Gringo-strut (5/5R)

DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
I live in East Boston, a mostly first- and second-generation South and Central American neighborhood. I'm used to hearing "policia" and getting carded for tobacco, even though I'm quite obviously 28. I'm a white guy, as seen here:But lately, I think as a result of the May 1 immigrant rally and Cinco de Mayo, I've heard all kinds of folk mentioning the term "gringo" as I walked by on my way to or from home. My question is, to those South and Central American folk on the board: Is there any additional connotation to the term "gringo" besides "white guy"? In other words, should I be worried that local sentiment is turning against me?

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    It's a compliment.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    For us in Brazil, gringo is anyone that comes from USA.

Peace

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    For us in Brazil, gringo is anyone that comes from USA.

Peace

That's what I thought. It could be simply a matter of people talking about US immigration policy or, well, there are all sorts of reasons that a recent immigrant might refer to a prior resident in their original language, and recent events are stimulating discussion of immigrant rights issues.

I only worry because MS-13 has become the predominant gang in my neighborhood, and they are no joke. They're fairly quiet, and most violence doesn't involve "civilians", but one guy was shot in the chest and another chopped several times in the skull with a machete about a block and a half from my apartment recently, and that got my attention.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Word History: In Latin America the word gringo is an offensive term for a foreigner, particularly an American or English person. But the word existed in Spanish before this particular sense came into being. In fact, gringo may be an alteration of the word griego, the Spanish development of Latin Graecus, "Greek." Griego first meant "Greek, Grecian," as an adjective and "Greek, Greek language," as a noun. The saying "It's Greek to me" exists in Spanish, as it does in English, and helps us understand why griego came to mean "unintelligible language" and perhaps, by further extension of this idea, "stranger, that is, one who speaks a foreign language." The altered form gringo lost touch with Greek but has the senses "unintelligible language," "foreigner, especially an English person," and in Latin America, "North American or Britisher." Its first recorded English use (1849) is in John Woodhouse Audubon's Western Journal: "We were hooted and shouted at as we passed through, and called 'Gringoes.'"

, gringos

In Latin America the word gringo is an offensive term[/b] for a foreigner, particularly an American or English person.

That's what I'm wondering about. I love my neighborhood. But I don't know if it loves me back.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    just start rocking these shirts and you'll be all good

maybe get one of these just to be safe

• puchitopuchito 374 Posts
    Word History: In Latin America the word gringo is an offensive term for a foreigner, particularly an American or English person. But the word existed in Spanish before this particular sense came into being. In fact, gringo may be an alteration of the word griego, the Spanish development of Latin Graecus, "Greek." Griego first meant "Greek, Grecian," as an adjective and "Greek, Greek language," as a noun. The saying "It's Greek to me" exists in Spanish, as it does in English, and helps us understand why griego came to mean "unintelligible language" and perhaps, by further extension of this idea, "stranger, that is, one who speaks a foreign language." The altered form gringo lost touch with Greek but has the senses "unintelligible language," "foreigner, especially an English person," and in Latin America, "North American or Britisher." Its first recorded English use (1849) is in John Woodhouse Audubon's Western Journal: "We were hooted and shouted at as we passed through, and called 'Gringoes.'"

, gringos

I thought Gringo was a reference to US Soldiers wearing green coats.....Spanish speakin' soldiers were really just saying Green Coats with a heavy spanish accents.

Sort of like saying "Jankees" instead of "Yankees" i.e...."Where did you learn to speak english Tony?" ..........."My father was a jankee"

But that is just what I heard on the streets, so don't use me as a source in your thesis or any shit like that.

The Virgin of Guadalupe is quite popular around here, as far as t-shirt themes go.

The real crazy shit is the car culture. I took a bunch of photos a while back of local cars with interesting decals/adornments. I should put them together and show y'all. Some of them are awesome, and some are hilarious. There's one of an older Toyota Corolla that had gotten pretty cracked up, and the owner put a sticker on the top of the windshield that said "C'Rolla". C-Rolla, y'all. I was always told you can't polish a turd, but what do I know?

• puchitopuchito 374 Posts
    I live in East Boston, a mostly first- and second-generation South and Central American neighborhood. I'm used to hearing "policia" and getting carded for tobacco, even though I'm quite obviously 28. I'm a white guy, as seen here:

But lately, I think as a result of the May 1 immigrant rally and Cinco de Mayo, I've heard all kinds of folk mentioning the term "gringo" as I walked by on my way to or from home.

My question is, to those South and Central American folk on the board: Is there any additional connotation to the term "gringo" besides "white guy"? In other words, should I be worried that local sentiment is turning against me?

If you feel tension, or feel alienated by your skin a great way to "Break The Ice" is to use the term "Darkies" in your dealings with them. Refer to them and their friends as "Darkies". For instance "What it be Darkies? or "I am down wit you Darkies and your struggle" And don't be afraid to pull a knife in situations were you feel threatened, this will demonstrate that, yes you are white, but you are "Crazy Loco" and mean business.

I really don't see what the fuss is all about.

If you feel tension, or feel alienated by your skin a great way to "Break The Ice" is to use the term "Darkies" in your dealings with them. Refer to them and their friends as "Darkies". For instance "What it be Darkies? or "I am down wit you Darkies and your struggle" And don't be afraid to pull a knife in situations were you feel threatened, this will demonstrate that, yes you are white, but you are "Crazy Loco" and mean business.

I'm sure that'll go over well. In related news, keep you eye out for my next thread, "Why Did A Random Crowd of People Beat My Ass On The Way to Work?"

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

, gringos

What, Spanish speakers couldn't pronounce "griego"?

I've always liked this version better:
    http://www.snopes.com/language/stories/gringo.htm

Too bad it's allegedly false.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Don't recall being called a gringo but I almost knocked someone out for calling me a pocho.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

, and don't forget that by definition these people are stupid, so you could also wear a Spiderman costume on a weekend and casually take off your mask when they can see you. MAD RESPECT WILL BE GAINED.

• reskresk 391 Posts
    gringo = american,

even when i go back to ecuador, where i was raised as a shorty, they call me gringo. doesnt necessarily refer to race. My lady is black, and they refer to her as gringa.

gringo = american,

even when i go back to ecuador, where i was raised as a shorty, they call me gringo. doesnt necessarily refer to race. My lady is black, and they refer to her as gringa.

This is somewhat comforting. But does that mean that my neighbors and I are all gringos now? Perhaps they were discussing their own recently-acquired gringo status.

Probably not, though.

• reskresk 391 Posts
    its all subjective i guess (not sure if subjective is the right word here).

like in the us, a latino may refer to a non-latino as gringo.

but in a latin american country, a latin american living latino may refer to a US living latino as gringo.

its more like referring someone as being "americanized" if that makes any sense.

its all subjective i guess (not sure if subjective is the right word here).

like in the us, a latino may refer to a non-latino as gringo.

but in a latin american country, a latin american living latino may refer to a US living latino as gringo.

its more like referring someone as being "americanized" if that makes any sense.

Sure, that makes sense. To tie this in with the Camus thread, it's all relative. The term "gringo" means different things in different contexts.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    That's nothing, I live in a predominantly black neighborhood (if there is such a thing in Denver) and live around the corner from some Latino east side gang bangers who have recently been threatening me saying I better get the fuck out of their neighborhood and that I better be strapped and this and that only because I'm white and walked down the street that their balcony is on. The other day, one of them even came running out of the house to follow me to see where I live yelling "Sup Foo??!" at me as I make my way to my front gate. I've never done or said anything to these dudes, and they're basically wanting to fuck me up for being white. It's not even a Latino hood. It sucks. Getting called gringo is, in my experience, somewhat endearing. Asking if you're lost white boy and being told to get the fuck out of our neighborhood, now that is hostility. Now every day I leave my house I gotta watch out for these fucks.

Wow. That certainly puts things in perspective. Be careful out there, man.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    if you're worried about it, learn how to speak spanish. interact with folks and put your name in your mouth, so they know what to call you, in place of gringo.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    guero culero

if you're worried about it, learn how to speak spanish. interact with folks and put your name in your mouth, so they know what to call you, in place of gringo.

Huh. Well, if I were to be living in Eastie for the rest of my life, this might be good advice, but I'll be moving closer to work soon, so learning a different language and befriending 100,000 of my neighbors isn't necessarily a viable option.