Post your top 10 favorite Guitar Players

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    johnny and santos

Santo & Johnny. Nice to see someone repping for the sweet soundz of steel.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    There's:
    Charlie Christian
    Robert Johnson
    Grant Green
    Jimi Hendrix
    Leo Nocentelli
    Tony Iommi
    Robert Fripp
    Eddie Van Halen

Then there's:
    Tim Kerr
    Ron Emery
    Vernon Reid
    Slash
    Dave Navarro
    Kim Thayil
    James Iha
    Paul Leary
    Gary Lee Conner
    J. Mascis
    Lee Renaldo/Thurston Moore
    Kurdt Cobain

And then there's:
    Gary CLark, Jr.

• hi, my list is here:

Jimmy Hendrix
    King Sunny Ade
    Grant Green
    Dennis Coffey
    Leo Nocentelli
    Bo Diddley
    Ron Asheton
    Duane Allman
    Gabor Szabo
    Lanny Gordin

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    I??m glad to see so many of you appreciate Zappa??s playing. I feel he gets overlooked. I mean dude absolutely MURDERED the solos, AND he introduced Hendrix to the wahwah!

- J

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Did anyone say Jorma

I mean, the Airplanes performance at Monterey is one of the best pieces of S.F. sound. Right between Surrealistic Pillow and Bathing at Baxters.

Based on the few solos I heard her play at last month's Green Bay rockabilly/R&B festival, I'm half-tempted to put Barbara Lynn on the list...as good a guitarist as she is, you seldom hear much of that on her records.

• kinjameskinjames 19 Posts
    My faves...

1. Jimi Hendrix
    2. Duane Allman
    3. Jimmy Page
    4. Carlos Santana
    5. Peter Townshend
    6. Eric Clapton
    7. Eddie Van Halen
    8. Angus Young
    9. Stephen Stills
    10. Allen Collins

• I'm sure most of these guys* have been mentioned but what the hell (in no order):

- Phelps 'Catfish' Collins*
    - Jimi
    - Eddie Hazel
    - Buzz Osbourne*
    - Sonny Sharrock
    - Marc Ribot
    - Trey Spruance*
    - Jimmy Nolen
    - Wes Montgomery
    - Liuz Bonfa

*not mentioned. For SHAME.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Can we get a country/bluegrass top ten guitar list going?

Bluegrass and Traditional Country

A big #1 Doc Watson
    The remaining 9 in no order:
    Maybelle Carter Defined country and bluegrass guitar
    Lester Flatt No hot licks but was the foundation for Bill Monroes most important line up and decades with Earl Scruggs
    Norman Blake
    Thumbs Carlisle
    Merle Travis
    Uncle Oswald (I think that's who I am thinking of) Dobro old school
    Jerry Douglas Dobro modern
    Clarence White
    That kid who plays fiddle with Edgar Meyer and Yo Yo Ma. I saw play guitar many times when he was a teen, and he is killer. Blanking on the name... Driving me nuts.

Any way I am forgetting lots of old guys. This is weighted toward bluegrass/country/folk.

That kid who plays fiddle with Edgar Meyer and Yo Yo Ma. I saw play guitar many times when he was a teen, and he is killer. Blanking on the name... Driving me nuts.

Mark O'Connor. Replaced Tony Rice as the guitarist in the Dave Grisman group and toured them and Stephan Grappelli when he was 18.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Jimi Hendrix
    DeWayne Blackbird McKnight
    Ernie Isley
    Robert Cray
    Stanley Jordan
    Tom Morello
    Wes Montgomery
    Albert Collins
    Curtis Mayfield
    Jimi Hazel

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    1.grant green
    2. bola sete.
    3. baden powell.
    4. o'donnell levey
    5. Dennis Coffey.
    6. Luiz Bonfa
    7. Melvin Sparks
    8. Hendrix

I cant think of anymoar at the moment.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

- Phelps 'Catfish' Collins*

*not mentioned. For SHAME.

For sure, I was about to say that he was conspicuously absent from these lists. Also props on the Blackbyrd McKnight inclusion, and I would have to also all Gary Shider as well. Also happy that Ernie Isley is included on so many lists.

Surprised nobody's mentioned Neil Young yet either.

But for real, I think these posts end up pretty much becoming "Let's name every guitarists that we know." Not that it's self defeating, but they eventually succum to unfocusedness. Not that there's anything wrong with that, and perhaps it's just me hating because I know that any list I would come up with be rendered completely obsolete within minutes.

HOWEVER, can we just all agree with Jimi being included in anyone's/everyone's top guitarists lists? I mean, that should just be a given, like the 11th commandment or something like that.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    folks need to recognize the genius of Vic

HOWEVER, can we just all agree with Jimi being included in anyone's/everyone's top guitarists lists? I mean, that should just be a given, like the 11th commandment or something like that.
    I'll agree.

Also Django.

• Volker Kriegel

deserves more shine. there are so many excellent records with Kriegel involved and I think his style is really nice.

I've been wanting to check out his music. Do you mind recommending some decent records he plays on?

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
    Here is my focused list (took me this long to figure it out!)
    unranked:

Charlie Christian
    Wes Montgomery
    Jim Hall
    George Freeman
    Hendrix
    John McLaughlin
    Zappa
    Fripp
    Pat Martino
    George Benson

Curtis Mayfield

I usually don't think of Curtis as a guitarist. He would definitely be in my top rhythm guitarists(should be separate thread). I know he could step out front easily with the guitar, but he rarely seemed to right?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Though he is mostly known as a songwriter, Elliott Smith was one helluva guitar play. When he started playing around during college, the general buzz in the valley was all about his incredible picking skills. It wasn't until quite a bit later that his songwriting took center stage. Check the new record if you need proof of skillz, particularly the first track 'angel in the snow'. Crazy talented.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I know Ravi Shankar is a sitar player. If any of you have a problem with me including him on my list. I have a bag full of dicks you can chew on.

- spidey

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts

Volker Kriegel

deserves more shine. there are so many excellent records with Kriegel involved and I think his style is really nice.

I've been wanting to check out his music. Do you mind recommending some decent records he plays on?

as a leader:

Spectrum, Inside:Missing Link, Lift!, Octember Variations (all MPS) & with a little help from my friends (liberty)

Kriegel involved:

Dave Pike Set Lps (Infrared, Noisy Silence, Album...), Jonny Teupen - Harpadelics (all on MPS)

• Though he is mostly known as a songwriter, Elliott Smith was one helluva guitar play. When he started playing around during college, the general buzz in the valley was all about his incredible picking skills. It wasn't until quite a bit later that his songwriting took center stage. Check the new record if you need proof of skillz, particularly the first track 'angel in the snow'. Crazy talented.

Agreed. I will add his influence, Nick Drake, into this discussion, as well. Absolutely one of my favorite guitarists ever.

EDIT: Looks like he's already been mentioned a few times...

Curtis Mayfield

I usually don't think of Curtis as a guitarist. He would definitely be in my top rhythm guitarists(should be separate thread). I know he could step out front easily with the guitar, but he rarely seemed to right?

He didn't solo often, but in the '60s and early '70s just about every other soul record that came out of Chicago (and some that weren't) had a Curtis-INFLUENCED guitar part, if they couldn't get Curtis himself. So the man was doing something right.

Curtis Mayfield

He didn't solo often, but in the '60s and early '70s just about every other soul record that came out of Chicago (and some that weren't) had a Curtis-INFLUENCED guitar part, if they couldn't get Curtis himself. So the man was doing something right.

No hot licks, but his guitar was the sound that the Impressions, Major Lance, his solo stuff and a lot of other of his productions was built on. It was a unique sound. List him with other guitarists whos unique sound defined their music, Richie Havens, Keith Richards, Bob Dylan (maybe not that unique)...

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I gotta go with these folks (in no particular order):

-Neil Young.
    -Stevie Ray Vaughn.
    -Jimi Hendrix.
    -Eric Clapton.
    -Howlin' Wolf.
    -Buddy Guy.
    -John McLaughlin.
    -Prince (don't sleep).
    -Jimmy Page.
    -Lightnin' Slim Hopkins.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

-Lightnin' Slim Hopkins.

Lightnin' Slim and Lightnin' Hopkins were two different people, but I'm not bustin' nobody's chops - they were both great!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Jimi Hendrix
    Jeff Beck
    Mike Bloomfield
    Django Reinhardt
    Charlie Christian
    Nile Rodgers
    Ali Farka Toure
    Phil Upchurch
    John Renbourn
    Cornell Dupree

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    -Lightnin' Slim Hopkins.

Lightnin' Slim and Lightnin' Hopkins were two different people, but I'm not bustin' nobody's chops - they were both great!

Brainfart, my bad!!! Actually, I meant Lightnin' Hopkins (who I was listening to around the time of my original post). It's funny how you forget about stuff you loved when you haven't listened in a loooooooong time.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Ten of my favorite guitarists who are not Jimi Hendrix:

Jonny Greenwood (am I really the first to mention him?)
    Jeff Tweedy
    Dave Davies
    Tom Morello
    Jimmy Page
    Tony Iommi
    Frank Zappa
    Tom Verlaine / Richaerd Lloyd (Television)
    Keith Richards
    Alex Chilton/Chris Bell (Big Star)

• rocco2nrrocco2nr 530 Posts
    (excluding hendrix, no particular order)

dwayne allman
    bert jansch
    mark knopfler
    buddy guy
    frank zappa
    pete townshend
    bukka white
    son house
    eddie van halen
    chuck berry

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    malkmus