose logo was a medieval court jester.

yeah ALA was obviously supposed to be taken much more seriously than the Laff label. However there were some releases that make me think otherwise such as the George Foreman Gospel Sermon LP

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    However there were some releases that make me think otherwise such as the George Foreman Gospel Sermon LP

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

to be continued...

B.

• slavinslavin 577 Posts

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Yuichi, I gotta cosign on the Capsoul comp. The Four Mints and Kool Blues is my shit. Dope label.