Non Rarer That you could listen to forever

kalakala 3,361 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
as much as i love oop rare ass records that are great and soulfull, time and time again I still come back to the basicscurtisissacmarvinarethasylversjames brown and companystaxbluenotemilescoletranemonketc.....anyone else feel this way?

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    anyone else feel this way?

Yes, not always about the same records though:

James Brown
    New Birth
    Nite-Liters
    Issac Hayes
    60s Motown
    George Harrison
    Yusef Lateef
    Buffalo Springfield
    Neil Young

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    as much as i love oop rare ass records that are great and soulfull, time and time again I still come back to the basics

curtis
    issac
    marvin
    aretha
    sylvers
    james brown and company
    stax
    bluenote
    miles
    coletarne
    monk

etc.....

Sure. Great music isn't just about the RAERS, but the need to discover something new on a regular basis... that's in a lot of us. I have my old standby's, be it Miles, EW&F, James Brown, Pink Floyd, Beatles, Allman Brothers Band, Neil Young, Yes, Mingus, Herbie Mann, or the man you call Coletarne[/b].

That's almost a given, although there's nothing wrong with being a private press purist, or someone who listens solely to rare albums or B-sides.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    it takes a writer

sp fixed sorry to offend

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    yup!!
    For me it's:
    isaac hayes
    the counts
    lonnie liston smith
    roy ayers
    passport
    saint tropez
    ohio players
    alot of the earlier funkadelic psych stuff

• Manduro3000Manduro3000 265 Posts
    SLY & THE FAMILY STONE
    KOOL & THE GANG

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Most of what I own is fairly common and I don't really have any records I don't like. The list could go on for days.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    side 2 of Cymande I. had some people over the other day for an hour, i just put it on repeat and it was instant magic environment.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    EWF
    Kool & The Gang
    D-Train
    Rick James
    Bobbi Humphries
    Herbie Hancok
    Kraftwerk
    The Clash
    Sister Sledge/Chic

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    side 2 of Cymande I. had some people over the other day for an hour, i just put it on repeat and it was instant magic environment.

Shit - that whole LP is majik.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

Crusaders

• fredfadesfredfades 584 Posts
    5th dimension - stoned soul picnic
    les mccann - talk to the people

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    les mccann - talk to the people

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Don Cherry- Brown Rice.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Bill Withers ("Kissing My Love" = one of the greatest songs ever)
    James Brown, of course
    EWF
    AWB
    New Birth/Nite-Liters
    Recently, I've been bumping the shit out of Tower of Power's East Bay Grease.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    as much as i love oop rare ass records that are great and soulfull, time and time again I still come back to the basics

curtis
    issac
    marvin
    aretha
    sylvers
    james brown and company
    stax
    bluenote
    miles
    coletrane
    monk

etc.....

Why do it always got to be raer vs. non-raer? It's all there for the taking - good music is good music, hit or miss!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

curtis
    issac
    marvin
    aretha
    sylvers
    james brown and company
    stax
    bluenote
    miles
    coletrane
    monk

etc.....

Why do it always got to be raer vs. non-raer? It's all there for the taking - good music is good music, hit or miss!

Right...and when you think about it, there are a bazillion more amazing non-raers than amazing raers...

• Honestly, sometimes the raer oop tracks are but just worth a bunch of dough....that's it. They are good for on the record wall for weekday/end finds

Good music is good music, whether 500 pressed or 2 million pressed.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    steely dan - aja
    dizzy gillespie - a night with
    billy joel - 52nd street
    fishbone - fishbone
    william bell - forgot to be your lover
    and a bunch of rap albums that i don't feel like putting forth right now....

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Alice Coltrane
    Otis Redding
    Al Green / most early 70s Willie Mitchell
    late 60s Kinks
    Beatles/early Lennon + Harrison solo
    Raincoats/Slits etc
    some Ornette
    some Talking Heads
    some Bowie/Eno
    prime-period P.E. and De La
    Neil Young
    Curtis Mayfield and C.M. productions
    most of the better-known Tropicalia, Afrobeat and Krautrock records

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Yes, I'm a:

Jimmy Castor
    Donald Byrd - Places and Spaces still isn't old to me.
    Kraftwerk
    JB stuff never get's old

yeah, there's a lot of sh*t

Right...and when you think about it, there are a bazillion more amazing non-raers than amazing raers...

id put it about 50/50 either way myself

• Never gets old.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

nah, I bet you could come up with 5 non-raer titles for every raer title that would be able to go head-to-head for quality

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

nah, I bet you could come up with 5 non-raer titles for every raer title that would be able to go head-to-head for quality

I say go for it. Anything to make soulstrut more exciting today. :groan:

I say go for it. Anything to make soulstrut more exciting today. :groan:

Ah, go on back to your ole "tropical disco mix" ::triple groan:: and let the kids have their fun!

(although I'll give you credit for recognizing Patti Drew's genius...massive cosign, for real!)

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Damn you all. If James Brown and company, Cymande, Curtis Mayfield, Niteliters, Beatles, Miles, Coltrane ain't raer, then what is? Do you guys not care about pressings and condition? What I mean is, NM originals of these go for what to me is real money. I thought this was going to be about records you could pick up on the cheap, but were really good. Instead people are talking about Otis Redding records, which I think are both hard to find and expensive, unless you don't care about condition and pressings. Besides who does not prize their Otis Redding, even if it's mp3s?

Anyway I'll quit crying. The one I was going to say probably does not belong on this list but, here it is anyway:

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Instead people are talking about Otis Redding records, which I think are both hard to find and expensive, unless you don't care about condition and pressings.

It's true - I've slowly been improving my "Sings Soul Ballads"
    pressings, from beat electric stereo, to clean elec. stereo,
    to fairly beat mono, which I was happy to get. There is a grip
    mentality that I know I fall into, where it's like

and you think you don't "need" a record, but your copy is garbage.
    Clean copies of popular albums can be incredibly hard to find.

• Does the title of this thread suggest that rare records are more listenable or something?

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    MICHAEL JACKSON! all day every day. peace, stein. . .