THE JOKER/batman begins/Dark Knight

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    An action film may not a need a amazing actors, but someone with a pulse and some presence would help. Holmes added nothing to every scene she was in, was totally unbelievable as a tough lawyer and as cute as she is, the fact that she goes cross-eyed during close-ups is too distracting. I think Gyllenhaal makes sense in this series. I would have been way happier though if it were Clea Duvall.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I think the Joker is usually portrayed as too goofy.

IMO he is a completely menacing dude.

When reading Batman I always found his jokes
    and goofy tricks were genuinely scary, maybe
    because the Joker was one of the few villains
    in comics that would seriously kill people on
    the regular. In the 70's, Denny O'Neill had the
    Joker as a complete mass murderer with a huge body
    count. All the trappings of his schtick just made him
    seem all the more frightening, not more accessible.

When portrayed, this edge seems pretty lost to me. Caesar Romero
    had him as a goofy Vegas sideshow and Nicholson made him a dry wit
    with a massive ego, AKA he made him Jack Nicholson.

He needs to be dark, as dark as the dark knight.

I agree 100%. Also, say what you want about Ledger, but he is NOT a bad actor.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

My man Peter Sarsgaard representin'!

These movies aren't necessarily about acting, but you have to be able to pull your weight. In the last Batman flick, Katie Holmes was so weak and miscast, it was distracting. Her role was meant to convey some sort of strength, and she never conveyed that at all.

That one screenshot at the beginning of this thread is damn near enough to make me see this movie. IMAX completely sold me on it.

I agree that the Joker is more a menacing lunatic figure than some joke-spewing coo-coo-for-Coco-Puffs lunatic. Or at least should be. Maybe they're doing that this time around?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I disagree w/ the takes on Holmes role in the Begins. The Hollywood lOve story shit got put to the back burner. Holmes' character didnt have than much screen time in comparison to the other leading ladies in Superman Returns/Spiderman - all fuckin 3/XMan-no cilvilian love/and The first run of the Batman flicks which were all Love driven.
    I felt Holmes character was woven well into the larger storyline, and was convincing as the old friend who convinced me to rethink my plans for vengeance.
    The scene where she slaps the shit outta me, gave me tingles in my spandex.
    Maggie will no doubt add a dash of complexity to the role, but my Utility belt will stay on my waist when she walks into the room.

And w/ the Joker.....

He not insane........that the real joke.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Maggie will no doubt add a dash of complexity to the role, but my Utility belt will stay on my waist when she walks into the room.

Dude, you need professional help

Dude, you need professional help

Yes, Commishioner......

• edulusedulus 421 Posts

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    meh.

Heath ledger really has to surprise me for this role. Does anyone else feel like this movie is being pushed too far ahead of it's release date? I'm starting to lose interest.

- spidey

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

"batman" meets "heat"... looks dope, thx...

meh.

Heath ledger really has to surprise me for this role. Does anyone else feel like this movie is being pushed too far ahead of it's release date? I'm starting to lose interest.

- spidey

Im not losing interest, but I dont have to see half the movie before it comes out.
    Theyre building this shit up so much. Stop w/ the Spider-Man marketing.

The Joker stylists did a good job.........not too neon, dark tones mixed w/ pop shit.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    TRU

being a HUGE b-man fan. This is the best joker look IMO since a while. They got it spot on. The dude always looked too clown-ish and mostly clean. This look is fantastic.

agreed.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

Im not losing interest, but I dont have to see half the movie before it comes out.
    Theyre building this shit up so much. Stop w/ the Spider-Man marketing.

• lamaslamas 39 Posts
    bank robbery link was taken down. got another source for it?

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    TRU

being a HUGE b-man fan. This is the best joker look IMO since a while. They got it spot on. The dude always looked too clown-ish and mostly clean. This look is fantastic.

agreed.

Also, I like how there's supposed to be no pop-psychology "oh, he was abandoned as a child, beaten by his stepfather, blah blah blah" to explain away and/or try to make the Joker more human and sympathetic. Just pure evil with no explanation.

• shhhh....

first five minutes of movie...

Damn, Warner Bros already pulled it off You Tube.

• TRU

agreed.

disagree. he was always pretty clean cut in the books.
    im not feeling the rendition, from what i see in the trailers. not exactly sure whats not right, though. i didnt like jack nicholson either

• for days. not a single remarkable shot/scene in there.

the banquet/dinner party confrontation, the gratuitous explosion, the leading lady turning head shot, the motorcycle chase. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

paint by numbers schitt.

• for days. not a single remarkable shot/scene in there.

the banquet/dinner party confrontation, the gratuitous explosion, the leading lady turning head shot, the motorcycle chase. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

paint by numbers schitt.

It's the trailer. I'm hoping for psychological suspense as well, but no way in hell will they portray that in a preview to a summer blockbuster this early in the game.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    The BAT CHAT-TITUDE STRIKES AGAIN!

That schitt looks dope, but then again I think Jumper looks dope, haha. I'll be in the first showing with Batmon and Malus. I'll be the one with Joker facepaint.

Hi.

• get yiuchi's girl to paint it on you

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    get yiuchi's girl to paint it on you

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    shhhh....

Does anyone else think it's Warners that is posting this
    shit, viral marketing style, or am I just a paranoid hippie?

• shhhh....

No, it clearly was someone who had smuggled a recorder of some sort into a sneak preview.

• shhhh....

I was thinking the exact same thing.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    i was doing research on the joker, as he is my idol, and was reading about how bob kane or whoever created him, and the joker's character was based on this film:

^isn't that insane!! dead phucking ringer!

Another Joker inspiration is a Coney Island image of a smiling jokeresque face circa 1930's.

The recent (last 15 yrs) "deepening" of the Joker is what most Cats have been referencing because of the revampings success but in the 60-early 80's Joker wasnt overtly portrayed as this "super-twisted" Hannibal Lecter steez. Dude was regular crazy. After Frank Miller upped the ante in Dark Knight where they referenced/hinted at him raping Selina Kyle/Catwoman, orhaving homosexual tendencies in Arkham Asylum, writers have really augmented the Jokers "freakness"
    Check out Batman Beyond where they hinted at him raping Tim Drake/Robin. Shit he even killed a Robin/Tim on the actual book continuity.

Joker after The Dark Knight Returns...

Before DKR....

• murderous clown