Everything was going so well until...

2»

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    King Curtis

I have this smoking King Curtis 45 on Trip at home called Soul Train (Parts 1 & 2) and it is !!

The horns are tight on that one.

No WEEEEEEEEEEEEEE like cars skidding a good song to a dead halt.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Never got it with Rollins

(or you don't like jazz )

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Basically every King Curtis and Jr. Walker record is ruined by, well, them...a cool little vamp/groove is chugging along and then "WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" some proto-SNL band bullshit horn solo

That's like hating water for being WET. That's what Curtis and Junior DID, and that's what I'm into, sorry. I hear that WEEEEEEEEEE and I'm like "about damn time!". Coltrane and them are okay in their place, but I'm no jazz expert, I just know what I like. (Never got it with Rollins, although this comp I have of Coltrane's Prestige stuff ain't half bad.)

And as far as the SNL pit band association, I'm not gonna stop listening to Eddie Floyd just 'cause some disco diva fucked up "Knock On Wood."

yeah but Chuck Higgins, Big Jay, Louis Jordon and the like did it SO much better and were SO LESS instrusive on the piece of music, they played around the tune not just dropping a turd in the punchbowl...and as far as SNL, I wasnt referring to the association, I was reffereing to the sound and style of that shit...you know neon signs reflected in the wet streets stuff...King and Jr. had this style that is nails on chalkboard to me.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Sonic Youth - Mildred Pierce

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Basically every King Curtis and Jr. Walker record is ruined by, well, them...a cool little vamp/groove is chugging along and then "WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" some proto-SNL band bullshit horn solo

That's like hating water for being WET. That's what Curtis and Junior DID, and that's what I'm into, sorry. I hear that WEEEEEEEEEE and I'm like "about damn time!"???And as far as the SNL pit band association, I'm not gonna stop listening to Eddie Floyd just 'cause some disco diva fucked up "Knock On Wood."

That's the whole problem. The players of "SNL cheese sax" are steady biting that 60s r'n'b sax tradition. David Sanborn, Tom Scott and the likes most likely adored King Curtis, Jr. Walker, Fathead et al, but they could never be anything but whitebread epigones. That doesn't make the OG players any less great. I'm not mad at that style if it's got soul. The biters just don't have it.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Sonic Youth - Mildred Pierce

Yea, I hear you on that one but the ending is almost perfect. I couldn't picture it ending any other way...

they played around the tune not just dropping a turd in the punchbowl

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    WHAM "CARELESS WHISPER" SAX IS ALL I CAN ALLOW IN MY LIFE.

THIS IS NOTHING BUT A BITE OF THE RAPHAEL RAVENSCROFT STYLE

SAXUALITY[/b]

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Never got it with Rollins

(or you don't like jazz )

youre actually right, im only a sometimey jazz fan at best.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    One of the few sax solos I like...

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    This one kills it right off.

Raphael Ravenscroft?

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    SAXUALITY[/b]

Oaky, now we are blurring two totally, distinct sub-genres of - ness.

Candy is SEXY SAX.

Clarence Clemmons and Ranvenscroft are Rawk/Skwak Sax.

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts

Raphael Ravenscroft?

HIS OPUS

GETTIN' BACK TO THE ORIGINAL TOPIC...[/b]

I think "Short Shorts" by the Royal Teens ("Who wears short shorts? We wear short shorts!") would work WAAAY better as an instrumental...there's some SICK Link Wray-ish power chording on the guitar, but you gotta get past those goofy vocals to get to it...

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    There's about a million songs that have been ruined by vocals. You know, when the intro is melting your face then FUCK! This singer is awful.

...and unnecessary bridges/bad choruses.

RE-EDIT!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    As a (lapsed) tenor sax player, I am shocked and appalled at all the sax-bashing in this thread. (But seriously, sometimes horn solos are just completely unnecessary.)

Also, the flute is dope, dammit.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    wtf how do people hate pop sax solos w/ sade and hall&oates

why listen to sade at all, dorks

I'm starting to wonder if your ears are painted on (like the old folks say), deej

"I Can't Go For That" - club/dance 12" which bumps until it is DESTROYED by flaccid parping, no call for that whatsoever (and I hate to imagine folks in the 80s dancing to that part too)

Listening to an early Sade album because you appreciate her spectacular voice and songwriting and getting full-on ASSAULTED by BS weaksauce 80s soundtrack sax on multiple tracks is just painful... to say its all right and natural is unacceptable

I am a jazz fan and can get into some early RnR/RnB sax soloing but aimless unimpressive pop solos and/or King Curtis/Jr Walker playing the vocal line w/sax style both send me into a violent rage

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    wtf how do people hate pop sax solos w/ sade and hall&oates

why listen to sade at all, dorks

I'm starting to wonder if your ears are painted on (like the old folks say), deej

"I Can't Go For That" - club/dance 12" which bumps until it is DESTROYED by flaccid parping, no call for that whatsoever (and I hate to imagine folks in the 80s dancing to that part too)

Listening to an early Sade album because you appreciate her spectacular voice and songwriting and getting full-on ASSAULTED by BS weaksauce 80s soundtrack sax on multiple tracks is just painful... to say its all right and natural is unacceptable

I am a jazz fan and can get into some early RnR/RnB sax soloing but aimless unimpressive pop solos and/or King Curtis/Jr Walker playing the vocal line w/sax style both send me into a violent rage
    i think lite-sax is a part of the appeal, and i imagine it is for lots of people who think comparing pop-sax to coltrane is obtuse

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Dudes, nothing kills a song, especially some mid 70s funk/disco jam, like some wailin' ass proto-Eddie Van Halen Wee-da-laaa-Weee-da-laaaa solo. Those six-stringed fools are killers.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    like a huge chunk of the middle of Black Sabbath's Warning

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

Raphael Ravenscroft?

HIS OPUS

MEGA SHRED
    ALHAMBRA LIKE WHOA, BRA

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    ULTI-SHRED

THERE IS NONE OTHER

I FEEL THE BURN
    BR>
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgwETZKNPZc

EDIT: IT JUST DAWNED ON ME THAT I SAID THIS ALREADY. DECIDED NOT TO DELETE IT, 'CAUSE I WANTED TO HEAR YOUR THOUGHTS ON MOTOWN SAX SOLOS, GOOD OR BAD (AND NOT COUNTING JUNIOR WALKER).[/b]

I would never bash the sax - the instrument in general is alright with me - but you know who used to have some WEAK saxophone breaks?

Motown. (Junior Walker excepted.)

They were always in the low register, never went anywhere, sounded like the cat played their first sax that day, and you wouldn't miss 'em.

The one example that comes to mind: the Supremes'"Where Did Our Love Go."