Are You Rooting For Barry Bonds

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Since when does rooting for or against a sports figure require a rationale?

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

Side note: Hammerin' Hank has already stated that he won't be attending any of the surrounding festivities.

did he outright say that he wasn't behind bonds? i remember hearing he wouldn't attend awhile ago but he said it was because he hated flying

• GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts
    For the record, I dig Bonds' scene. I think it's funny that he's an asshole w/ his leather recliner in the locker room and shit. Dude was a five-tool beast way before the 90s. He just used to be more of a 25-HR guy and then, WOW. Yes, he does many many things at the plate that are super skill related and not HGH related. I just don't think he's puttin up the monster HR numbers w/out the flax seed oil or whatever and that's what this thread is about: the HR record.

It wouldn't matter who it was. I hate to see Aaron's record broken by dudes who shot junk in their butts to play better. Couldn't they have just taken bennies like the old-school baseball dudes????

What's it gonna be like in 12 or so years when everyone's fave dude A-Rod is about to break Bones' record?

Ken Griffey Jr. = this record was supposed to have been YOURS!!!!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    ugg, I HATE Barry Bonds. what a huge piece of shit

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    ugg, I HATE Barry Bonds. what a huge piece of shit

thank you for your meaningful contribution to the discourse.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    HELL NO.

I was at Petco Park a few years back, and the Giants were in town.
    One fan put up a sign that read "ESPN- Early Slugger Played Natural".
    I would be mad too if I were Hank Aron.

This is it right here. They should have two lists for most career HRs, one for players on 'roids (or under high suspicion) and another one. Either that, or put a fatty asterisk next to their names.

Aaron shouldn't be behind a cheater on the list. Neither should Maris and them other dudes.

I don't need my sports heros to be cool dudes.

Says the guy who implies that Chuck Lidell is a white supremacist.

gotcha bitch!

HELL NO.

This is it right here. They should have two lists for most career HRs, one for players on 'roids (or under high suspicion) and another one. Either that, or put a fatty asterisk next to their names.

Aaron shouldn't be behind a cheater on the list. Neither should Maris and them other dudes.

hey Petco (do you mind if I call you that?), you need to kill the noise.

honestly how do you propose they set your little system up? who gets to decide if there is "suspicion" as to a player's steroid use? you? and when do we start implementing this? pre-90's when no one gave a fuck? or is this little system strictly for Bonds and the post-Bonds era?

and BTW "ESPN- Early Slugger Played Natural" is not the least bit clever as game cardboard signs go. whoever made that needs to step his game up. what does the fact that earlier ball players didn't use steroids have to do with ESPN? just saying.

I don't need my sports heros to be cool dudes.

Says the guy who implies that Chuck Lidell is a white supremacist.

gotcha bitch!

and no my friend, YOU GOT GOT. the WP thing is a diversion. your fanboy fantasies were squashed in the ring by Rampage. the after-arguments are just window dressing.

honestly how do you propose they set your little system up? who gets to decide if there is "suspicion" as to a player's steroid use? you? and when do we start implementing this? pre-90's when no one gave a fuck? or is this little system strictly for Bonds and the post-Bonds era?

Yep, this is the problem. You can't. so the whole game is fucked and it's kind of a drag if you ever were a fan and appreciative of the historical and statistical aspects of baseball. Bonds is just another cog. The stigma is gonna keep some statistically-deserving players out of the HOF I bet.

We're talking HANK AARON'S HOMERUN RECORD here. It's a monster as far as sports records go. It's disappointing in general that there will be about 1/10th the fanfare surrounding the new HomeRunKing that you would expect.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    What sport is this?

What sport is this?

Dude. They do play other sports in the two months that we are sans NBA. Get familiar. Variety is the spice o' life.

• spaceghostspaceghost 605 Posts
    if the scores count, the pitchers era counts, the trophies count then how can you decide that home runs don't count. the league wanted more home runs, they got more home runs. now they are wondering if the home runs should count? hank aaron is a victim of the league not barry bonds. i don't really care if he breaks the record or not. but for the most part i've lost interest in baseball except for the playoffs and series. i also prefer a contact hitter who plays great defense to a home run hitter.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    What sport is this?

Bodybuilding

HELL NO.

hey Petco (do you mind if I call you that?), you need to kill the noise.

and BTW "ESPN- Early Slugger Played Natural" is not the least bit clever as game cardboard signs go. whoever made that needs to step his game up. what does the fact that earlier ball players didn't use steroids have to do with ESPN? just saying.

I'm joking about creating two lists...you have your opinions set in stone, it's all good.

i also prefer a contact hitter who plays great defense to a home run hitter.

This sounds vaguely familiar to a running theme in another sport...hmmm....

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    What sport is this?

Bodybuilding

Specifically, at the All Drug Olympics

What sport is this?

Bodybuilding

Haha! I didn't watch that clip but I know what it is. Classic.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    Yes, but mostly because he's black and it'll piss off a lot of white folks. The other parts are because he doesn't play the game with the media and they still sweat him. Plus he went to my high school. :5pager:

• man, baseball is a cloudy sport to begin with...spit balls...vaseline balls...razor blade balls...corked bats...mega pine tar...and plenty of little green pills before
    the whole roids saga. how bout the '86 mets? wasn't a good portion of that team
    playing the white lines?! the black sox? roids or hgh or flaxseed or whatever is just another bend in mlb's illustrious history, no? if balco never blew up and made
    this thing a legal case, mlb'd be riding barry's jock to the record.

Man someone should write an insider book on the 86 Mets. Anyone ever heard some of the insane tales from the Rome Show about that squad. craziness and debauchery.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    What sport is this?

Bodybuilding

That's gonna hurt tomorrow morning!

I'm not rooting for Bonds to break the record because A) He's on the goddamn Giants B) I can't stand the way he plays, no hustle whatsoever in the outfield C) He would have remained a much better player had he never bulked up D) I just plain don't like how the guy carries himself. His steroid use is irrelevant to me in this era - there are so many guys juicing or who have that it's pointless to get mad at Barry just for that. Unless baseball actually cracks down (which they haven't) then trying to target the stars is weak, and targeting Barry would be a particularly bad move bordering on racism. It'd certainly be percieved as such by many, and there are fewer and fewer Black baseball players these days.

All that said, I really have no issue with him breaking the record, becuase if you ask any great baseball player, that's not what the game is about. in baseball when it comes to knowing which players were truly great, who was a stand up individual and played the game with class.

What sport is this?

Bodybuilding

That's gonna hurt tomorrow morning!

I'm not rooting for Bonds to break the record because A) He's on the goddamn Giants B) I can't stand the way he plays, no hustle whatsoever in the outfield C) He would have remained a much better player had he never bulked up D) I just plain don't like how the guy carries himself. His steroid use is irrelevant to me in this era - there are so many guys juicing or who have that it's pointless to get mad at Barry just for that. Unless baseball actually cracks down (which they haven't) then trying to target the stars is weak, and targeting Barry would be a particularly bad move bordering on racism. It'd certainly be percieved as such by many, and there are fewer and fewer Black baseball players these days.

All that said, I really have no issue with him breaking the record, becuase if you ask any great baseball player, that's not what the game is about. in baseball when it comes to knowing which players were truly great, who was a stand up individual and played the game with class.

racist

stand up individual and played the game with class.

read: "articulate and clean-cut."

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    HELL YES!!!!

fuck all you hatters! Money is the best we'll ever see. Never been found guilty of breaking a rule in baseball.

this whole witchhunt is like trying to prove I was speeding on Aug 18, 1998.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Why do people care if Aaron will be there?

All that matters is if Hammer will be there!!

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

You're just bitter that I hatted on the Giants.

Oh yeah, by the way, whose winning the cross-bay series this year?

winning the cross-bay series

dubious distinction either way I'm afraid.

HE SPEAKS SO WELL

Money is the best we'll ever see. Never been found guilty of breaking a rule in baseball.

yoIgotBeats DROPPING THAT KNOWLEDGE! Thanks Money!