Fiduciary[/b]

[color:white].[/color]

Fid

DOUCHE

eee

airy

• Fiduciary[/b]

Fid

Yes as in Fiddy or Fidel[/b] but no to Fido[/b]!

DOUCHE

A gauche choice.

eee

Keep saying that and they'll put you on the short bus.

eee as in "i" as in susheee.

Not "i" as "uh" as Fi is Fuh.

Fuh Fuh Fuh Fuh Foolin'!

airy

As in vocabulairy, the Kabul Guy.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    I shaved my legs for this?

Look, all of my free time is imaginary, unavailable, residing in that place where a Sasquatch squats, leafing through Dave Tompkin's vocoder book while shitting jackalopes, and I'm supposed to reach into this phantom zone and shave off precious-beyond-precious parmesan shingles of That Time Which Does Not Really Exist, only to see them whittled at and frittered away by limp-click threads like this? Dude, I was holding it down at the Weiner's Circle, sprankling that old J-Pain, on some "Shawty, let me buy you a fraaaaaank..." when the Batt-Fone rang. Told myself to ignore it, forget it, leave it, but I figured that surely the one TCB wouldn't bother me unless it was serious business. And I get here and it's like "Yo, how many cans in a six-pack?"

For wasting my time in this thoughtless manner, may all your waking hours and sleepless nights be haunted by an inescapable film-loop of yourself sharing a piece of gum with Amy Winehouse, with the latter dressed inexplicably as a sexy Count Chocula.

A POX ON YOU

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Remind me to visit Chicago some day.

• I like the part where he goes "I'm T-Pain".

Here's another one I've been having treble with:

Hubris[/b]

I'm pretty sure it rhymes with "Huey Lewis And the Lubricated Nudists"
    though the way it really tips it comes out more like
    "Who Smeared The Brie On My Barry Bonds Donruss?"

That last part's whata get ya. That Russ.

That's right, "ris" as in "Russ", not "ris" as in "Gris-Gris".

Oh yeah:

Gris-Gris[/b]

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    esiding in that place where a Sasquatch squats, leafing through Dave Tompkin's vocoder book while shitting jackalopes

I would like to know just how far this can be stretched.

Hi.

That's right, as in "That's why Russ Ross runs these Gris-Gris two at a time"
    (I also receive word that he refers to his guest bathroom as "The Octagon", but keep that on the D.L. Hughley Dance Riddim #45)

The thing with "hubris" is, you gotta prononunce that first syllable as in "Hugh Madsen," not as in "hoo-ride," lest you risk exposing yourself as someone who reads too much yet somehow still not enough, not unlike my previously mentioned man down at Dr. Wax asking if they had any "Terry Caul-yay." (And for the record, no, they did not in fact have any. Quelle suprise.)

If you happen to have access, Terrence, to any archival recordings of former Chicago mayor and parrot enthusiast Harold Washington, I know that he said "hubris" more than a little.

esiding in that place where a Sasquatch squats, leafing through Dave Tompkin's vocoder book while shitting jackalopes

I would like to know just how far this can be stretched.

Hi.

Science has never been my strong suit, but I believe that the answer to this would depend on whether or not the Sasquatch in question had recently consumed any dairy.

Hi.

That's right, as in "That's why Russ Ross runs these Gris-Gris two at a time"

Now, now, James...one should know better than to run 'round talmbout such discrete indiscretions. And speaking of secret secretions as they pertain to the (inordinate amounts of) time you spent in my Guest Octagon: the rules governing said quarters remain the same as on your last visit (no headbutts, groin shots, fishhooking or eye-gouging), but you will be pleased to note that I am re-thinking my position on small joint manipulations, which would leave you free to--how is it you say this one in Chicago? Ah yes, Polish the Polish.

The pronunciation rule for that phrase, by the by, would be "ah before oh," but methinks that even Young Clurb Burp knowed that.

small joint manipulations

Okay, 1) it's not my fault you keep that place so cold, and 2) it took so inordinately long because I kept getting my concentration broken by your repeated through-the-door entreaties to "just tap out, James! Tap out!"

I mean, dang, dude--can I live?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    "Terry Caul-yay."

Ha! This reminds me of an interview I once read with Robert Palmer (around the time, one presumes, he was paying off a particularly big tax bill by singing with The Power Station) in the 1980s. During the course of the interview, Palmer was asked what was currently floating his musical boat, and one of the acts he mentioned was "Sayd". Bewildered, the hack admitted that he/she had no idea who Sayd was - how's that spelt, by the way? "S,A,D,E," replies Palmer. Oh, you mean "Sad??"?, says the hack. That is how you pronounce it, then?, asks Palmer. "I thought that was just American DJs trying to make it sound exotic".

• D.L. Hughley Dance Riddim

I think it is worth interrupting this frenzy of semantic prowess to note that the self-same Mr. Hughley was on my flight to Jamaica wearing some serious "Air Jesus" Teva-stylez footwear and a light green denim jacket. Does this mean that somewhere, on another airplane, Bill Bellamy was sporting a short-sleeve Vangrack hoodie and Aqua Socks? The mind boggles...

McCoy:
    I've always been mildly curious: Was the UK issue of Promise also tagged with the "(pronounced 'shar-day')" subtitle like my cassette was, or was that just some shit for the colonials?
    p.s.: Obliquely dissing Power Station is like obliquely dissing Robert Palmer, Duran Duran, Chic, and--not least of all--yourself. Don't be so circumscribed.

Brown:
    That shit about short-sleeved hoodies pushed my tie-top hat back. And green denim? Yo, I need to fish out my old Stussy boonie hat, not now but right now. Also, it may be worth noting that where I grew up in South Carolina, Aqua Socks and jeans was an appallingly viable look. (Weather permitting, my man Trey was not above pairing/perpetrating said look with a full-length brown suede duster) Find you a girl with some overall shorts and some canvas Side 1s, and everything's summertime. (Does anybody remember those Side 1 commercials with the three bohos in some sort of Strange Relationship lounging around an indoor pool? Shit was a few years early, kinda like that Cappio drank [not to be confused with that flavored LaCroix drank, which Clubbup was taking to the grill as recently as 2006])

No one in particular:
    Though I cannot locate it precisely, somewhere at the nexus of all this is is the relevance of the fact that when I was last in Medici Bakery a few months ago, I heard--in succession--Brent Bourgeois's "Dare To Fall In Love," The System's "Don't Disturb This Groove," and Natural Selection's "Do Anything." I got all misty, lost somewhere in the middle distance of the last seventeen years. I had to grab my sub-par batard and bail before I spontaneously sprouted a vest.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    McCoy:
    I've always been mildly curious: Was the UK issue of Promise also tagged with the "(pronounced 'shar-day')" subtitle like my cassette was, or was that just some shit for the colonials?
    p.s.: Obliquely dissing Power Station is like obliquely dissing Robert Palmer, Duran Duran, Chic, and--not least of all--yourself. Don't be so circumscribed.

I think it may have been the latter, though a distant bell is ringing concerning the UK issue of Diamond Life, which may have carried a similar pronunciation key.

As for the Power Station, I always considered them to be a bit less than the sum of their parts, unfortunately. That said, it does sound as if everyone involved had plenty of fun, so the "tax bill" dis was a bit cheap, I guess. I have a world of time for the work of Robert Palmer and Chic, and Duran Duran have had some great moments, even if they arrived at a time when I'd become a little too cynical to really embrace them.

• Hubris[/b]

Gris-Gris[/b]

what's funny is that both those---
    are actual names of people I know.

Well technically. Gris-Gris is just Gris Nunez Marillo.
    But Hubris J. Watkin was my maths teacher in my Junior year of high school.

what an odd flashback sound...

• Brown:
    That shit about short-sleeved hoodies pushed my tie-top hat back. And green denim? Yo, I need to fish out my old Stussy boonie hat, not now but right now. Also, it may be worth noting that where I grew up in South Carolina, Aqua Socks and jeans was an appallingly viable look. (Weather permitting, my man Trey was not above pairing/perpetrating said look with a full-length brown suede duster) Find you a girl with some overall shorts and some canvas Side 1s, and everything's summertime. (Does anybody remember those Side 1 commercials with the three bohos in some sort of Strange Relationship lounging around an indoor pool? Shit was a few years early, kinda like that Cappio drank [not to be confused with that flavored LaCroix drank, which Clubbup was taking to the grill as recently as 2006])

As the saying goes, sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words...

I'm trying to keep it all the way Chess King in 2008: an orange denim UMen jacket, some Z-Cavaricci pants, although maybe I'll dip down the escalator in that imaginary shopping mall in my mind and get some Giorgio Brutini shoes (patent with the buckle) to complete the look.

As for the Power Station, I always considered them to be a bit less than the sum of their parts, unfortunately. That said, it does sound as if everyone involved had plenty of fun, so the "tax bill" dis was a bit cheap, I guess. I have a world of time for the work of Robert Palmer and Chic, and Duran Duran have had some great moments, even if they arrived at a time when I'd become a little too cynical to really embrace them.

I know, I know; I was just yanking your frank. "Some Like It Hot" is tough to front on, though. It's as if a focus group was conducted on What The People Want In A Dance-Rock song--"Loud drums!" "Two Guitars!" "Lyrics that are blatant! Yet mysterious!" "Horny! Yet sophisticated!" "Sexy! Yet fascist!"--then all the values were calculated, and then doubled, inflating it past human, into the perfect and the alien. Part of me cannot believe that this song ever existed in the physical realm, is actually the result of human labor. It's like one of those pictures that comes with the frame.

And seriously, it doesn't get much better than Chic. What's that line? Something like "The history of post-Beatles rock can be summed up in seven syllables: Led Zeppelin, Ramones, Chic." Apart from the fact that only a herb would take three syllables to say "Zeppelin," I'd mostly agree. Plus, melancholy disco--which nobody does better--is where I am at these days. The season is tilting, and shit is very close to the surface right now. I heard some remix from motherfucking Brandy that used a slightly slowed version of the sad, circular horn refrain from "I Want Your Love," and even that got me a little rainy-day, like I was watching a ship sail away. Sigh. If anyone needs me, I'll be down at the rattan spot in a fringed scarf ordering soup for one and waiting for the cooling-off of a cup of tea that was cold when I got it.

I'm trying to keep it all the way Chess King in 2008: an orange denim UMen jacket, some Z-Cavaricci pants, although maybe I'll dip down the escalator in that imaginary shopping mall in my mind and get some Giorgio Brutini shoes (patent with the buckle) to complete the look.

Ah, but the cipher is not yet complete without...

[Wrinkly/slouchy leather boots with buckle, however, are optional, but highly recommended.]

• I'm trying to keep it all the way Chess King in 2008: an orange denim UMen jacket, some Z-Cavaricci pants, although maybe I'll dip down the escalator in that imaginary shopping mall in my mind and get some Giorgio Brutini shoes (patent with the buckle) to complete the look.

Ah, but the cipher is not yet complete without...

[Wrinkly/slouchy leather boots with buckle, however, are optional, but highly recommended.]

Son, a bolo tie! It has been officially tooken there!

• Apart from the fact that only a herb would take three syllables to say "Zeppelin," I'd mostly agree. .

Wouldn't a British person say the full Zepp-e-lin with three syllables?
    And surely all Brits are not herbs.

Below Herb and Everyman is Tard, who only need say:

ZEP.[/b]

Rep your city's hard rock radio station's Led Zeppelin nightly highlight:

GET THE LED OUT[/b]

ZEP SET[/b]

Tard may be a tad hard on those pesky band name shorteners.

But when I'm in front of the camera, trying and failing to strike a threatening
    pose, and the photographer says "think of something someone said that made you
    really really angry!", what I think of then is a composite skate-rap street urchin from 1990 calling Jane's Addiction just Jane's[/b].

Jane's.[/b]

Like a surly waitron at Dick's Last Resort, my retort is that you might
    as well be a fanboy of a band called "Shirley's".

Dangling possessives are rarely a good look.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

But Hubris[/b] J. Watkin was my maths teacher in my Junior year of high school.

What an awful thing to name your child.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    If anyone needs me, I'll be down at the rattan spot in a fringed scarf ordering soup for one and waiting for the cooling-off of a cup of tea that was cold when I got it.

Steamy.

How's Betsy?

Hi.

Apart from the fact that only a herb would take three syllables to say "Zeppelin," I'd mostly agree. .

Wouldn't a British person say the full Zepp-e-lin with three syllables?
    And surely all Brits are not herbs.

I'm not certain; I've never spoken with a British person regarding The Zep, and the last conversation I had with a Brit concerned bats. Weather and bats. And car-sharing. But mostly bats. One of these days we need someone from Austin (does anyone on this message board happen to be from Austin, Texas? Anyone at all? No one? Surely there must be someone) to rep the bat scene down there. It's apparently pretty deep. And the fact that I heard about it from an outsider is probably a metaphor for something.

In any event, it was certainly not my intention to imply that all British people are herbs. I'm sure their herbs per capita is equivalent to ours, though I think they might call them "'erbs."

Hubris J. Watkin
    Best name since Furious Styles. Gets bonus points for not being fictional.

Whatchu know about some Dan?

YOU MINOR, WE MAJOR (DUDE)

FULLY LEDDED[/b]

If anyone needs me, I'll be down at the rattan spot in a fringed scarf ordering soup for one and waiting for the cooling-off of a cup of tea that was cold when I got it.

Steamy.

How's Betsy?

Hi.

Not "steamy" so much as "merst."

Doing well. In full effect with some Barbie-branded stunna shades she yoinked from a strategically low rack at the Walgreen's. Noxious commercialization notwithstanding, it's a good look. I hope Young Miss Handbasket is getting along okay, too.

Hey.

One of these days we need someone from Austin (does anyone on this message board happen to be from Austin, Texas? Anyone at all? No one? Surely there must be someone) to rep the bat scene down there. It's apparently pretty deep. And the fact that I heard about it from an outsider is probably a metaphor for something.

YEAN KNOW GUANO 'BOUT DAT.

And I think it's spelled outsideur.

Apparently the locus for Austin's bat population is the underside of a particular bridge. Can accusations of "crossing over" be far behind? Not to mention the fact that, as Mexican free-tails, they aren't even really from Texas. Pfft.

THREE WORDS:

"PERUVIAN GUANO TRADE"