Akon in Trinidad

DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
Anyone see the video? I can hear the Sex & Violence in Rap police starting their engines.In any case. Whats on the video is NAGL IMO. Throwing around an under age girl like a ragdoll who happens to be a preacher daughter in Trinidad...Verizon is pulling anything they have going on with Akon.

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    People are losing their sh*t - the last thing I read, the club has lost its license. Supposedly she insisted she was 18, but they still never checked for ID.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Well, from what I hear, she's singing the tune of how she was pushed up there by Akon's security and that she is really upset by everything. Tho, that could just be because of the video and her pops. But they are saying she came home with tons of bruises. I can see why. He was really tossing her around. I heard the DJ got involved, but the vid I saw doesn't show any of it.

It's really cause shit in Trinidad. Alot of Trini's ain't impressed. A friend of mine said it's all his pop & friends talk about right now.

I'm guessing Akon ain't going back any time soon...

Is it true Akon has three wives? Never heard that before.

shudder - ugly.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Is it true Akon has three wives? Never heard that before.

He likes to claim that he--"like all Africans"--has multiple wives.

Despite the fact that dude was born and raised in the U.S., he's really into playing up this ridiculous African essentialism.

His new song is possibly the worst thing I have ever heard.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    maaan if only this happened in the states, his career would be over!

the video is totally NAGL!!

Kind of like how R. Kelly's career is over?

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

I think it would have zero effect on his career.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    well there ain't gonna be a trial for this cos we know he did it.

I think it would have zero effect on his career.

It is taking a bit of money out of his pocket right now. But I'm sure he'll make it up down the line.

I'm not sure what I found worse. The way he treated the youngin' on stage or how the crowd was into it.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    well there ain't gonna be a trial for this cos we know he did it.

What?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

shit is vile!

would he have done differently if he knew her age?
    would folks feel better at how she was treated if she was 18? 28?

From Trinidad Express
    (Sorry - it won't let me cut and paste the article)

Also:

NEW YORK (Billboard) - Verizon Wireless has abruptly pulled out as the presenting sponsor on Gwen Stefani's current tour due to an incident involving the trek's opening act, Akon.

Last month, during a concert in Trinidad, the R&B singer danced provocatively with a 15-year-old fan. When footage of the onstage dance found its way online, Verizon got cold feet. (Akon's show in Trinidad was unrelated to and not part of Stefani's Sweet Escape tour, which began April 21 in Phoenix.)

In addition to ending its affiliation with the trek, Verizon has also removed Akon ringtones and music from its stores and handsets. The Verizon Wireless V Cast TV spots featuring Akon are also history.

Industry sources put the cash value of a tour sponsorship package like the one between Stefani and Verizon in the $1.5-$2 million range in cash, which artists typically use to finance production, startup costs and other tour expenses.

But marketing value can be worth as much as $1 million or more. Stefani manager Jim Guerinot, of Rebel Waltz, declined to discuss the financial terms, but told Billboard.com that "we're just in the beginning stages of evaluating" the impact of Verizon's move. Regarding the presenting sponsorship, Guerinot says, "We're surprised and shocked they've backed out of it."

As for Akon, Guerinot said, "Akon has been a perfect gentleman on this tour. His show has at best been a PG show. Children of all ages have been attending. We have had no complaints -- nothing but satisfied people. And I would say that we're shocked that Verizon would drop Gwen Stefani as part of this whole debate."

Industry observers say it will be difficult for Stefani and her team to pull another sponsor into the Sweet Escape tour, which has North American dates on the books through June 30 in Las Vegas. To this point, no dates have been cancelled and Akon remains on the tour.

Akon and Verizon spokespeople were unavailable for comment.

Reuters

shit is vile!

Wait, you mean this isn't the way women want to be treated in 2007???

There's a longer vid out there supposedly with the DJ involved and more of the beginning.

I'm sure there are people out there that don't care even that she's 15 let alone if she was 28. I'm betting there are plenty of women out there that wish it was them instead.

• aradpumaaradpuma 83 Posts

I'm sure there are people out there that don't care even that she's 15 let alone if she was 28. I'm betting there are plenty of women out there that wish it was them instead.

ugh, i sure hope not.. i'm sure there's plenty of women who'd jump at the thought of getting humped by akon, but the amount of degradation in that video really sort of nullifies the thrill doesn't it?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    the inappropriateness is almost wholly about her age

Deej is freakin' women of a suitable age at the clurb at least three nights a week!

This is why he's deej!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Yo Carl man, come here, lemme school you to some shit
    Yo what up dud
    Remember that girl you said was nineteen somethin'
    Yeah I remember that shorty
    She was not nineteen
    Word! Yes she is she nineteen

See nowadays man you got to know these bitches age
    Cuz they ass be real fat when they be goin' through that phase
    You fuck a girl that's young, and you gonna end up in the cage
    Cuz her moms ain't tryin' to hear that you never knew her age

• chasechase 767 Posts
    they got a video of R Kelly peeing on a 14 year old, I still hear that fucking perverts songs on the radio everyday..

Pleaze... Give me a break.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

i donno dude ... don't get me wrong i don't think we're talking about models of upstanding behavior and obviously akon's being skeezy as hell but if she was 21 we wouldn't even be having this conversation

not saying its right, but in an 'adult environment' some things are more accepted.

i shd have put 'inappropriateness' in scare quotes

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

i donno dude ... don't get me wrong i don't think we're talking about models of upstanding behavior and obviously akon's being skeezy as hell but if she was 21 we wouldn't even be having this conversation

not saying its right, but in an 'adult environment' some things are more accepted.

WRONG. If the video was on the internet in conjunction with her pressing charges then the convesation would be extremely similar.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

WRONG. If the video was on the internet in conjunction with her pressing charges then the convesation would be extremely similar.

is she pressing charges? i hadn't heard that. What is the crime? Harassment?

She shouldn't have been in the club in the first place

I'm sure you would think that if it was your daughter, be her 15 or 32. Age shouldn't have anything to do with it. Akon's concerts are adult shows only?

The article from the Trinidad Express.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article?id=161129187

International superstar Akon lived up to his name as he conned seven ladies into dancing onstage during his performance on Thursday night at the Zen nightclub in Port of Spain.

The star from Senegal managed to convince the ladies, who made their way onstage, that they were taking part in a global contest and that they could earn a fabulous grand prize trip to Africa if they won.

The competition was then filmed by Akon's crew and later revealed to be a mere sham for the entertainment of the audience present, and an even greater potential global audience, as he promised to upload the footage onto the popular Internet video website www.youtube.com.

After performing his string of hit singles, including "Ghetto", "Locked Up", "Soul Survivor" and "I Wanna Love You", Akon requested and secured seven volunteers "to represent Trinidad" in the contest. He claimed that he had done this "everywhere he went", and that "Africa was currently ranked number one", with "Atlanta" and "London" coming in second and third, respectively.

He said: "We've never done this in the Caribbean before, but my DJ assures me that Trinidad has the best winers. Is that true? Well, y'all gotta represent here. Come on up now. Don't be scared."

The star then assured the audience that the local winner would compete in the finals against "Africa". As the contest began, each lady tried to out-wine the other to the sounds of Akon's recent collaboration, "Smack That", which features hip-hop star Eminem.

The crowd roared their approval of the eventual winner, who was then taken two short steps "to Africa" by Akon and promised that she could name her prize herself, if she defeated the best of Africa: none other than Akon himself.

Later on, Akon would have his way with the petite young lady: turning, twisting and even flipping her body, while mimicking sexual positions and acts all over the stage for three consecutive rounds.

His DJ, Virgin Islands native Benny D, even joined in during the second round and together they sandwiched the young lady on the floor of the stage. In the end, Akon declared himself the winner, even though the crowd adjudged that his female volunteer had won the contest.

A prolonged chant from the audience for a soca selection to settle the dispute went unheeded, although the singer did perform a soca-esque version of his latest single.

The African phenomenon, whose latest single, "Don't Matter", is currently ranked number one on the Billboard World Singles Chart, thrilled the capacity audience for just over 40 minutes, but left many patrons disappointed and wanting more of the star from Senegal.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    When are kids parents in the US going to start going crazy about this dude? I mean the guy has a song whose hook is "I wanna fuck you" that is all the rage with middle school girls, and then this shit happens in Trinidad. But because it doesn't "sound" aggressive and fit into the "dangerous rap music" mold they all seem to be fine with him.

I am absolutley sick of this dude.

What is the crime? Harassment?

Umm, assault maybe.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Akon's concerts are adult shows only?
    it was a 18+ club she had gotten into.

yeah that article makes the whole situation sound pretty gross. i'm curious what the charges would be if someone over 21 or 18 or whatever had been victimized here? assault?

in that case i'm surprised no one else has filed. hasn't he been doing this at more than one concert?

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    I don't know guys, I think its a little paternalistic and patronizing to say that if she was an adult it would be the same thing. Yes she choose to act a little wild, and yes, he went way way overboard. But she and him can choose to act how ever they want to, assuming they're both of an age where they are considered legally responsible. Obviously, she was not. I gotta say, that video is disgusting and degrading to women, but she didnt seem to be struggling to get away, and I'd be surprised if there was a case beyond indecency if that video was evidence, again assuming she was legal. Do people really think this would be the same if she was 32? Dor, when you play at an 18+ venue, your shows are adult only.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    This is totally vile and just one more reason to hate Akon.

The club, the bouncers, Akon, his crew... all deserve to get the worst punishment available from this.

BUT

If you are a woman of any age and a guy at a concert tells you to go onstage to show your dancing capability and you seriously think you are going to compete against another country/state in the "finals" and are going to win "a prize" then you are very, very dumb. Of course, even dumb as a doorknob women do not deserve to be assaulted. Just saying though.

Dor, when you play at an 18+ venue, your shows are adult only.

Well, the fact that he was pushing this as a contest. Even if it was real, you'd probably have to be 18+ to win it. In any case, there is a difference between having a gurl come up on stage and dance as a stripper, than say throwing her around like a sex blow up doll. I'm 99% sure he didn't ask her if he could slam her around like that. While this does have alot to do with her age, it doesn't matter if your 15 or 28... You don't have the right to throw someone around like that. I'd like to see anyone go into a 18+ club and just grab any women you'd like and do the same thing. Just because the person is of age, still doesn't fly...