Kanye’tda Pushed Back

2»

Comments

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    he needs to drop that "ridin" track with paul wall, NOW!

uhhhhhh, sittin sidewayzzzz

• well it really doesn't matter if they are actually rare or not as long as they are percieved as such they will hold or increase in value. Simple as that. Now if for some reason the whole diamond market goes bust and bazzillions of 'em flood the market, then yeah. But that's pretty much how everything is.

about to happen, russia and a whole bunch of other non-debeers cartel owned diamond mining and production facilities are ramping production way up on some new discoveries. the prices will be dropping dramatically over the next decade or two when everyone realizes these stupid fucking rocks have little to no value. diamnonds are about the worst possible "investment" anyone could be making.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    well it really doesn't matter if they are actually rare or not as long as they are percieved as such they will hold or increase in value. Simple as that. Now if for some reason the whole diamond market goes bust and bazzillions of 'em flood the market, then yeah. But that's pretty much how everything is.

about to happen, russia and a whole bunch of other non-debeers cartel owned diamond mining and production facilities are ramping production way up on some new discoveries. the prices will be dropping dramatically over the next decade or two when everyone realizes these stupid fucking rocks have little to no value. diamnonds are about the worst possible "investment" anyone could be making.

Thank you.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    hommes is sweatin his self a little too much.

hommes is sweatin his self a little too much.

Co-sign.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    how about gold, silver or platinum? are those also bad investments?

how about gold, silver or platinum? are those also bad investments?
    Only if its rare. Or you paid large amounts for it. Not the Jacob the jeweler stuff either. Do you indulge in these objects?

Its like art objects. Only the top of the pyramid really gains value. Like a rare Delorean car.

• yes, although not nearly as bad. for one, unlike diamonds which are made from an incredibly abundant element, there is a far more finite supply of those elements, so they actually are somewhat rare.

gold production has been growing steadily in mongolia and parts of china, but the various industrial uses and overall global currency malaise has made gold a relatively safe and stable investment. silver, less so mostly because of platinum has and will be pretty stable jsut because it is so damn rare. its gotten a good shot in the arm over the past decade because it is so fashionable, but probably wont drop much in price.

the bigger problem with gold, silver, and platinum is the environmental and human toll in getting that shit out of the ground. the chemicals (mainly mercury) used to separate gold out when panning in mongolia are causing terrible cancers and other problems because the shit is so toxic, but these people are destitute and just looking for some quick cash to feed and educate the fam, so they sort of have to take the risk. mercury and other chemicals from mining and refining ores contaminates downstream water ways, and all kinds of bad shit. all bling is pretty much tainted with the blood.

no I don't have jewlery execept my wedding ring. But I do know that gold is a very stable investement. It's traded in the market and has shown throughout history to do well. Of course you will me paying more than just the ounce value b/c you are paying an artisan to make it into jewlery for you. The gold, plat, silver will still increase in value based on it's weight. Therefore as long as a Jacob the Jewler piece is actually gold like it says it is it will never lose the value of the gold used to make it, whether or not you like his artestry is really a seperate thing. And of course you will be paying for that along w/ the gold. So it's really not like art (since the oil/canvas/clay etc. used has no intrinsic value), gold by weight will hold or increase value unless the whole economy goes to shit, in which case the only things w/ value will be those needed to survive, like clean water and food.

no I don't have jewlery execept my wedding ring. But I do know that gold is a very stable investement. It's traded in the market and has shown throughout history to do well. Of course you will me paying more than just the ounce value b/c you are paying an artisan to make it into jewlery for you. The gold, plat, silver will still increase in value based on it's weight. Therefore as long as a Jacob the Jewler piece is actually gold like it says it is it will never lose the value of the gold used to make it, whether or not you like his artestry is really a seperate thing. And of course you will be paying for that along w/ the gold. So it's really not like art (since the oil/canvas/clay etc. used has no intrinsic value), gold by weight will hold or increase value unless the whole economy goes to shit, in which case the only things w/ value will be those needed to survive, like clean water and food.

If you had 1 milllion dollars would you buy gold or a Picasso/Warhol/Basquiat?

• actually gold tends to be countercyclical to the rest of the market. it is typically considered a hedge, and really compared to say investing the same money in a market index funds, has gotten pretty shitty returns. most of the stability in the gold market over recent years can be attributed to unease in the rest of the market combined with low returns on other typical hedge investments (bonds) and growth in industrial applications (namely electronics like LEDs).

actually gold tends to be countercyclical to the rest of the market. it is typically considered a hedge, and really compared to say investing the same money in a market index funds, has gotten pretty shitty returns. most of the stability in the gold market over recent years can be attributed to unease in the rest of the market combined with low returns on other typical hedge investments (bonds) and growth in industrial applications (namely electronics like LEDs).
    Damn your breakin it down. Traditional trains of thought are hard to break loose from.

If you had 1 milllion dollars would you buy gold or a Picasso/Warhol/Basquiat?
    neither

• If you had 1 milllion dollars would you buy gold or a Picasso/Warhol/Basquiat?
    neither

i'd buy 1 million copies of endless flight ....

• catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts
    Dude, the beat he used for Diamonds sounded like something off of a Thievery Corp album...

drums by michel gondry! for serious!

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Arctic diamonds are creeping on a come-up and only 3-4% of diamonds are actually "Conflict diamonds" though most African diamonds are shady in that they are taking African men fron their wives, encouraging AIDS, profitting from the sweat of the African people with all the money going to DeBeers etc.

A good book to read is Diamond : A Journey to the Heart of an Obsession
    by Matthew Hart

that said, I am sporting a shiny new rock on my left hand. I have reason to believe it came from a good place, but you can never really be sure.

still, I don't know why one of Jacob the Jeweler's top clients is on an anti-diamond kick

that said, I am sporting a shiny new rock on my left hand.
    congrats!