Wild Alaskan Sockeye Salmon Recipes

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
Help a brotha out!I got four nice fillets (skin on). Tired of the same old.

Comments

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    that shit dont need anything....just brush with some olvie oil and garlic, sear on grill, squirt a lemon on it and eat that shit rare son.

• tjamestjames 156 Posts

In comparison to other species of wild Pacific salmon the Sockeye is smaller (thinner fillets) and quite lean, therefore it over-cooks easily. I suggest a brush of olive-oil (don't be shy), some sea-salt & pepper, a little lemon juice & rind and a generous coating of fresh dill. In the oven or on the bbq give it 8-10 minutes per inch thick. Also, I suggest a Sancerre from France or a New Zealand sauvignon blanc.

Enjoy,
    tjames

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    salmon shioyaki bro!

take them salmon fillets, rub it with kosher salt or like a coarse salt. let it sit there for a few minutes. they throw it on a wood fired grill til cooked. grate some daikon radish, lemon, make some calrose rice, and presto!

• word. little garlic, little ginger, and grill that right up.

i was a commercial salmon fisherman for about 6 years, so believe me I've tried everthing...

if'n you got leftovers, score yourself some yoshida's teri sauce, make a fresh batch of rice and throw the
    leftover bits (unheated) on top... great breakfast!

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Help a brotha out!

I got four nice fillets (skin on). Tired of the same old.

to bad you cant eat it . Im planning on eating some sashimi in a minute.

I always find just blackened salmon is dope to eat.
    I usually use this:

and

with some limes squeezed instead of lemons. I like my shit spicy.

(hijack)

Congrats on the baby, Fatback!!!!

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    hook it up with some sauteed onions, roasted garlic, a little sundried tomatoes, scallions, baby spinach (wilted, wine and bacon bits. That's how I'm serving it at my restaurant right now and it's simple and tasty!

• sneakypsneakyp 202 Posts
    Tired of the same old.

cure it in miso. take some white (shiro) miso, red (aka) miso, and some hacho or other dark miso. about 1 part each. whisk together with soy sauce and enough water so it's the consistency of a thick potage or creamy soup. shouldn't be excessively salty to taste, but enough so that you wouldn't want to eat a spoonfull oif it. fully submerge salmon in cure and marinate overnight. remove, and wipe off marinade with a towel.

sear skin side (be careful because there are sugars in the miso that will cause ot to burn easily). gently warm in a 150-175 degree oven. (the fish is cured so you don't want to overcook it). just warm through. serve with sliced shallots marinated in vinegar and a salad of bitter greens like mizuna, baby arugula, tatsoi, etc.

another idea is to roast it on a bed of young pine or juniper branches. pine and salmon is a great combination. just make a small nest of pine branches in a saute pan and place your salmon on top. then drop in the oven. for those in urban areas just make sure to wash any dog pee off any low lying branches before using.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Tired of the same old.

open fire, a piece of wood, juniper, pepper and salt.

attach the salmon to the piece of wood with twigs of juniper (or small nails). place it close to the fire as seen above. put a couple of potatoes in the fire.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    hook it up with some sauteed onions, roasted garlic, a little sundried tomatoes, scallions, baby spinach (wilted, wine and bacon bits. That's how I'm serving it at my restaurant right now and it's simple and tasty!

sounds awesome! I personally like simple dishes. I am so tired of complex shit with foam and all this demi glace.

(But I do like a good port-veal demi glace)

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    salmon shioyaki bro!

take them salmon fillets, rub it with kosher salt or like a coarse salt. let it sit there for a few minutes. they throw it on a wood fired grill til cooked. grate some daikon radish, lemon, make some calrose rice, and presto!

hey shig you ever had kenny lau (sp?)? phillipine food, not salmon, but usually yellow tail seared in nothing but lime and lemon juice. i had some the other day, quite good. the lime juice cooks it without putting it on the stove!

just realized it's also the same process of a dish in south america too...forget the name cerveche or something.

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    just realized it's also the same process of a dish in south america too...forget the name cerveche or something.

ceviche.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

hey shig you ever had kenny lau (sp?)? phillipine food, not salmon, but usually yellow tail seared in nothing but lime and lemon juice. i had some the other day, quite good. the lime juice cooks it without putting it on the stove!

kinilaw!

vn raw beef slice salad is similar and equally delicious

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

I don't believe you. Prepare some, seal it in an industrial ziplock bag, and mail it to me, or you're soft.

PM me for the address. And please to include an accompanying vintage.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

another idea is to roast it on a bed of young pine or juniper branches. pine and salmon is a great combination. just make a small nest of pine branches in a saute pan and place your salmon on top. then drop in the oven. for those in urban areas just make sure to wash any dog pee off any low lying branches before using.

But nothing else? No oil? Salt and pepper?

And if you're wondering, I have nothing to add here, recipe-wise. I usually go simple and hook mine up with some garlic, lemon, and a splash of pinot grigio, with the obligatory salt and pepper. But I, too, love me some salmon.

All of a sudden, the chinese leftovers I'm about to reheat don't sound as appealing.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    that shit dont need anything....just brush with some Spanish Olive Oil,crushed Roasted Garlic,Grey Sea Salt sear on grill, squirt a Meyer lemon juice on it and eat that shit rare son.