Main Ingredient vs Isleys (Summer Breeze)

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
I love both these versions of Summer Breeze. Been playing them every morning back to back. It's a tough choice, but I'm riding for the Bert DeCoteaux arrangment.

Comments

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    THAT LP IS . MY OLD MAN WOULD PLAY THAT OUT WHEN I WAS YOUNG!!!!

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I love both these versions of Summer Breeze. Been playing them every morning back to back. It's a tough choice, but I'm riding for the Bert DeCoteaux arrangment.

I love that Main Ingredient LP

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

Man, I have to admit. This is a group that I have slept on. Euphrates is the only record I have. I passed up Black Seeds the other for day $8. I regret that. I find beat-to-hell copies of Aphrodisiac all the time. How are Tasteful Soul and Bitter Sweet?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Man, I have to admit. This is a group that I have slept on. Euphrates is the only record I have. I passed up Black Seeds the other for day $8. I regret that. I find beat-to-hell copies of Aphrodisiac all the time. How are Tasteful Soul and Bitter Sweet?

Tasteful Soul is pretty good. Definitely check for the cut Magic Shoes.

Bitter Sweet has the classic Everybody Plays The Fool.

Both worth picking up.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    The song alone, Main Ingredient version, but only by a hair. The Isley version scratches a particular itch...like the Main Ingredient version is the daytime version and the Isley one is the nighttime one.

Talking full LPs - definitely

like the Main Ingredient version is the daytime version and the Isley one is the nighttime one.

That's a good way to put it. The guitar solo on the Isley's version def works better around dusk.

• MikeBossyMikeBossy 41 Posts
    I pretty much agree here, but if we're talkin about the Main Ingredient...

Don McPherson> Cuba Gooding

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I just took my copy out and listening to it! Hell yea.
    The first time I actually listened to "summer breeze" was on Paul Nice's Soul on the Grill mix.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Seals/Crofts OG is/was my Spring jammy

I'll have to pull the others out before I choose

Main Ingredient albums are crazy hard to find in good shape

• djstefdjstef 534 Posts
    I choose the Isley Brothers.

• I go for the Main Ingrediant one but both are blazin..also Ramsey Lewis's version..

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    main ingedient has the tricky sweet minor key flip when he gets to "...mind"

which makes it the winnah for me.

its true that most main ingredient lps are thrashed, but for some reson ive found this one many times in minty shape. i didnt hoarde them though, i left them for other diggarz.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    ISLEY BROTHERS HANDS DOWN

not that i don't dig the m.i.'s version too, but man... the isleys version is a soul music staple. isleys kilt it with the rock covers bitd... wish more artists did that these days, like sista gurl who covered the No Doubt song a minute ago

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    I'd go with the isley's version but I rather listen to "California My Way" of Euphrates.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    ISLEY BROTHERS HANDS DOWN

not that i don't dig the m.i.'s version too, but man... the isleys version is a soul music staple. isleys kilt it with the rock covers bitd... wish more artists did that these days, like sista gurl who covered the No Doubt song a minute ago

I always thought the Isleys (or what's left of them) should do a Givin' It Back II, where they're giving the rock-soul treatment to Fall Out Boy or some other current alt-rock act.

[Givin' It Back

GOD I LOVE THAT RECORD

• TheBeatGoesTheBeatGoes 711 Posts
    Let's not forget about Stingee (props to cocainblunts.com)

http://www.zshare.net/audio/20903699a355e7/

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    No question the Isleys win here... that guitar! wheeew

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    Jackie Mittoo's version is so mellow it hurts...

• oldjeezyoldjeezy 134 Posts
    But it's called "Have a Little Sunshine", right?

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

Thanks for helping me to rediscover a record I have probably never listened to since I bought it like 7 years ago.

On the strength of this thread I pulled out the Main Ingredient LP and was blown away by Summer Breeze. This shit is getting regular play now!

Thankyou SS

• In this case I choose Isley Brothers...
    Gabor Szabo's version is nice too... I like this song and
    I have versions from Szabo, Ramsey Lewis, Jackie Mittoo,
    Caezar Frazier (nice one!) - any other recommendation?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

The Isley version scratches a particular itch...like the Main Ingredient version is the daytime version and the Isley one is the nighttime one.[/b]