I found a fat wallet (BofA sucks related)

djstefdjstef 534 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
I found a bulging wallet sitting on the curb in front of a parking garage a few buildings down by my office yesterday. Inside are a driver's license, check card, cash and a gang of receipts.I tried finding the owner's name in the phone book and online, no go. (And I have mad search skills.) Our office manager gave the name to security to see if he works in our building, he isn't listed. I mailed a letter to the address on his license but am not going to mail the wallet there, in case he has moved. There are no cards or numbers in the wallet I could call to ask if they know this person.I called Bank of America to tell them I found the check card. They took the name and number and told me to destroy the card or return it to a BofA location. I asked if they could help me contact the owner because I have his wallet. Man on phone says "NO." No??!!! *click*I've left a message with my connection at the DMV who has access to mad personal info. Haven't heard back yet.I've tried to find a contact at [financial service association] who may be able to help, as it is a [financial service association] check card. Haven't heard back yet.If all this doesn't pan out, what can I do next? I'm not giving it to the police.

Comments

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    MOP IN THE PARK BEER FUND

• HairyBelafonteHairyBelafonte 1,202 Posts

How far away is the address on the license? Thought about stopping by and asking if he is home? maybe a bit upfront,but I bet he'd be stoked if he still lives there.

if I ever lose my wallet, I hope somone as honest as you finds that shit.

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    i see your good intentions and all... but i'm not the least bit surprised that a bank wouldn't give out personal information like that... no matter what the person on the phone is claiming as their reason to contact this person. i seriously would've just mailed that to the address on the driver's license with everything but the cash... but that's just me.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    i seriously would've just mailed that to the address on the driver's license with everything but the cash... but that's just me.

Cosign. Everybody knows... No cash in the mail!!! Get yourself a nice dinner and pat yourself on the back for a your good deed of the day.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    I'm not giving it to the police.

why?

DO NOT GIVE TO POLICE.

Had a bad experience giving a wallet to them with cash, and the recipient receiving said wallet SANS cash.

Maybe it was one bad experience, but for my money (pun intended), i give no more cops cash.

• djstefdjstef 534 Posts
    They don't have to give me his phone number. They could call him and tell him his card and wallet were found. Wells Fargo will do that much.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    They don't have to give me his phone number. They could call him and tell him his card and wallet were found. Wells Fargo will do that much.

WELLS FARGO VIRAL MARKETING ALERT!

DJ STEF IS A NOW A PAWN OF THE WORLD BANK!!!

LIZARD PEOPLE IN THE PARK?!?!?!

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    ok.. i'll confess... about 6 months ago i found a lady's wallet [one of those big wallets] with EVERYTHING... i'm talking like 5 credit cards, social security card, driver's license, insurance cards, work ID, etc etc... pretty much every important document except her passport. there was also exactly $246 in cash. the day i found it i was flat broke & still waiting for a paycheck. i mailed the wallet that same day to the address on her IDs [minus the cash of course]... i figure the headache i saved her from having to renew all that paperwork was worth that much... besides, i also think that god/life/nature [pick one] works in mysterious ways and found a way to get that money to my broke ass. i think everyone was happy in the end. if i ever lose a wallet, i'm definitely not expecting to see any cash that was in it ever again. i would consider myself lucky if i ever got my IDs back in the first place.

having said that... good luck with getting this dude his IDs... i'll leave the money part up to you.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Sounds like you've done everything a reasonable person could be expected to do. Wait for a response to the letter or from your contact at the DMV. Don't spend the money quite yet, but if you don't hear anything within a few weeks, it's yours.

I had a random person return a wallet I left in a cab one night, and I still remember it as one of the nicest things a stranger has ever done for me. For what that's worth.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    my connection at the DMV who has access to mad personal info.

how can I be down with this person b/w I sure hope I never unkowingly piss this person off.

the possibilities are endless.

• djstefdjstef 534 Posts

I've been a pawn of [financial service association] for a few years.

• djstefdjstef 534 Posts
    I'm not giving it to the police.

why?

• numericnumeric 152 Posts
    Dj Stef, Do yo have access to Accurint? You could find homie that way. If he was born anytime after 79 you could also search for him by name on Myspace. You would be suprised the jokers I have located in such a manner.

Dj Stef, Do yo have access to Accurint? You could find homie that way. If he was born anytime after 79 you could also search for him by name on Myspace. You would be suprised the jokers I have located in such a manner.

1. the name searches on myspace are impossible, no? I mean, do you even enter your real name when you set up a myspace? and if so can people really search those? I've tried searching folls and all I ever get is all the screen names, which seldom have anything to do with real names.

2. LOL that myspace only allows post-'79 searches! I mean, I know that accounts for 99.99% of myspacers, but it's still funny/awkward to hear that given that my old-ass is on myspace...

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    damn, yall a bunch of

what right does it give you "to steal" the money from the wallet?

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    I don't think anyone is saying 'take the money!' i've returned wallets, and its worked, and i've lost wallets and gotten them back sans cash.

but, what i am saying, is that if you run out of options...my trust of the police is lower than my trust of you holding on to that piece. that's what i'm saying.

• autoauto 198 Posts
    or you could try

http://www.zabasearch.com/

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

WELLS FARGO VIRAL MARKETING ALERT!

LIZARD PEOPLE IN THE PARK?!?!?!

You sound like you're on Chexsystems.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    So my mom was shopping for a purse at Marshalls. (Marshalls is a discount store that sells last seasons fashions and what ever the big department stores return to the distributer.) So she is shopping for a bag. My mom has to give it a test drive, so she takes everything out of her bag and puts it into the store bag. When opening a zippered pocket she finds a $20.00 bill. Best guess is someone bought bag, used it, then returned it without taking their 20 out. Mom decides not to buy the bag. So what to do with the $20?

1) Give to the nice people at Marshall in case someone comes in saying they left 20 in a purse.

2) Leave the 20 there for the lucky bag buyer.

3) Take the 20 out to dinner.

4) Call the police.

5) ...?

i figure the headache i saved her from having to renew all that paperwork was worth that much...
    If she was smart she still canceled the credit cards and maybe the bank accounts. All a theif needs are the #s. Still it was nice that you got all her non-cash stuff back. There are baby pics in those wallets people hate losing.

• ArtichokeArtichoke 112 Posts

this is nuts. i have always had unlisted numners, adresses, etc. however i was able to find out where my house is on this website. kinda scary. im interested if anyone else has tried this, and if results are accurate

this is nuts. i have always had unlisted numners, adresses, etc. however i was able to find out where my house is on this website. kinda scary. im interested if anyone else has tried this, and if results are accurate

That site is handy. Next time I'm searching for an artist.

They have my birthdate, which is kinda scary. The phone number is ages old. I to phone numbers, but not the one listed.

They have my wifes current phone number when I search her, and she gives that to very few people.

No last search function makes this a poor imitation of the on line price guide.

• im assuming you googled thier name to try and find an e-mail or checked craigslist in the lost/found.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    For the record, searching myspace does work. I found
    an ATM card a couple of months ago, and googling the
    guy's name came up with nothing but putting his proper
    name into myspace brought up his page and I was able to
    message him. He was a college student, so it kind of makes
    sense he doesn't show up on the normal grid - but I guess
    people do use their real names for myspace all the time.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

Someone posted this up a few years ago and I searched a few people with it. When searching my dad it came up with an address under his name about two miles from his house. I knew he'd never lived at the address, so my first thought was "My dad is having an affair!" Turns out he was just the co-signer on my younger sister's first apartment.

• sergserg 682 Posts
    a while back my credit card fell out of my wallet and a muni driver picked it up, contacted my bank (wells fargo), they had him drop it off at a branch and called me to pick it up. I heard the message on the phone the same day I lost it just before I was about to report my card as lost.

a while back my credit card fell out of my wallet and a muni driver picked it up, contacted my bank (wells fargo), they had him drop it off at a branch and called me to pick it up. I heard the message on the phone the same day I lost it just before I was about to report my card as lost.

damn that's gotta be the nicest MUNI driver I've never encountered.

• djstefdjstef 534 Posts

Yeah, still nothing.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Don't take the money... it's wrong both karmically and morally.
    Yeah, I just said that.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    IDIOT TAX.

working in bars, I have found many a wallet (as well as lost mine a couple times)

people are more concerned about their cards, drivers licence, personal shit than they are about the money.

and if they are concerned about money,, they should be more carefull with their wallets.

the cash is yours man.

Idiot tax.