bugs in your record collection

BigNachoBigNacho 47 Posts
edited June 2005 in Strut Central
anyone here ever seen a bug-infested record collection?

Comments

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    nope. and hope i NEVER ever see one in my life

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    Yo this is no joke one time I was diggin at a local spot in so. cal dessert and there was some bug eggs and a TURD inside of a copy of John Coletrane "Live at the villiage vanguard" word a turd! not human very small but still a turd! I'm talking bout doo doo!

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    I used to have one. I'd find dead moths and decomposing Daddy long legs. It happens much quicker than you'd think. My old house also had an ant colony underneath it. When it got hot, they lived in my house. I kind of got used to it after a while. It was comforting and very fun to watch them.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    Yo this is no joke one time I was diggin at a local spot in so. cal dessert and there was some bug eggs and a TURD inside of a copy of John Coletrane "Live at the villiage vanguard" word a turd! not human very small but still a turd! I'm talking bout doo doo!
    My therapist said I was tromatized

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    Silverfish

Record Storing Tip:
    When keeping records in storage for a long time, place the open end of the cover with the open end of the plastic sleeve (if you use them). This helps to keep the silverfish from eating away at the seam.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    About 4 years ago I went to this hillbillies house in Chicago, he had stock boxes of all kinds of 45s. I was about 3 boxes in, and roaches started creeping out. I dropped the box and I was out. I still wonder what kinda stuff I missed.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I was about 3 boxes in, and roaches started creeping out. I dropped the box and I was out.

fuck that, i woulda done the same.

• BigNachoBigNacho 47 Posts
    Silverfish

these motherfuckers! i hate them. they give me the creeps. i've come across many of these flattened bastards (or a shed exoskeleton or something) sandwiched between the cardboard and shrink wrap of an old record.

Record Storing Tip:
    When keeping records in storage for a long time, place the open end of the cover with the open end of the plastic sleeve (if you use them). This helps to keep the silverfish from eating away at the seam.

interesting. why does this work? are silverfish the creeps responsible for the sort of evenly gnawed spines you sometimes come across?

i wonder if there's a reasonable prophylaxis against these things.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I still wonder what kinda stuff I missed.

roach doo-doo, roach babies, roach teenagers, roach adults and a truck load of totally disgusting. ah well...

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Silverfish

these motherfuckers! i hate them. they give me the creeps. i've come across many of these flattened bastards (or a shed exoskeleton or something) sandwiched between the cardboard and shrink wrap of an old record.

Record Storing Tip:

interesting. why does this work? are silverfish the creeps responsible for the sort of evenly gnawed spines you sometimes come across?

i wonder if there's a reasonable prophylaxis against these things.

im assuming its so they can't get to the bottom if the seam is at the bottom of the box.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    About 4 years ago I went to this hillbillies house in Chicago, he had stock boxes of all kinds of 45s. I was about 3 boxes in, and roaches started creeping out. I dropped the box and I was out. I still wonder what kinda stuff I missed.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

pretty gross but i've managed to deal with it. i've had roaches not only come out of the boxes, but literally rush single file through holes in the wall.

i hate silverfish. totally gross.

ever encounter any completely freaky bugs or wildlife while diggging?

I've actually had some fear of snakes down here. it wouldn't surprise me to bump into one. rats are not too far-fetched either. I've heard them, just never seen 'em.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    Maaan, I'm dealing with a massive moth infestation in my pantry. Right now all my canned goods and pots & pans and whatnot are strewn around the kitchen while I blast the hell out of it. I'm hoping the strays I miss don't make a beeline to the record shelves.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

Whatever, I'd be in there in a second.

That said I did watch a documentary on killer insects the other night and it freaked me out. Bot flies are not to be fucked with. They are flies that use other flies as hosts to spread their young onto you (or any warm blooded creature). Then they burrow into you and when the tiny maggots have grown into fat larva, they come out and fall to the ground. brrrrrrrrrrrrr

That and the tiny white worm parasites that burrow around in you and you don't know you have one until it makes its way across your eyeball. Google it up I dare you.

PS don't scroll down if you're squeamish or eating or anything.....

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    pretty gross but i've managed to deal with it. i've had roaches not only come out of the boxes, but literally rush single file through holes in the wall.

OH HELL NO. fuck Asafa Powell (current world record-holder of 100m; 9.77 as of Tues), you woulda seen ME record the world's fastest (unofficial) 100 meters!!!

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

Whatever, I'd be in there in a second.

That said I did watch a documentary on killer insects the other night and it freaked me out. Bot flies are not to be fucked with. They are flies that use other flies as hosts to spread their young onto you (or any warm blooded creature). Then they burrow into you and when the tiny maggots have grown into fat larva, they come out and fall to the ground. brrrrrrrrrrrrr

That and the tiny white worm parasites that burrow around in you and you don't know you have one until it makes its way across your eyeball. Google it up I dare you.

PS don't scroll down if you're squeamish or eating or anything.....

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
    Nothing beats the THES one story about the fleas from Peru that he brought home and got eatin up by those things... Did he dump all that wax? I can't remeber, and where did I read that???? Great story and the old dude jumping in the flame of wax.. One of the best record stories I've read... Anyone else read that?

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    I was digging in this guy's garage one time and pulled out a box from a back corner, as soon as I did it, a termites nest opened up and they came swarming out. They crashed on my face and got all up in my hair. I turn around and in a few seconds the entire garage was filled with flying termites. Needless to say I was pissed off! the dude was like, "Why the hell did you do that?! I told you no one has gone through those boxes in seven years!" I gave him the "you're fucking kidding me" look and we got into a huge argument about the termites. I told him to fuck off and he says, "Well, how about the records you already pulled?" "Fuck that I don't want a termite infestation in my house!"