Republican Debate last night (NAGL related)

Comments

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    People like Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly and Ann Coulter absolutely do NOT[/b] alienate people away from the Republican Party

The reason being that they are NOT[/b] prominent members of the Party, nor is anyone stupid enough to associate them with the Right or the Republican Party itself.

Middle of the road 'swing" voters are NOT[/b] turned off by these morons, and NOT[/b] a single potential Republican vote has been effected by their rhetoric.

Thank You Very Much.

WRONG. Their constant association with the the "GOP" has definately had an effect on people's interest in being labelled Republican. WHY do you think that the GOP courts the most stringent and conservative christians? They have to make up for losing moderates somehow and can't count on the undecided.

Thank you very much.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    People like Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly and Ann Coulter absolutely do NOT[/b] alienate people away from the Republican Party

The reason being that they are NOT[/b] prominent members of the Party, nor is anyone stupid enough to associate them with the Right or the Republican Party itself.

Middle of the road 'swing" voters are NOT[/b] turned off by these morons, and NOT[/b] a single potential Republican vote has been effected by their rhetoric.

Thank You Very Much.

WRONG. Their constant association with the the "GOP" has definately had an effect on people's interest in being labelled Republican. WHY do you think that the GOP courts the most stringent and conservative christians? They have to make up for losing moderates somehow and can't count on the undecided.

Thank you very much.

Of course it's wrong.

Just like it's wrong to say that Bill Maher, Al Franken, Rosie and Alan Combs don't do the same exact thing on the opposite side of the spectrum.

Thank You for proving the point I've been trying to get across here for the last 48 hours.

• Haha!

I was wondering if anyone would stumble into that.

I still don't think, though, Rich, that these people inform their entire vote on fringe personalities or that these voters constitute a significant chunk of voters -- enough to sway elections, just to be redundant.

Haha!

I was wondering if anyone would stumble into that.

I still don't think, though, Rich, that these people inform their entire vote on fringe personalities

I absolutely agree.......but the fact that 10 times more viewers watch Access Hollywood than Firing Line has to prove some degree of people's lack of interest in politics and attraction to fluff.

If you don't believe our society is more interested in the cult of personality than politics how can you explain away 33.6 Million folks watching American Idol vs. less than 2 Million watching either Political debate??

I listed five issues I thought the Dems needed to address to win in '08.

If each one was as insignificant as to only effect 1/2% of the vote, it would give them a swing of 5% which would assure victory.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I absolutely agree.......but the fact that 10 times more viewers watch Access Hollywood than Firing Line has to prove some degree of people's lack of interest in politics and attraction to fluff.

If you don't believe our society is more interested in the cult of personality than politics how can you explain away 33.6 Million folks watching American Idol vs. less than 2 Million watching either Political debate??

I think you keep missing a point you are making.

What percentage of VOTERS[/b] watch firing line? What percentage of VOTERS[/b] watch Access Hollywood?

More to the point what precentage of viewers of Firing Line vote? What percentage of Access Hollywood vote?

How many people turn to Access Hollywood when trying to decide who to vote for? How many people turn to political debates?

Millions of American watch American Idol and don't vote. Since they don't vote they are not important to this debate are they?

What percentage of VOTERS[/b] watch firing line? What percentage of VOTERS[/b] watch Access Hollywood?

More to the point what precentage of viewers of Firing Line vote? What percentage of Access Hollywood vote?

How many people turn to Access Hollywood when trying to decide who to vote for? How many people turn to political debates?

Millions of American watch American Idol and don't vote. Since they don't vote they are not important to this debate are they?
    According to my source 122 million people voted in 2004.....Less than 4 million people combined watched both recent debates.

You do the math.

According to my source 122 million people voted in 2004.....Less than 4 million people combined watched both recent debates.

You do the math.
    Do you know how presidential primaries are done in this country?

Poorly??

How ridiculous is it to really think that 33 million American Idol viewers don't vote.....seriously.

Poorly??

Perhaps you would be happier in France?

Poorly??

as in.... "Love It Or Leave It"........cool

Poorly??

As in you make stupid arguments. When it is pointed out you make asshole responses to those who point out the flaws in your argurment. Sorry I attempted to engage you in a discussion. I've been avoiding it and will go back to avoiding.

Poorly??

As in you make stupid arguments. When it is pointed out you make asshole responses to those who point out the flaws in your argurment. Sorry I attempted to engage you in a discussion. I've been avoiding it and will go back to avoiding.

I hear ya......

I regret all of the following asshole responses....

"Millions of American watch American Idol and don't vote"

"Perhaps you would be happier in France?"

"Do you know how presidential primaries are done in this country?"

Goodnight.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Rock,

I don't discount the role that popular culture can play in swaying an electorate but I fail to understand what the direction of your argument is. Are you still trying to convince people that Rosie matters?

Just to put this out there: I wonder what would happen in Oprah decided to publicly back Obama.

B>EDIT/B>: late pass for me

Rock,

I don't discount the role that popular culture can play in swaying an electorate but I fail to understand what the direction of your argument is. Are you still trying to convince people that Rosie matters?

Just to put this out there: I wonder what would happen in Oprah decided to publicly back Obama.

B>EDIT/B>: late pass for me

O,
    Does Oprah matter??? I say yes.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts

O,
    Does Oprah matter??? I say yes.

She probably has more sway over consumers in the US than any single other individual. I don't know about politics though.

Side note:

Anyone been watching the ABC/yahoo/Ron Paul controversy?

Rock,

Odub,
    The original post that I seem to have been defending ever since I posted it was...

"1) Each party is represented in a very cut and dry Left/Right division. The people that our media focus on as supposed representitives of each side are the very far left/far right nuts that give them the best soundbites. The Right has windbags like Rush, O'Reilly and other Talk Radio morons while the Left has mock spokespeople like Rosie O'Donnell and the Hollyweird crowd. That middle America swing vote finds it alot easier to hate an idiot who's visual and on primetime "Entertainment/News" TV every night rather than just some talking head who's voice comes out of their radio. These outspoken "celebs" on the Left do more harm to their cause than good but they really don't care because it's all about "them[/b] ".

I think it's fair to say that if Oprah backs a candidate she can have a major impact by attracting voters based on her following and reputation.

The reason I picked Rosie as an example is that she has had more media coverage than any other human being thus far in '07 and may be one of the most polarizing figures in our fluff media society. I don't read tabloids or watch her on TV yet I have heard quotes attributed to her like...

"Don't fear Terrorists, they are Mothers and Fathers too"
    (Umm....yeah Rosie, except for the fact that they are FUCKING TERRORISTS!)

"Christianity is more dangerous than Radical Islam"

"I hope the Catholic Church gets sued into oblivion"

"How many of the Supreme Court judges are Catholic, five are Catholic. What happened to separation of church and state."
    (Yeah, no elected or appointed official should be religious)

And then this blabbering idiot uses her TV pulpit to support Hillary Clinton, do you really think it won't do more harm to the cause than good??

And if she is indeed NOT alienating folks away from the Dems, and like Oprah is actually attracting them, what does THAT say about the average voter?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Rock,

If Left-y celebs are doing so much harm to the cause, how do you explain the midterm elections of 2006?

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

Thank You Very Much.

Thank you very much.

Of course it's wrong.

Just like it's wrong to say that Bill Maher, Al Franken, Rosie and Alan Combs don't do the same exact thing on the opposite side of the spectrum.

Thank You for proving the point I've been trying to get across here for the last 48 hours.

Nobody ever disagreeed that the media and people in the media don't have some kind of effect. You just give them too much credit in controlling the population's voting decisions as a whole. Do Bill Maher, Al franken and the likes shun people away from the "left", yes because like Limbaugh and O'reilly they all just provide talking points in their 10-30 minutes here or there where they can bring up topics and MAYBE jumpstart an issue here or there. You have this tendency to want to pigeon hole the voting population into these neat little categories based on what these mouthpieces on TV say and I think thats where your argument is flawed. People flip flop all the time and its based not only their background, but their current social standing, their comfort level etc. etc. etc. And over the last 8 years I can tell you that the comfort level of ALOT of americans is not nearly what it was when Bush came into office... add to that the fact that the Republicans can't lean on the War on Terrorism/Iraq anymore and you have asituation where alot of flip flopping is happening by the maerican voting public at large.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Rock,

Odub,
    The original post that I seem to have been defending ever since I posted it was...

"1) Each party is represented in a very cut and dry Left/Right division. The people that our media focus on as supposed representitives of each side are the very far left/far right nuts that give them the best soundbites. The Right has windbags like Rush, O'Reilly and other Talk Radio morons while the Left has mock spokespeople like Rosie O'Donnell and the Hollyweird crowd. That middle America swing vote finds it alot easier to hate an idiot who's visual and on primetime "Entertainment/News" TV every night rather than just some talking head who's voice comes out of their radio. These outspoken "celebs" on the Left do more harm to their cause than good but they really don't care because it's all about "them[/b] ".

I think it's fair to say that if Oprah backs a candidate she can have a major impact by attracting voters based on her following and reputation.

The reason I picked Rosie as an example is that she has had more media coverage than any other human being thus far in '07 and may be one of the most polarizing figures in our fluff media society. I don't read tabloids or watch her on TV yet I have heard quotes attributed to her like...

"Don't fear Terrorists, they are Mothers and Fathers too"
    (Umm....yeah Rosie, except for the fact that they are FUCKING TERRORISTS!)

"Christianity is more dangerous than Radical Islam"

"I hope the Catholic Church gets sued into oblivion"

"How many of the Supreme Court judges are Catholic, five are Catholic. What happened to separation of church and state."
    (Yeah, no elected or appointed official should be religious)

And then this blabbering idiot uses her TV pulpit to support Hillary Clinton, do you really think it won't do more harm to the cause than good??

Rich, I challenge you to go 24 hours wihtout making a Rosie O'Donnell post.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Persuasion is more easily done with facts, right?

Sure....but it's pretty hard to present facts about an event that will happen 15 months from now.

I simply said this is what I think the Dems need to do and here are the reasons why I think it.

When I post that I think that a high profile, often quoted celebrity or Billionaire have influence over the lesser nuanced voter based on their quotes and claims of political affiliation.....it's pretty hard to produce "facts" to that effect when for the most part, no voter who WAS influenced by these idiots would ever actually admit it.

Rockadelic defeated by a conspiracy of silence!

When you can present me a dumb ass, that actually admits they're a dumb ass I'll concede defeat.

No sarcasm whatsoever....(I thought for sure you'd go for my "Educate my dumbass" comment...............you're slipping)

My final word on the topic....(probably)......(maybe)......(I doubt it).....

People like Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly and Ann Coulter absolutely do NOT[/b] alienate me[/b] away from the Republican Party

The reason being that they are prominent members of the Party, but I am [/b]stupid enough NOT[/b] to associate them with the Right or the Republican Party itself.

I[/b] am NOT[/b] turned off by these morons, and my [/b]potential Republican vote has been NOT[/b] been effected by their rhetoric.

Thank You Very Much.

Rich, I challenge you to go 24 hours wihtout making a Rosie O'Donnell post.

I'll see your bet and raise you one....

I'll never mention that person again if you never type the phrase "You sound white" again.

Deal??

Rock,

If Left-y celebs are doing so much harm to the cause, how do you explain the midterm elections of 2006?

Presedential elections have always brought out the larger crowd and more "casual" voter.

If the Republicans do manage to win in '08, and that is always a possibility, I look forward to reading the Strut's take as to why it happened.

In the meantime I am hoping that Obama can gather some steam and breath some fresh air into country that needs compromise and change vs. alienation and a widening of the political gap.

And to anyone who is confident beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Dem's are a lock I'd suggest you tap on the brakes a little.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

Anyone been watching the ABC/yahoo/Ron Paul controversy?

What a bunch of crap. Ron Paul still isn't shown on Yahoo's list of candidates.
    Users are getting banned for asking about it and comments are being deleted - http://bartschs.blogspot.com/2007/05/ya-who.html
    Are they afraid of Ron Paul or do they just not think he is a real contender? The polls are showing that Ron Paul dominated the debates, but that is likely due to Digg.com.

http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/may2007/090507totalvictory.htm

I guess Faux is still deciding whether to cover our bet so I guess I'm free to use the Rosie word one more time.

Fucking amazing!!!!!

This is from today's article by Camille Paglia whom has been dubbed "One of the Top 100 Intellectuals in the World" and is a staunch Democrat.

Send this bitch a contrarian email Faux!!!

What a crass solipsist, clod and yahoo Rosie O'Donnell is -- and what a bad advertisement for both liberalism[/b] and lesbianism. I thoroughly enjoyed Donald Trump putting the shiv to her with his eye-opening insults of withering accuracy. The list of O'Donnell's faults overfloweth -- beginning with her stentorian humorlessness and her infantile rudeness to her cohosts and ending with her crackpot conspiracy theories and her constant flaunting of her banal regimen of antidepressants.

I guess Faux is still deciding whether to cover our bet so I guess I'm free to use the Rosie word one more time.

I think you've got me confused with some of your other antagonists--I don't believe I've ever accused you of sounding white to begin with, so it's not much for me to commit to giving it up.

This is from today's article by Camille Paglia whom has been dubbed "One of the Top 100 Intellectuals in the World" and is a staunch Democrat.

Do you type this stuff with a straight face? Paglia's just another blowhard--she's on about the same level as Rosie O'Donnell.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Do you type this stuff with a straight face? Paglia's just another blowhard--she's on about the same level as Rosie O'Donnell.

But she uses such an extensive vocabulary, she must be right!

Seriously, though - I see folks using the Word "thesaurus" option too often around my office, and it makes me sad. At least Paglia uses her 10-dollar words correctly.

Seriously, though - I see folks using the Word "thesaurus" option too often around my office, and it makes me sad. At least Paglia uses her 10-dollar words correctly.

You don't get to be one of the world's top 100 intellectuals by abusing your 10 dollar words.

You don't get to be one of the world's top 100 intellectuals by abusing your 10 dollar words.

From UK's Prospect Magazine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_2005_Global_Intellectuals_Poll

Let us know who you approve of and who doesn't belong on the list.....I know that Chomsky guy is a mental midget.

I think you've got me confused with some of your other antagonists--I don't believe I've ever accused you of sounding white to begin with, so it's not much for me to commit to giving it up.

I've never accused you of looking like Rosie O'Donnell either.....you are just apparently as sick of seeing me type her name as I am seeing you throw around the snarky "You sound white"......sound's like a fair challenge to me.