Hell's | Kitchen

Comments

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    Please Rupert Murdoch, send more Brits over to America to talk down on us ASAP. It appeals directly to our self-hating tendencies. If only we could get spanked to boot...

• mistercmisterc 329 Posts
    I agree, so far this show is COMEDY!!!! Fox intentionally rounded up a bunch of contestants that have NO IDEA how to cook or run a kitchen. This way that Gordon Ramsey dude can be PISSED OFF all the time and flip out = LOTS of drama! Where did they find these people? Have ANY of the contestants had any formal training? Are any of them chefs? Did any of them attend the C.I.A. or Cordon Blue? From what I've seen so far, Wifey and I could cook circles around these fools.

One dude is a head chef and I think some of those folls are actualy cooks.

I've spent a long time as line cook in these type of joints and let me say the people who have gone to CIA/J&W, etc are usually the biggest clowns in the kitchen and least qualified to run one. We call em "schoolkids" They usually show up the first day in some nice white expensive gear w/ pens and pencils bright eyed, bushy tailed and cocky as hell. Basically the treatment Ramsey is giving these folls goes on everyday all over the world except a lot worse. Some 40 year old vato line cook with a half a hand whose a 25 year vet of the service industry gets a hold of these guys and usually works/burns em till they wash out or lose their baggage. The chef usually comes around once a night to thro the onion their cutting in the garbage and say "do it again."

Honestly, anyone can go to culinary school. It's mostly kids who didn't go to college. It's a two year degree and the first year is spent on knife safety and how to cook an egg. Most people that succeed in the business work their way up from peeling shrimp and if they get to the big time (Paris, Tokyo, NY) they go to school. Kitchen's are loud, hot, and full of assholes which school can't prepare for.

My money's on the person w/ the least formal training.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

I've spent a long time as line cook in these type of joints and let me say the people who have gone to CIA/J&W, etc are usually the biggest clowns in the kitchen and least qualified to run one. We call em "schoolkids" They usually show up the first day in some nice white expensive gear w/ pens and pencils bright eyed, bushy tailed and cocky as hell. Basically the treatment Ramsey is giving these folls goes on everyday all over the world except a lot worse. Some 40 year old vato line cook with a half a hand whose a 25 year vet of the service industry gets a hold of these guys and usually works/burns em till they wash out or lose their baggage. The chef usually comes around once a night to thro the onion their cutting in the garbage and say "do it again."

Honestly, anyone can go to culinary school. It's mostly kids who didn't go to college. It's a two year degree and the first year is spent on knife safety and how to cook an egg. Most people that succeed in the business work their way up from peeling shrimp and if they get to the big time (Paris, Tokyo, NY) they go to school. Kitchen's are loud, hot, and full of assholes which school can't prepare for.

My money's on the person w/ the least formal training.

Chef school is definitely all about what you put into it. It is absolutely true that anyone who can qualify for a student loan can attend a cooking school, though. I'm at the CIA and I have mixed feelings about it, but I can't say that I have any regrets.

One thing that I will put out there on the off-chance that a SoulStrut reader may be considering chef school: Don't begin in September when all the kids who are fresh out of high school begin, or else you will be in a class full of douchebags.

I began in April '04 and my class pretty much consists of solid, competent people who have had real-world cooking experience. I can't understand these students who feel like a culinary degree entitles them to any respect. Hearing that makes me cringe because it gives us all a bad name. I have ultimate respect for a good line cook.

My money's on the person who keeps his mouth shut and listens.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Chef school is definitely all about what you put into it. It is absolutely true that anyone who can qualify for a student loan can attend a cooking school, though. I'm at the CIA and I have mixed feelings about it, but I can't say that I have any regrets.

One thing that I will put out there on the off-chance that a SoulStrut reader may be considering chef school: Don't begin in September when all the kids who are fresh out of high school begin, or else you will be in a class full of douchebags.

I began in April '04 and my class pretty much consists of solid, competent people who have had real-world cooking experience. I can't understand these students who feel like a culinary degree entitles them to any respect. Hearing that makes me cringe because it gives us all a bad name. I have ultimate respect for a good line cook.

My money's on the person who keeps his mouth shut and listens.

Hyde Park holla! The CIA is a VERY good school. Enjoy your time there. Well said, I agree with everything above in your post.

• mistercmisterc 329 Posts
    Obviously all these comments are on a individual basis. Unfortunately the majority of grads from these places fall into the category I've described. That's not to say I haven't worked with and for some solid, badass grads from the CIA. I was just trying to say that a cul degree is not what these jokers need to have success w/ arguably the best chef in London. It's just like any other degree. It's a peice of paper, the person behind it does or doesn't do something w/ it. 9/10 places I'd apply for a job will pay me more than a cul school grad based on resume alone. I could never go get a chef job at the Hilton w/o a degree though.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    okay, dropping some real knowledge here about cooking you guys..thx

Care to share a quick, favorite receipe for all of us wannabe cooks?

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts

MAGIC COOKIE BARS

1/2 c. butter

1 1/2 c. graham cracker crumbs (about 24 squares)

1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk

1 (1/2 oz.) your favorite chronic(suggest coffee grinder chopped fine, + you get keefe off the side )

1 (6 oz.) pkg. semi-sweet chocolate chips

1 (3 1/2 oz.) can flaked coconut

1 c. chopped nuts (walnuts are best)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In 9x13 inch baking pan, melt butter & saute the urb for hours if possible & then pour in baking pan. Sprinkle crumbs over butter; pour condensed milk evenly over crumbs. Top evenly with remaining ingredients. Press down firmly. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Cool in pan on wire rack. Cut into 2 x 1 1/2 inch squares. Makes 3 dozen.

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts

MAGIC COOKIE BARS

1/2 c. butter
    1 1/2 c. graham cracker crumbs (about 24 squares)
    1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
    1 (1/2 oz.) your favorite chronic
    1 (6 oz.) pkg. semi-sweet chocolate chips
    1 (3 1/2 oz.) can flaked coconut
    1 c. chopped nuts (walnuts are best)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In 9x13 inch baking pan, melt butter & saute the urb for hours if possible & then pour in baking pan. Sprinkle crumbs over butter; pour condensed milk evenly over crumbs. Top evenly with remaining ingredients. Press down firmly. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Cool in pan on wire rack. Cut into 2 x 1 1/2 inch squares. Makes 3 dozen.

A half an ounce?

That's a lot, no?

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    mb for some an 1/8th is fine, but go big!

• Diamante_DDiamante_D 215 Posts
    Please Rupert Murdoch, send more Brits over to America to talk down on us ASAP. It appeals directly to our self-hating tendencies. If only we could get spanked to boot...

Hey dude, I was just thinking about this the other day. The US only seems to respond well to this type of Brit - you know the brash cuntish type (think Ann Robinson, Gordo, Simon Cowell etc). You might have a point with the self-loathing thing there. Quick poll:

FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/dopoll.php">INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1118916071Diamante_D">

What's your favourite type of import TV Brit?[/b]
    The Brash & Cuntish (see above)
    The Dithering Toff (think Prince Charles/Hugh Grant)
    The 'Mockney' Geezer (think Madges husbo Guy Richie/Dick Van Dyke)
    Posh Totty (think Liz Hurley)
    INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons">

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

For me, favorite recipes are like favorite records... I can't really choose one. I will say that no one should ever buy spaghetti sauce in a jar. For one thing, most of them are piss poor tasting, and most of them are heavily sweetened with corn syrup, which is just wrong. Not to mention those meat sauces that are in a jar... they must be irradiated to be able sit there on the store shelf for weeks on end at room temp. No thanks. Spaghetti is universally loved and is kid-friendly, so making a good tomato sauce is a proper place to begin.

SIMPLE SPAGHETTI SAUCE YOU CAN FEEL GOOD ABOUT EATING:

Dice one whole Vidalia (sweet) ONION. Hold aside. Mince 4 or 5 cloves of GARLIC (or more, if you're into garlic). Hold aside.

Put a splash of OLIVE OIL in a large pot and bring it up to heat. Add the onions, along with a good bit of SALT & PEPPER, and saute until they go translucent. Add the garlic and stir until you get that garlic aroma, which isn't long. Before the garlic has a chance to burn, add a cup of WINE (save the rest for dinner or whatever).

Let the wine practically boil dry, then add a big can of LOW SODIUM CHICKEN BROTH, and let it boil down to nearly nothing. Add two cans of WHOLE TOMATOES (even better if you can get canned Italian tomatoes from the San Marzano region -- check an Italian deli or a fancy supermarket). If you're using any dry Italian seasonings, add them along with the tomatoes. While the sauce simmers down to a proper sauce consistency, smash the whole tomatoes with a potato masher or a whisk.

While the sauce continues to reduce at a simmer, brown some GROUND BEEF in another pan with SALT & PEPPER, drain the fat well, and add the meat to the sauce. If you're using fresh herbs (there's nothing like fresh BASIL), mince them and add them just a couple minutes before serving, or use them to garnish the plated dish, which looks even more impressive.

Taste the sauce to make sure it has enough salt. If the canned tomatoes were too tart for your tastes, you can cut the acidity with sugar.

• THRIFTDIGTHRIFTDIG 36 Posts
    A great book called "Kitchen Confidential- Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly" by Anthony Bourdain, is an enlightening and rather funny look at the real goings on in Americas high end kitchens. He's as hard-ass, and talented as Ramsey. One of my fave quotes to a lazy line cook "Next time you slip in enidible trash out to my waiters like that, me and Carlos (Sous-chef) are gonna punch two holes in your neck and bump dicks in the middle!!!"

• A great book called "Kitchen Confidential- Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly" by Anthony Bourdain, is an enlightening and rather funny look at the real goings on in Americas high end kitchens. He's as hard-ass, and talented as Ramsey. One of my fave quotes to a lazy line cook "Next time you slip in enidible trash out to my waiters like that, me and Carlos (Sous-chef) are gonna punch two holes in your neck and bump dicks in the middle!!!"

I just read that book, and then the follow-up 'A Cook's Tour'. In 'A Cook's Tour' he talks about Ramsey, saying that despite the tough exterior, the man inspires fierce loyalty (heleft a restaurant and the entire staff of 45 walked with him).

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

This gif has flavor...

Man, it's all about food shows now init? Most of the time they just make me hungry... Even if I just ate.. So I dun watch them very much now.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

I just read that book, and then the follow-up 'A Cook's Tour'. In 'A Cook's Tour' he talks about Ramsey, saying that despite the tough exterior, the man inspires fierce loyalty (heleft a restaurant and the entire staff of 45 walked with him).

cooks tour is complete baddassery from the word go.

goin to morrocco to cook goat with the nomads i nthe desert... high as fuck on hash...

sweet

ramsey is the shit too...

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1118916071Diamante_D">

What's your favourite type of import TV Brit?[/b]
    The Brash & Cuntish (see above)
    The Dithering Toff (think Prince Charles/Hugh Grant)
    The 'Mockney' Geezer (think Madges husbo Guy Richie/Dick Van Dyke)

your forgetting the ever popular head mistress type - see Supernanny for example

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    anyone watching that "beauty and the geeks" show? its pretty entertaining. and its refreshing to have a reality tv show where folks arent at each other's throats. i mean, those folks are very patient with each other. and thats attractive, never mind that theyre beer models and shit.

• anyone watching that "beauty and the geeks" show? its pretty entertaining. and its refreshing to have a reality tv show where folks arent at each other's throats. i mean, those folks are very patient with each other. and thats attractive, never mind that theyre beer models and shit.

Yeah. The wife and I have been digging this too. I feel really bad for a couple of those guys though...

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    anyone watching that "beauty and the geeks" show? its pretty entertaining. and its refreshing to have a reality tv show where folks arent at each other's throats. i mean, those folks are very patient with each other. and thats attractive, never mind that theyre beer models and shit.

Yeah. The wife and I have been digging this too. I feel really bad for a couple of those guys though...

true. one dude i dont feel sorry for is that spindly lil dude with the autism. i mean, dude needs so much attention. reminds me of some folks around these parts. but, honestly, im suprised at how tolerant those girls are. props to them.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Bourdain is simply the man. I've met him once and he's just naturally charasmatic. That man surely knows how to tell a story....

I've said this on the board many a times, but I highly highly highly recommend his books. Especially if you're a squirmish eater, it might just open your eyes to something new. Or for you non-reading types, try and catch reruns of "A Cook's Tour" on food network. Supposedly he has a deal in works w/ the travel channel to produce a new season of cook's tour. He said peace to food network because they were trying to restrain his budget. They wanted him to focus on American cuisine instead of going abroad........and you know dude wasn't having none of that.

One shocking thing about all the bad chefs out there. Unbelievable but I've seen a lot them not even taste their own food before sending it out to service.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    ramsey's kitchen nightmare on channel 4 was a much better show than Hell's Kitchen. This one seems too constrained by the usual reality tv plotlines.

Although make no bones about it, gordon ramsey is a world class chef. Probably the best chef skill wise that's on tv right now.

dl torrents of nightmare kitchen here.

Thank you! I DLed the first three episodes of Season Two and watched the first one last night. B-r-u-t-a-l. I love his expletive-laden manner of speaking. Dude pulls no punches.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    np, they also have season 1 on that page......

On a related note, I'm currently watching this

yes he's a posh wanker, but I have to give him props for doing this. It's truly astonishing seeing kids and their eating habits. When asked about their favourite foods, none of them name anything resembling fresh food. Everything was over processed and often associated by coporate branding. It's truly sad seeing kids respond to a dominoes logo and yet can't even id asparagus.

I hope parents wake up and realize what they're doing to their kids as a result....

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

POSH TOTTY PLAESE

Thx for the reciepe Waxjunky, I am going to try that one soon.

• I just found out that a girl from my high school is on the show. mary ellen is her name. she was a grade ahead and was known for getting a head or two.

• I'm finna be up on the EDGE OF MY SEAT for the finale tonight (no sarcasm)!

Got my money on Michael.

No spoilers until 10PM PST plaeaeaeaese.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    I knew he was going to win.

Oh and fuck Dewb. Pussy.

• My dude rocked it. Fuck I hate Ralph. So grating.

My lady said that the reason Ralph's fiancee looked so happy was 'cause she knew he'd be impossible if he had his own restaurant. Prolly true.

And for the record, I think Michael was very, very smart to take Gordon up on his offer. I don't think Ramsay would've made that offer to anyone else (especially not Jessica or Elsie).

• i was happy to see the prize go to the most humble man. ralph may be good at
    what he does, but his cockiness overshadows everything else about him. that
    whole taste test in front of the chinese theater summed it all up.

nice to see one of "our people" (aka a young tatted-down dude) winning it all.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    i was happy to see the prize go to the most humble man. ralph may be good at
    what he does, but his cockiness overshadows everything else about him. that
    whole taste test in front of the chinese theater summed it all up.

nice to see one of "our people" (aka a young tatted-down dude) winning it all.

Ralph was like Gil on the Simpsons with that shit.

"Help old Gil out"

• My dude rocked it. Fuck I hate Ralph. So grating.

My lady said that the reason Ralph's fiancee looked so happy was 'cause she knew he'd be impossible if he had his own restaurant. Prolly true.

And for the record, I think Michael was very, very smart to take Gordon up on his offer. I don't think Ramsay would've made that offer to anyone else (especially not Jessica or Elsie).

What offer? We forgot to Tivo the show and I was trying to get Miles to go to sleep during the whole second half.