Kanye’tda Pushed Back

gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
edited June 2005 in Music Talk
The powers that be at Roc-A-Fella/Def Jam have pushed Kanye West's sophomore album, Late Registration back to August 16. The album was initially expected to release on July 12. West's music video for his first single, "Diamonds From Sierra Leone," directed by Hype Williams, premieres Wednesday (June 15) on BET and Monday (June 20) on MTV's "TRL." Shot in Prague, the video depicts the civil war and destruction caused by diamond trading in Sierra Leone. A remix of the song, featuring Jay-Z, is currently in heavy rotation.

Comments

• another hit

• The powers that be at Roc-A-Fella/Def Jam have pushed Kanye West's sophomore album, Late Registration back to August 16. The album was initially expected to release on July 12. West's music video for his first single, "Diamonds From Sierra Leone," directed by Hype Williams, premieres Wednesday (June 15) on BET and Monday (June 20) on MTV's "TRL." Shot in Prague, the video depicts the civil war and destruction caused by diamond trading in Sierra Leone. A remix of the song, featuring Jay-Z, is currently in heavy rotation.

does he still rock his jesus piece and all that shit?

and what's up with this?

Shot in Prague, the video depicts the civil war and destruction caused by diamond trading in Sierra Leone.

um? i can think of a million places that look more like Sierra Leone than Prague. Sierra Leone for one, the rest of the african continent for #2. wtf? at least the premier isnt on the 19th, i could see kanye trying to co-opt juneteenth with this bullshit "message" poser garbage.

• catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts
    prague isn't supposed to look like sierra leone, it's prague - the vid is like a takeoff on all those debeers commercials, they'll do a "will you marry me" scene with these two europeans, then the girl's hand will start bleeding and kids from africa start to appear in the mirror and whatnot.

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts
    Dude just killed in on 106 and Park with a nice balance of diamond discourse and showing off tasteful diamonds. He did his verse from the remix acapella and shushed the crowd when they started cheering before he finished. He also looked very well put together in a blue sweater and button down, though quite warm for mid-June.

• someone school me on why Kanye is the spokesperson against the evils of the diamond trade

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    Yeah, as far as I know Sierra Leone is not the only country where diamond miners are being exploited. There was a real good article in National Geographic about 2 years ago that would really make you not ever want to buy diamonds.

• that actually sounds kinda cool. i hope dude means some of it, or at least opens some eyes.

• someone school me on why Kanye is the spokesperson against the evils of the diamond trade

Diamonds suck...

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Anybody know roughly how long the "conflict" in "conflict diamonds" has been goin' on? The engagement ring I bought is an antique, so I'm wondering if a diamond from circa 1960 would be Kanye-approved.

• In the 1870s and 1880s Kimberley, encompassing the mines that produced 95% of the world's diamonds, was home to great wealth and fierce rivalries, most notably that between Rhodes and Barnato, English immigrants who consolidated early 31-foot-square prospects into ever larger holdings and mining companies. In 1888, Rhodes prevailed and merged the holdings of both men into De Beers Consolidated Mines Ltd., a company that is still synonymous with diamonds.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Actually, I think that this is more what I was thinking:

"The "blood diamonds" of Sierra Leone have funded rebel leader Foday Sankoh's Revolutionary United Front since 1991[/b], enabling his men to wage a guerilla war which still rages against the elected government of Tejan Kabbah and also against civilians in the north-east of the country."

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    1). word, I was feeling dudes outfit

2). Dude said he signed SA-RA. Even though I'm a big sceptic of SA-RA's music I'm still interested to see what they are going to put out on a major label.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    prague isn't supposed to look like sierra leone, it's prague - the vid is like a takeoff on all those debeers commercials, they'll do a "will you marry me" scene with these two europeans, then the girl's hand will start bleeding and kids from africa start to appear in the mirror and whatnot.

I guess it's supposed to stand in for Antwerp? Why not shoot it in the trading center of the diamond trade - i.e. Belgium (and maybe a side swipe @ good ole King Leopold and his decimation of, oh, close to 10 million in the Congo prior to the turn of the 20th century)? Anyway...

• ya, that part of the diamoonds' history is a decade plus, but it is part of a bigger picture of subjugation and oppression, hell sierra leone and the civil war there is pretty insignifigant in the scope of the whole diamond trade. diamonds have been funding guns and war in africa for ove a hundred years.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    another hit
    Im sorry but the video is pretty and all, but the song is mediocre. Dont tell me its a fuckin classic. That's not heat. Not oncesoever. So what, its conceptual, whoopdeedamndoo. Just like Common's first lead off single---UNeventful. Some cats are so easily Bamboozled. Fuck diamonds, there not worth shit anyway. Theyre like cars, they depreciate in value once purchased.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    I am extremely excited for this album.

And, I'm quite impressed with Kanye's willingness and eagerness to take chances... and, as the Fader blog mentions, not of the Kanye 3000 variety. Most dudes would just be like "OK, this worked last time, so let me get some more bank," but Kanye seems genuinely interested in fucking with some next level music and isn't trying to be on same catering shit but is trying to be on some "walk with me" shit. I fucks with that mentality like a mug.

Dude is clearly a music lover.

Anybody peep the Just Blaze interview in the Source?

It's so simple and stupid and shit, but it suddenly struck me why these guys make such good music: because they fucking love music.

-e

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

And, I'm quite impressed with Kanye's willingness and eagerness to take chances... and, as the Fader blog mentions, not of the Kanye 3000 variety. Most dudes would just be like "OK, this worked last time, so let me get some more bank," but Kanye seems genuinely interested in fucking with some next level music and isn't trying to be on same catering shit but is trying to be on some "walk with me" shit. I fucks with that mentality like a mug.

It's so simple and stupid and shit, but it suddenly struck me why these guys make such good music: because they fucking love music.

-e
    you actually read the Source? I hope you didn't spend your cash on that. I have an issue of the source that sits in my bathroom and it's there just in case I run out of toilet paper. Yeah e, I'm ready for Late Registration to drop. Him and Blaze is in it not strictly on some money shit, which is why a lot of music is shitty enough to make you want to smash your face with a hammer. Just saying...

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

-e

*ahem*

Dude, the beat he used for Diamonds sounded like something off of a Thievery Corp album..ohh... and "Fix your skirt, poptart".

And, I'm quite impressed with Kanye's willingness and eagerness to take chances... and, as the Fader blog mentions, not of the Kanye 3000 variety. Most dudes would just be like "OK, this worked last time, so let me get some more bank," but Kanye seems genuinely interested in fucking with some next level music and isn't trying to be on same catering shit but is trying to be on some "walk with me" shit.

Ther are alot of Artists taking chances in the game. This doesn't make him unique.
    Im just sayin' that this single is not that good and I know the public is going to suck on this shit 'cause its new.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts

Ther are alot of Artists taking chances in the game. This doesn't make him unique.
    Im just sayin' that this single is not that good and I know the public is going to suck on this shit 'cause its new.

Yeah, fine, but not a lot of artists in the position of power/success that he is in are taking chances the way he is, and I respect that. Just little subtle shit-- like "Diamonds" as the first single? The fuck? That's not a radio or a club song (and I don't think it's an amazing song either... the remix is way better). I just think the whole "taking chances while in a position of power" shit is dope and I think it's part of the reason I think Jay-Z was always ahead of the pack. He wasn't satisfied with just fitting the mold of what a "hot" song was... he basically dictated what "hot" could and would be. He made and re-made the mold pretty steadily. That's impressive. I think Kanye is the dude that'll most likely be doing that kind've mold-making over the next few years, and I ain't mad at that.

And, yes, I read the Source... at lunch time over at Border's.

-e

Him and Blaze is in it not strictly on some money shit, which is why a lot of music is shitty enough to make you want to smash your face with a hammer. Just saying...

"not strictly on some money shit"
    You really dont believe that shit, do you. C.R.E.A.M. All these Artists put the cash first, no matter how they like to present themselves as "being real".
    Dont get this "BUSINESS" twisted. They are not some 16 year old neighborhood mixtape rookies, believe that. Dont confuse the image with the reality.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Him and Blaze is in it not strictly on some money shit, which is why a lot of music is shitty enough to make you want to smash your face with a hammer. Just saying...

"not strictly on some money shit"
    You really dont believe that shit, do you. C.R.E.A.M. All these Artists put the cash first, no matter how they like to present themselves as "being real".
    Dont get this "BUSINESS" twisted. They are not some 16 year old neighborhood mixtape rookies, believe that. Dont confuse the image with the reality.
    Batmon, read my post carefully. I said they're not strictly on some money shit. In other words, they about gettin' they paper. I understand that. IMO they have more genuine appreciation for music than a lot of their counterparts. I couldn't agree with you more, Batmon.

Theyre like cars, they depreciate in value once purchased.
    are you sure this is a true statement? most precious metals and stones increase in value are diamonds the exception? Plus there will be "antique/collector" value in later years. Does the remix use the same beat? I like the beat, haven't heard the remix.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Just little subtle shit-- like "Diamonds" as the first single? The fuck? That's not a radio or a club song

I beg to differ... I can attest from personal experience this is the kind of song girls who don't really pay attention to rap will just start singing out of nowhere... I don't think its an odd choice at all (especially considering everyone's already familiar with the song the hook is lifted from)

I find the political slant of it interesting but MAD suspect considering where its coming from... but I really don't care enough to figure out whats going on there

Theyre like cars, they depreciate in value once purchased.
    are you sure this is a true statement? most precious metals and stones increase in value are diamonds the exception? Plus there will be "antique/collector" value in later years. Does the remix use the same beat? I like the beat, haven't heard the remix.

Diamonds arent rare gems. The industries want the public to believe they are. Unless its some super rare blue diamond, these gems only really hold sentamental value.

well it really doesn't matter if they are actually rare or not as long as they are percieved as such they will hold or increase in value. Simple as that. Now if for some reason the whole diamond market goes bust and bazzillions of 'em flood the market, then yeah. But that's pretty much how everything is.

well it really doesn't matter if they are actually rare or not as long as they are percieved as such they will hold or increase in value. Simple as that. Now if for some reason the whole diamond market goes bust and bazzillions of 'em flood the market, then yeah. But that's pretty much how everything is.

Try selling your mother's/wife's diamond ring back to a jeweler and see if she gets the same price she paid for.
    It's a circus act. Kinda like Mercades being regular taxi cabs in Europe, but a "luxury" item in America.

Try selling your RAER back to a RECORD STORE and see if YOU gets the same price YOU paid for.
    Sure, the jeweler is in business to make a profit, if he just gives you your money back how is he doing that? Most will allow you to trade up (with full value on the one you are bringing in) and you should be able to sell it through consinement or something for what you paid for it, it's not like its is worn or used. I've just never heard anyone saying jewlery didn't hold it's value, even diamonds.

Try selling your RAER back to a RECORD STORE and see if YOU gets the same price YOU paid for.
    Sure, the jeweler is in business to make a profit, if he just gives you your money back how is he doing that? Most will allow you to trade up (with full value on the one you are bringing in) and you should be able to sell it through consinement or something for what you paid for it, it's not like its is worn or used. I've just never heard anyone saying jewlery didn't hold it's value, even diamonds.

Well now you know.

• another hit
    Im sorry but the video is pretty and all, but the song is mediocre. Dont tell me its a fuckin classic. That's not heat. Not oncesoever. So what, its conceptual, whoopdeedamndoo. Just like Common's first lead off single---UNeventful. Some cats are so easily Bamboozled. Fuck diamonds, there not worth shit anyway. Theyre like cars, they depreciate in value once purchased.

simmer down..all I said is "another hit."