weekend digs n' clons 5/26...

karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
what is up with 1100 pound boars running in the woods. that is like dinosaur level shit. that thing would stamp your guts out and then have you for a snack. if theres any out in my woods i hope there are 13 year olds stationed up in the trees with powerful handguns. Also i found many records, pictured below.^^that ventures is pretty cool for the ventures. the big time sdtk is nice. the yellow flower one i know zero about but i needle dropped and heard a break so i bought it. the sinatra is neat: nice e-z latin duets with jobim, etc.^^ a lot of king curtis gets me sleepy but this one sounds harder. melbas just 70s country with a wicked cover. top right has a teen chorale version of "kites are fun". this it the first time ive ever seen/found that james brown. gale garnett pre-psyche/folk days.^^golden tears is really insane casablanca disco with very odd nu-age spoken word parts. this picture is mostly mellow log cabin music, but quality stuff.^^ top right (Blue Notes) looks like one more bahamas hotel snoozer, but 1 or 2 tracks cook. the noel soto is some sorta Spanish prog, sounded quite cool. Big Hits? you mean Big... subliminal marketing! Yes, im posting a Black Merda reish in a finds post. Its russian and 180G, so what the hell, its cool. tired of waiting for an original.^^wally whyton has a neat cover of 'its all over now baby blue' and is the only thing on Flying Dutchman Amsterdam that i can recall seeing. Robert Wyatt was in Soft Machine. Sonomas got breaks! (or one at least)^^ stray is tuff psyche-ish rock on mercury, pretty scarce. steel river is counrty-ish-rock with some hard parts on evolution. toxic reasons has a '82 punk cover of "the shape of things to come"!^^thanks to strutters for info. i got the trifecta for $70, which feels like a nice deal. (all were sealed, and ive opened them, no warps no problems)now for some neat 45s..and one local rap 12. not bad, not amazing. nice homegrown lo-fi feel. One song they use a bunch of the snoop style "izzle" type rhymes, which seems real early for 1987. (??)

Comments

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    and one local rap 12. not bad, not amazing. nice homegrown lo-fi feel. One song
    they use a bunch of the snoop style "izzle" type rhymes, which seems real early
    for 1987.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Yes, im posting a Black Merda reish in
    a finds post.

That's ok, it's next to a $100 Mighty Baby record that you
    probably paid $2 for.

I like that Bert Sommer record. Mellow styles.

I'm not a break collector, but all I could think of when
    I took that GAME album home and played it was "break heads
    would go nuts for this."

That THINK 45 is ridiculous. A fucking Public
    Service Announcement (and a twisted one at that)
    that went TOP 20 in the US - not once, but twice!

Nice finds, but not enough clon.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    the looks they give each other are perfect!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

for 1987. (??)

Looks either familiar and/or interesting. I got a Rochester hip hop 12" by a dude named "TK Dynamite". Ever heard of him? Random rap treasurezz..

• kidinquisitivekidinquisitive 1,627 Posts
    for 1987.

Believe it or not there's actually a detailed wikipedia entry on this topic. I was guessing UTFO was the first to do it but they weren't.

"The first musical use of the "izz" infixes came from funk musician Frankie Smith's 1981 hit single "The Double Dutch Bus". The song's bridge contained numerous uses, such as "gizzirl", "wizzat", "mizzove", and "wizzay" (the above words are "girl", "what", "move", and "way"). It also used "ilz" infixes in a set of names, like "Bilzarbra", "Tilzommy", and "Milzary" ("Barbara", "Tommy", and "Mary"). Snoop Dogg in fact samples Frankie Smith's version of "The Double-Dutch Bus" in his song "Snoop Dogg". Smith's 1981 album Children of Tomorrow also contained a song entitled "Slang Thang (Slizang Thizang)," which outlined the rules for speaking in this manner.

The 1985 song "Roxanne Roxanne" by UTFO used the "izz" infixes with lines like: "The izzi is the grizzeat Kizzangizzo" and "Then crizzi to gizzone and seen number izzone."

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    $.50-3 except for the amoeba joints

for 1987.

Believe it or not there's actually a detailed wikipedia entry on this topic. I was guessing UTFO was the first to do it but they weren't.

"The first musical use of the "izz" infixes came from funk musician Frankie Smith's 1981 hit single "The Double Dutch Bus". The song's bridge contained numerous uses, such as "gizzirl", "wizzat", "mizzove", and "wizzay" (the above words are "girl", "what", "move", and "way"). It also used "ilz" infixes in a set of names, like "Bilzarbra", "Tilzommy", and "Milzary" ("Barbara", "Tommy", and "Mary"). Snoop Dogg in fact samples Frankie Smith's version of "The Double-Dutch Bus" in his song "Snoop Dogg". Smith's 1981 album Children of Tomorrow also contained a song entitled "Slang Thang (Slizang Thizang)," which outlined the rules for speaking in this manner.

The 1985 song "Roxanne Roxanne" by UTFO used the "izz" infixes with lines like: "The izzi is the grizzeat Kizzangizzo" and "Then crizzi to gizzone and seen number izzone."

There's a track from 1971 by the Lost Generation,
    on Brunswick - I think it's 45-only, not on either LP -
    called "Talking the Teenage Language" that actually has
    a breakdown where a "teenager" talks in "izz" speak and
    the singer than translates what he said, singing it soulfully.
    I wish I had the single here so I could transcribe it,
    it's great and absolute "snoop style" 20 years before G-Funk, but
    I lent it to SS's P_Gunn a looooong time ago and never saw it again.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    for 1987.

That is a great Lost Generation 45, I forgot all about the breakdown until you mentioned it, it's on one of the issues of their 'You're So Young But You're So True' 45. The other issue has 'Sly Slick & Wicked' on the flip. I don't know why.

for 1987.

That is a great Lost Generation 45, I forgot all about the breakdown until you mentioned it, it's on one of the issues of their 'You're So Young But You're So True' 45. The other issue has 'Sly Slick & Wicked' on the flip. I don't know why.

i had spaced on the double dutch situation but this earlier stuff is totally new to me. someone sendspace it if at all possible.

also forgot about the utfo. how about some other good 80s examples?? just curious about the pre-snoop.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    $.50-3 except for the amoeba joints

What's the deal with the "Foxy girls in Oakland" joint?

Digs:

Some local cheapies, bunch of oldies stuff from Stereo Ja*k's -
    Carl "Black Bag" Holmes in his earlier days of rocking NYC nightclubs.
    The Bossa record is really fantastic, a 1963 US issue of a 1962 LP by
    Juarez Araujo that looks like this:

Perfect copy and a flawless pressing - some of the best OG
    bossa stuff I've found - very jazzy, with hot solos.

Eddie is a dupe and a white label. Finally got the Billy Butler
    & Infinity (I've had a couple of the 45's forever), and it kills.
    Shout to JP and GRNYC for the Black Slavery Days. Superfine copy
    of a deep and deadly album. Gene Chandler is my fuckin' man, and
    I was so thrilled to find that LP, in a usually quiet store, too,
    for a good price.

Some 45's:

That Phil Flowers shreds. Anyone with an R&B dance
    night needs that shit. A Cleopatra dance where you
    "move your head side-to-side like a cobra." Shit yeah.

CLON:

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

not in the best shape, but listenable. dope album.

couple joints on this

dope

mine has a different cover, solid album though

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Hey YNot

What's that record on first pic, top left (girl on telephone)?
    That pic was used on a library record, too.

Peace

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Hey YNot

What's that record on first pic, top left (girl on telephone)?
    That pic was used on a library record, too.

Millie Jackson - It Hurts So Good

Peace

Thanks, N**l.

We're proud of our classic architecture in Copenhagen...

You should be!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    That record might be good, but a lotta Big Black records I've heard have been disappointing.

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
    DAWGS TODAY MY FRIEND WHO WORKS AT THE RECORD SHOP HAD THE [/b] CTI BRIEFCASE [/b] IT'S JUST BIG ENOUGH TO FIT SOME LP's INTO

I'M NOT KIDDING, I WISH I COULD GET THIS PIC OFF MY PHONE

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

What's good by that Big Black dude? I know he played on some Doug Carn recs.

His records are very ecclectic and up and down IMO. Lion Walk is actually one of his better ones. ALso check out If You're Diggin What You're Doin.

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/review/review_insert.php?item_id=771

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/review/review_insert.php?item_id=2038

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

Thanks, N**l.

That's probably one of her best records as well. Well worth checking out.

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/review/review_insert.php?item_id=1426

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Today's eBay action:

1 cent each!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    albert dailey- the day after dawn.

The album is . Atleast for some.

That's probably one of her best records as well. Well worth checking out.

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/review/review_insert.php?item_id=1426

Thanks for the tip and link, Motown.

Peace

• hit the thrifts today and found a few interesting records

found a few sealed copies of this, has one alright jazz/funk track the rest is doo doo

record of some dude telling a crowd about his crazy life of drugs and crime

some homemade folk record from new york with pasted on covers

found a nice stack of soul/funk 45's at one of the thrifts, all were pretty common though i'd never seen this one before, the most interesting of the bunch too

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    hugh hopper-tunity box
    isotope-deep end

found a nice stack of soul/funk 45's at one of the thrifts, all were pretty
    common though i'd never seen this one before, the most interesting of the bunch too

Considering that a bootleg can sell for over $100 US ,
    I think there's a good chance that it's a fairly valuable record ...

Today's eBay action:

1 cent each!

you sound poor.