ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST- House o Records Closes

mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
damn, right after her big cameo in 'knocked up'

Comments

• I'm surprised that place has been around for so long. I've almost never found anything good there. Ever. Then again, I think I first visited that place in like '98. Maybe some older heads have some stories of heat they've pulled. Hell, someone must've...

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    ugh, i just confused this store with the record surplus.
    yeah, i went into this spot once and never needed to go back.
    its been a long weekend. sorry

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    house of records ?

is that the place down the street on pico from record surplus ? i thought that place went out of business like three years ago.

i think the best thing i found there was watts 103rd st band - express yourself and roy ayers - vibrations. that was 97.

does anyone else remember that place half way between record surplus and westwood on pico blvd? can't remember the name but it had this big sign "RECORDS" about 40 feet tall.

i went there and got a copy of enter the dragon soundtrack and was going to go back and it was closed up next time i went there. think this was 96. they still have taht big sign that says records and everytime i go by it i get excited briefly. then i see the carpet store that took it's place and get dissapointed.

EVERY SINGLE TIME I GO BY THERE.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    I found les De Merle there and thats it. I cant compute how many times I went there for a little dessert after Surplus only to be dissapointed. RIP, I guess.

• Christ, what the fuck kind of flyer is that for a going out of business sale? Very borderline. Makes me uncomfortable.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Christ, what the fuck kind of flyer is that for a going out of business sale? Very borderline. Makes me uncomfortable.

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
    I lived in LA from 2002 - 2004 and went to House Of Records maybe a dozen times and I always found it shite. I think I never bought a thing in there,
    I never understood how long they lasted, but they always seemed to have customers in there...
    ... browsing anyway. Buying, hmmm, ... no!

does anyone else remember that place half way between record surplus and westwood on pico blvd? can't remember the name but it had this big sign "RECORDS" about 40 feet tall.

i went there and got a copy of enter the dragon soundtrack and was going to go back and it was closed up next time i went there. think this was 96. they still have taht big sign that says records and everytime i go by it i get excited briefly. then i see the carpet store that took it's place and get dissapointed.

EVERY SINGLE TIME I GO BY THERE.

I want to know as well how that was as it had already closed down when I got to LA in 2002. However, the HUGE shadow of the old "RECORDS" sign was still visible on the wall of the carpet shop for ages (I think they finally repainted the wall. But everytime I passed by I felt like I probably missed out on a great place.
    What was it?

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Best thing I got out of there was a Terminal Barbershop in the Soundtrack section (?)

Record Surplus seems to be nabbing all the trade....always looks healthy in there.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Nah its always been open but the hours were sort of weird. only two guy run the place and the owner is out to lunch (hence he's closing). I found some nice disco and hip-hop in there, but the problem was the price on ther ecords was never the price they sold it for. everyt time i would find stuff and take it up to the counter they pulled that... oh thats not the right price its $5 more... etc. After three trips of that and wasting hours in there going through stuff I gave up and never went back.