LOL***LOL***LOL*** {ebay/gas related}

BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
Just bought 2 records, very cheap, the dude sent me the total and asked me for $18,95 to ship 2 records from CA to Paris. So I sent him a friendly message and asked him if $18,95 will be the price I'll read on the stamp, on the package. He did not replied, just sent me a second invoice and now he's asking for $21,95.So I replied and told him that I buy records (from sellers in CA, where he lives) very often and nobody is asking more than $16 to ship 2 records.Now he's asking me to pay his gas, check it :
> What a lot of the people forget about is the cost of the packing> material, which we used all new materials, the time it takes to> package the produce and the time and gas it takes to go to the post> office plus the time it takes standing in the post office line> plus the postage which has just increased we feel we are very fair> in our pricing considering we keep our records at a good price.> also some countries cost more then others and we try to take the> average.> Thanks ******rader
Isn't it hilarious?I like his frankness though.

Comments

• Yes, it sounds like you're being overcharged by $2. The Soulstrut community will not stand for this, I tell you.

• I've always found that when buyin online, you just pay whats quoted... if your feeling a $2 difference in the pocket is hurting i'd stay off the net. I believe everyone should pay a handling fee if asked by the seller. I spend on average 20 hours a week packing boxes, sending emails, driving to the post office.. which does add up in gas fee's... and might i add we're the highest nationwide paying average 3.50 a gallon, ridiculous... can't justify, but can't complain either.

• bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
    I've always found that when buyin online, you just pay whats quoted... if your feeling a $2 difference in the pocket is hurting i'd stay off the net. I believe everyone should pay a handling fee if asked by the seller. I spend on average 20 hours a week packing boxes, sending emails, driving to the post office.. which does add up in gas fee's... and might i add we're the highest nationwide paying average 3.50 a gallon, ridiculous... can't justify, but can't complain either.

Agreed...

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I've always found that when buyin online, you just pay whats quoted... if your feeling a $2 difference in the pocket is hurting i'd stay off the net. I believe everyone should pay a handling fee if asked by the seller. I spend on average 20 hours a week packing boxes, sending emails, driving to the post office.. which does add up in gas fee's... and might i add we're the highest nationwide paying average 3.50 a gallon, ridiculous... can't justify, but can't complain either.

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    I've always found that when buyin online, you just pay whats quoted...

That's fair enough if the seller puts this as part of his shipping charges on the ebay listing, however if they do not list shipping charges it's fair to expect to pay the regular postal costs.Otherwise adding extra $$$ for shoe leather, waiting on line etc is just taking the p*ss.

paying average 3.50 a gallon

You should try buying petrol/gas in the UK it costs approximately $2 a litre !!!

I would rather pay a handling fee and have my record cleaned, arrive in a mailer with two inserts, a clean poly bag, and the vinyl in a separate inner sleeve. I suppose on the other hand, you could just pay the bare postage and not complain when you get your shit split on four sides and corners bent up in a dusty pizza box.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Kindingustive and obscure_addict :

21,95 - 16 = 5,95 (not 2)

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

The problem here is not the price though.
    The dude did not write that the seller will have to pay his gas fee, I have never heard of this before.
    When I sell records I don't ask to the buyer to pay for the time I spend on the net, the time I spend packing the items, to pay me cause I use my bike, the time I spend at the post office, to pay my internet bills, to pay the time I waste not making Music...
    This is just hilarious.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Kindingustive and obscure_addict :

21,95 - 16 = 5,95 (not 2)

Bapt,

Shipping went up quite a bit lately. When I went to ship your package it was like $8 bucks over what you paid for shipping but I sent it anyways. It costs nearly $20 bucks to send 2-3 records to France and most of the EU now. Dude isn't ripping you off so don't be mad. I wish it was only $16 bucks to send it, thats what it use to be, but truth be told as mentioned above, shipping and handling Plus Gas......Adds up real quick.

BTW, you owe me $8 dollars

Just kidding, just take it as a trade off for having to pay this dude more to get your records and keep in mind the changes that have been made. 3 lbs 7 oz to the U.K. costs $ 28 bucks...and thats only like 5-6 records.
    I imagine we will lose a fair amount of International buyers because of this and there have been more U.S. buyers the past couple weeks.

Did you get them yet? Should be anyday if not. Don't be mad.

Peace, Alice

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Aahh! Once again I'm not mad.

I'm sending you $8 with Paypal right now.

In France we say :

Les bons comptes font les bons amis

Which can be translate by :

Short reckonings make long friends

Bapt, Its cool, you have been a friend since my first days on SS.

I'm just saying prices went up way more than I personally expected, and while Im sure there are some sellers that would send it to you wrapped in newspaper to save on shipping, I want to insure that things arrive in the same condition I sent them in and that requires extra care, time and effort.

And we have saying here in the U.S. and that is "Time is money"

Plus, ink, tape, boxes, labels, gas, sleeves....it is the cost of having a business but paying handling fees is the cost of being a buyer too. For the most part I think it equals itself out.

Respect, Alice

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

You're friend just sent $8 to your Paypal.

Alice I understand, selling has a cost (and buying too...LOL)

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    You guys are forgetting about the worldwide conspiracy to over-charge and otherwise cheat Bapt just because he's French. This goes deep.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    You guys are forgetting about the worldwide conspiracy to the over-charge and otherwise cheat French. This goes deep.

Crink,

I dont know what your avatar is but every time I see it it makes me think of these guys for some reason :

Crink,

I dont know what your avatar is

It is a tattoo of a dolphin sitting in a torn recliner, smoking a resin ball out of a bong and eating a butterfinger. There is smoke coming from his blow-hole and he has a tribal tattoo on one fin.

Crink,

I dont know what your avatar is

That would be a dolphin with a tribal tattoo smoking a bong
    in a torn-up la-Z-boy recliner while eating a Butterfinger.

It is all GRIPP related.

edit: oops, I guess I should stop answering for other
    people ... I love how our posts are almost identical, tho

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Crink shut your mouth because all that goes out of it is only shit.
    Please, for the community.

In other words : FUCK YOU!

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Ya'll have it easy. Us Canadians usually take a small loss on shipping just to compete with the US shipping rates. Thought, I think with the new US rates, we are a little more equal.

Crink shut your mouth because all that goes out of it is only shit.
    Please, for the community.

In other words : FUCK YOU!

Dude, this is like the 18th post you've made about how someone (usually an American eBay seller) is trying screw you on shipping. It's always agreed that you are spazzing out over $2-5. Guess what, this is how buying things online goes. It happens to me, it happens to everyone. Most eBay dealers are not profiting on shipping. Once French dude paypals me $13 to have his ONE SINGLE lp mailed, paypal has taken almost $2... plus, yes it does cost real money to buy mailers, tape, gas to the PO, etc. Please just stop.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    I spend on average 20 hours a week packing boxes, sending emails, driving to the post office.. which does add up in gas fee's

Did that too at one point but then I changed my MO.

If you want the rainbow you got to put up with the rain.

If you want the rainbow you got to put up with the rain.

I like that.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

I don't want to talk to you, I just want to make with your head.
    In the real life you wouldn't talk to me like this.
    Are you a judge or something?

You come here and read what you want to read, I ain't complaining, (Alice I ain't mad) I'm just sharing a funny message with the strutters.

For some reason the same package (Airmail international) from the same state (in the US) to the same address (in France) goes for a different price, I'm still trying to understand it.

Anyway, this is too much of my time for you, b*st*rd (Crink).
    Step your game up, come in Paris, we'll talk together, oh no, wait, you prefer attacking people on the net, it is safer, I see.

Pasue?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Pasue?

WHAT GOES ON IN THE PLEASUREDOME STAYS IN THE PLEASUREDOME

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts

Step your game up, come in Paris, we'll talk together, oh no, wait, you prefer attacking people on the net, it is safer, I see.

am i the only one that thinks a fight between crink and a french dude would be fucking amazing

in this corner 'the momma's boy' jeff...

and in this corner bapt and his posse

paypal has taken almost $2... plus, yes it does cost real money to buy mailers, tape, gas to the PO, etc. Please just stop.

Then surely it would make more sense to start your opening bids at a price that takes into account all of your expenses,rather than try to add them to shipping as a hidden cost.

in all seriousness, when I ship sometimes the tag is a couple bucks lower than I expected, sometimes its a couple bucks more. I do not make money on shipping if anything I lose or at best break even (especially if you're counting paypal fees). I have been given a hard time before by some who seem to think I am caking out because the shipping tag was 2 or 3 bucks less than what they paid.

Anyone getting heated over a couple bucks on shipping must be a real tightwad.

Bapt, aside from your unending beef with Crink,
    you really need to face the reality of shipping
    costs today. A 2.5lb package from Cali to France
    now costs $20 - I just calculated it on the USPS
    website. The fact is, if the guy was "overcharging"
    you (ie charging above the straight cost of postage
    AT ALL) it was probably by less than $1.

His e-mail response that was supposed to be "funny"
    seemed completely rational to me, and, in fact, quite
    patient condsidering somebody was complaining about
    a postage difference of nickels and dimes. Plus, everything
    he said in his e-mail is true.

Like Jeff said, this is not the first post you have made about
    something like this - I am really curious - do you think you
    should only ever be charged EXACTLY what the cost on the stamp
    is? Do you not think quality shipping materials and service
    are a shared responsibilty of seller & buyer AT ALL?