~ Finds of the Weekend ~

2»

Comments

• nice scores from a guy with a great record collection in park slope yesterday -> moving sale. some of these are from the past few weeks but a lot are from him. also trips to good records, gimme gimme, A1, and a couple hangs with sen-yor Aleit.

these top ones I spent some money on, reasonable rates though.

the thai record is some recent limited press issue with no info about the group. really cool sounds though. if anyone knows the scoop, please school. gloster was thrown in for free (cause of the water damage) - can't complain about that.

phil moore jr. is possible highlight of the whole weekend, just cause I'd never heard of him before. kirkland is a re, but good music for for cheap is what i seek.

cheepees

more cheapness

I'm jealous about that latin blues band... came close to getting it a couple times, still hunting though.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    promo copy for 20.

dolla bin find: Stax: memphis gold volume 2.

and some blue noet turrentine. and this for 13

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

No clue what the deal is on the JA presses - the Dennis Brown is
    an Observer label in a Sonic Sounds sleeve ... Sugar has the red/yellow
    NYC label and a poor lithograph, but should be an old pressing based
    on the rest of the collection.

Both of those are vintage pressings.

The Observers label I think is the original on the Dennis Brown. Fantastic record. I have a Sonic Sounds issue; it was distributed through Sonic so I am sure all of the covers have that label on it. Not an uncommon practice in Jamaica and I often find original JA issue LPs inside British, American, or other Jamaican issue sleeves.

The Sugar Minott is a 2nd issue and the first is on the "rosette" label which precedes the red/yellow "1" label. Still vintage and legit.

Great scores. I wonder what else was in that collection!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    find for the shop...but an amazing find

William Bell "You dont miss your water" ACETATE

whoa!

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Flea and store cheapies from the last 2 weeks:

A lot of dupes (gulgowski, mance, natdamperen, beskidte dusin, russell/evans,
    capes&masks, 90day wright, urbaniak, jazzrock workshop, coffey, sunrize,
    schulze, soul finders).

Some nice surprises too.
    Been listening a lot to the Dusty Springfield LP today, I really dig the title track.
    I expected the Orquestra Cubano De Musica Moderna to be straight cheese,
    but it's pretty good in a loungey way and features the usual suspects from
    Irakere like Chucho Valdez, Paquito Rivera, Arturo Sandoval, Enrique Pla et al.
    I thought the Dutch "Jingels" record would be wack, but it has some pretty
    funny/usable moments including a recurrent "E.T." space voice saying lines
    like "I want to hear future funk" and some nice early 80s new wave/electro skits
    featuring gratuitous amounts of vocoder and pitch shifter.
    I didn't expect much from the Zambomba LP considering the recording year (81),
    but there's a nice progressive latinjazzy cut on it called "Sun People" that I like.

A couple of 45s, the best being

The Nilsmen "The Sand Step/Le Winston"
    The Boys In The Band "The Boys In The Band/Sumpin Heavy"
    Little Milton "Friend Of Mine/Friend Of Mine (instrumental)"

A couple of 12"s:

J. Walter Negro & The Loose Jointz "Shoot The Pump" b/w instrumental
    Real Thing "Boogie Down (Get Funky Now)" b/w instrumental (yellow vinyl)
    War "Living In The Streets/Keep On Doin'"

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Both of those are vintage pressings.

Thanks, Jon - I fully admit I threw that info out there
    hoping you would drop some knowledge. Online discographies
    listed the Dennis Brown as a Trojan original, and then US issues
    having a Sonic Sounds in a Trojan sleeve, so I was wondering
    if mine was just a JA OG or a more recent issue. Nice to know
    it's the rill dill. I figured the Sugar was a second (at least)
    but also assumed it was pretty vintage and not a new repop.

Great scores. I wonder what else was in that collection!

Yes - these are 2 of the best reggae albums I own. I was wondering
    myself if I missed out on anything, but it only frustrates to sit
    and wonder on what you might have missed ... I'm happy with these
    2, especially at less than $15 apiece.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I just popsiked those Little Buck 45s on Seven B I got, looks like they are way more of a score than the Marlena Shaw LP I had never even heard of the Seven B label before yesterday.....

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    I just popsiked those Little Buck 45s on Seven B I got, looks like they are way more of a score than the Marlena Shaw LP I had never even heard of the Seven B label before yesterday.....

2 things.
    1- for someone who buys the amount of 45s you do, best to read up on Seven B, Eddie Bo, and them NO Cats. You can fill up a whole other room with that output.

2- Little Boy Blue is one fucking hell of a score. Congrats.

• 6fran506fran50 266 Posts
    I had never even heard of the Seven B label before yesterday.....

maybe the greatest new orleans soul label ...

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    nice scores from a guy with a great record collection in park slope yesterday -> moving sale. some of these are from the past few weeks but a lot are from him. also trips to good records, gimme gimme, A1, and a couple hangs with sen-yor Aleit.

these top ones I spent some money on, reasonable rates though.

the thai record is some recent limited press issue with no info about the group. really cool sounds though. if anyone knows the scoop, please school. gloster was thrown in for free (cause of the water damage) - can't complain about that.

phil moore jr. is possible highlight of the whole weekend, just cause I'd never heard of him before. kirkland is a re, but good music for for cheap is what i seek.

cheepees

more cheapness

I'm jealous about that latin blues band... came close to getting it a couple times, still hunting though.

Where did you get the Thai record? NYC? That's a local reissue by Mississippi/Exiled Records. Less than 1000 made. Most are already gone at this point.

BAN

• Where did you get the Thai record? NYC? That's a local reissue by Mississippi/Exiled Records. Less than 1000 made. Most are already gone at this point.

Yeah, I got it in brooklyn at E*% W*$ in the USED section, but it didn't look used and was obviously a limited edition type of thing from the hand glued cover art. Where is Mississipi/Exiled located? if you know any info about the music or how to find out more about the label please share. The record is dope. gave it a spin on air last monday and have no clue who to credit the music to.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    It's apparently from some anonymous tape found at a flea market or something. It's really cool. Same guy/guys did a good African comp last year as well.

• best of the last two weeks -

went out and got that big ass expedit, best move I've made in awhile, getting these crates tamed around here, going to get another in a couple of weeks -

and then my girl's parents gave me this last night for my record room. They made this themselves, they're crafty like that. The poly-urethane is still drying (hence the yellow spots) but I think it's cool as shit -

SONIC

BAN

BAN

here's a pic of lil buck I took last year to go along with your 45 that I have never been able to dig up...nice find

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Holmes has learned much today. As Little Buck would say, ' he is deeper, he's wiser, he's older...'

Wow, thanks for the pic, I have most definitely been to school today.

• Found a mess of italian pop, rock, and psych-ish 45s

the "E Qui La Festa" is a riot

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    yesterday afternoon: $1 each

today:
    random/mob rap were a buck each. the rest were $2-15

overpaid

Where did you get the Thai record? NYC?

I think it is incredible that you visually quoted
    9 photographs of 41 albums just to ask that question.

The Coltrane stool is bonkers. What the heck are
    the legs made out of?

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

The Sugar Minott is a 2nd issue and the first is on the "rosette" label which precedes the red/yellow "1" label. Still vintage and legit.

I dig on those red and yellow labels, great pressings, alot better than many of the JA Studio One's.
    Plus, since they haven't pressed those since the 80's you know they are "vintage" as JP put it.
    The black and white Studio One labels are the ones that can really throw you since so many of them are
    still being pressed today.

• The Coltrane stool is bonkers. What the heck are
    the legs made out of?

Some sort of shellaced branches, real rustic and shit.

SONIC

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Where did you get the Thai record? NYC? That's a local reissue by Mississippi/Exiled Records. Less than 1000 made. Most are already gone at this point.

Yeah, I got it in brooklyn at E*% W*$ in the USED section, but it didn't look used and was obviously a limited edition type of thing from the hand glued cover art. Where is Mississipi/Exiled located? if you know any info about the music or how to find out more about the label please share. The record is dope. gave it a spin on air last monday and have no clue who to credit the music to.

split label. Two record stores here in portland. One is already sold out and the other has more. Crink got the rest. they don't know what it is either.

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
    clean yard sale finds, pretty cheap:

Shaft in Africa LP
    Bar-Kays- Gotta Groove (Volt)
    Booker T and the MGs- McLemore Ave (Stax)
    Roland Prince- Color visions (Vanguard)
    Main Ingredient- Ltd (RCA)
    Cymande- the Message 45
    Funky Broadway 45
    etc