Your feelings on promo tags...

TacitTacit 15 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
I'd be interested in getting some feedback from producers/beatmakers here that shop beats. I'm trying to get my foot in the door and am wary of handing music out to would-be beatjackers. On the other hand, promo tags are pointless unless you don't even leave one open bar to loop, which can make for uneasy listening and have people write you off as obnoxious.What are your suggestions or own strategies?In addition, any general advice you have for someone trying to get their beat-hustle on, I'd appreciate it very much as someone who never took music business classes in college and will admit openly that my business sense is rather undeveloped, 'specially for a Jew.i know since i'm a newbie, this will most likely be ignored, but you can also check out some of my beats at http://www.myspace.com/tacitbeatsMuch thanks. I'm glad I was introduced to this online community and look forward to more exchanges with you folks.

Comments

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    First off, some of the stuff on your myspace is really nice man.

In the situations where a) its going to be only the web for every foolio and his dog to download or b) I don't feel I can trust leaving a track with someone, I mono the mix out, put it on both channels, and on one throw a spoken word track really low in the mix. That way i figure you can always invert one channel and pull out the spoken word to prove they stole it. I don't think it would do you much good legally, but it helped me out with a uni lecturer who was consistently stealing shit from me, and I think he got fired.

That being said, none of my stuff is really worth stealing, he was just lazy.

• TacitTacit 15 Posts
    thanks for the suggestion. definitely not something i ever would have dreamed up myself, but seems like that might be the middle ground between security and obnoxiousness. only question is, if someone really were bent on stealing your shit, couldn't they just capture the channel without the spoken word and then create their own mono mix out of that? or maybe i'm misunderstanding your process.

any other suggestions? those of you out there with beat tapes circulatin? i know you're out there.

• JayGeeJayGee 313 Posts
    I don't think it would do you much good legally, but it helped me out with a uni lecturer who was consistently stealing shit from me, and I think he got fired.

That being said, none of my stuff is really worth stealing, he was just lazy.

WTF?