Pigeons coming home to roost (not metaphoric)

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
Pigeons have taken up residence in the space between my ceiling and the actual roof. While I don't actually mind sharing architectural space with my aviary brethren, alas, these suckers are leaving bird shit all over my porch. Anyone deal with this before? Suggestions on how to get these birds outta here that doesn't involve an air rifle, poison or loose ferret?

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Pigeons have taken up residence in the space between my ceiling and the actual roof. While I don't actually mind sharing architectural space with my aviary brethren, alas, these suckers are leaving bird shit all over my porch.

Anyone deal with this before? Suggestions on how to get these birds outta here that doesn't involve an air rifle, poison or loose ferret?

Get a cat?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Close off the area?

• spaceghostspaceghost 605 Posts
    chase them out and then close any openings with chicken wire. you can fashion spike strips out of chicken wire to lay on top of the beams so they have no place to land.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Glue nails pointing up on your "architectural space"

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Pigeons have taken up residence in the space between my ceiling and the actual roof. While I don't actually mind sharing architectural space with my aviary brethren, alas, these suckers are leaving bird shit all over my porch.

Anyone deal with this before? Suggestions on how to get these birds outta here that doesn't involve an air rifle, poison or loose ferret?

Get a cat?

I believe that would be equal to the "loose ferret" idea. Moreover, dropping a cat off in the crawlspace above would also involve getting said cat OUT of crawlspace.

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    alka-seltzer!!!

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I would develop a virus in your basement that targets only pigeons in your building.

Then release it into the space in the ceiling, preferably in airborne form.

There's no way that shit'll backfire as long as it's especially designed only to target pigeons living in your particular building.

That or venomous brown tree snakes. Surely once they've finished eating the pigeons and pigeon eggs they will just die off. Problem solved!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    May all your homes be plagued by vermin!

(Not really a mad doggie)

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    chase them out and then close any openings with chicken wire. you can fashion spike strips out of chicken wire to lay on top of the beams so they have no place to land.

yeah they make spike strips especially for that purpose too, one of the duplexes I lived in had them all over the beams and gutters on the roof. they probably have them at the mega-hardware stores like home depot or lowes.

i don't know how you could get them out safely though. and the alka seltzer idea is no good - you'd have one hell of a mess to clean up.

edit:

http://www.birdbgone.com/birdspikes.htm?r=google

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts