SPIDER-MAN 3 FEVER

Comments

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Don't forget a kick ass use of a Pixies song!

...and a pretty hot opening sequence!

it's crazy...i actually see similiarities between this and the spider-man opening sequence, the first one at least. i wonder if the same people did them

my fight club is a summer blockbuster argument holds up

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    Some of you guys over-analyse things ALOT... it sucks all the fun out of movies...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Some of you guys over-analyse things ALOT... it sucks all the fun out of movies...

Why? Because movies are here for mindless entertainment?

(And yet, people complain about how bad pop culture has become...oh, the irony).

No because it seems even in films where it's required, you lack the ability to just sit back and enjoy it, or take it for what it is rather than constantly distracting yourself with thoughs such as "but what of the emotional arc?!" etc...
    Just seems a bit tedious to be honest...

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

This is hilarious on many levels, did you know i used to work at best buy?
    awesome.

- spidey

No because it seems even in films where it's required, you lack the ability to just sit back and enjoy it, or take it for what it is rather than constantly distracting yourself with thoughs such as "but what of the emotional arc?!" etc...
    Just seems a bit tedious to be honest...

Uh, one reason why films ARE satisfying is because of things like "emotional arc". Why do you think people liked "Spiderman 2" so much, especially in comparison to the first film?

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

awesome.

no i didn't know. but i remembered you saying that you were a freelance computer fixer guy. i listened to this clip about 10 times yesterday crying my eyes out

what are you doing?
    reps.

i'm doing curls, that's what we do here.
    i thought you fixed computers.
    we do both, smartass.

It's not HAVING an emotional arc that i'm saying is bad, i'm talking about the constant analysis, sometimes you have to look beyond certain shortcomings in movies to enjoy them. For example, with a movie like Home Alone if you brought it up in a film class you could rip it to shreds, it doesn't mean it isn't enjoyable.
    That's all i'm saying man, nothing against you personally...

It's not HAVING an emotional arc that i'm saying is bad, i'm talking about the constant analysis, sometimes you have to look beyond certain shortcomings in movies to enjoy them. For example, with a movie like Home Alone if you brought it up in a film class you could rip it to shreds, it doesn't mean it isn't enjoyable.
    That's all i'm saying man, nothing against you personally...

I know - I'm not barking at you either. I just think that analysis, in and of itself, is not a bad thing. People enjoy movies for a variety of reasons.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Home Alone if you brought it up in a film class you could rip it to shreds, it doesn't mean it isn't enjoyable.

You find Home Alone enjoyable?

• it's crazy...i actually see similiarities between this and the spider-man opening sequence, the first one at least. i wonder if the same people did them

Fight Club's was done by Digital Domain.
    All the visual effects for Spider Man 1 and 2 were by John Dykstra.

Nerd alert.

Home Alone if you brought it up in a film class you could rip it to shreds, it doesn't mean it isn't enjoyable.

Yes, very much so, i'm assuming you disagree.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Yes, very much so, i'm assuming you disagree.

Yeah. Slapstick doesn't do it for me.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

awesome.

no i didn't know. but i remembered you saying that you were a freelance computer fixer guy. i listened to this clip about 10 times yesterday crying my eyes out

what are you doing?
    reps.

i'm doing curls, that's what we do here.
    i thought you fixed computers.
    we do both, smartass.

Yep, i'm a freelance computer guy, i used to be a freelance photographer.

Now I'm just your friendly neighborhood broke guitar player.

- spidey
    ^ (still repping this nickname since 3rd grade.)

• I saw this earlier this week. I have to say that i really liked the previous two.

But man this was a piece of doo dooooooo. Super cheesy. Terrible writing- more so than the last two. The whole part where he is rocking to "people get up and drive your funky soul" (wtf??)- i was like how did this get made? how were they ok with this final product? they easily could have cut 45 mins out of this 2.5 hr piece of fecal matter. maybe people will dig it. i can't see this doing the big numbers they had with the last two... maybe i wrong and jaded.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    dude i am so fucking excited about this. are you with me? i just read a glowing review from the only film critic i trust and now i don't know if i can wait after opening night for smaller crowds

holler if you hear me

i saw it midnight showing last night on IMAX. its definitely the best of the 3 spideys, by a noticable margin. some STUNNING fight sequences, some genuinely really funny parts, and good, human, believable interplay of characters throughout (so oftern missing in these super hero flix). tons of great moments, no terdy parts.

I saw this earlier this week. I have to say that i really liked the previous two.

But man this was a piece of doo dooooooo. Super cheesy. Terrible writing- more so than the last two. The whole part where he is rocking to "people get up and drive your funky soul" (wtf??)- i was like how did this get made? how were they ok with this final product? they easily could have cut 45 mins out of this 2.5 hr piece of fecal matter. maybe people will dig it. i can't see this doing the big numbers they had with the last two... maybe i wrong and jaded.

this film will outgross *everything* else in 2007, hands down.

absolutely disagee on the doo-doo! but so it goes.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    dude i am so fucking excited about this. are you with me? i just read a glowing review from the only film critic i trust and now i don't know if i can wait after opening night for smaller crowds

holler if you hear me

i saw it midnight showing last night on IMAX. its definitely the best of the 3 spideys, by a noticable margin. some STUNNING fight sequences, some genuinely really funny parts, and good, human, believable interplay of characters throughout (so oftern missing in these super hero flix). tons of great moments, no terdy parts.

How was the IMAX experience for this? My friend got tix for the regular film by mistake. Wondering how much I'll be missing.

holler if you hear me

How was the IMAX experience for this? My friend got tix for the regular film by mistake. Wondering how much I'll be missing.

we were sitting in the sweet spot, dead center and about 1/2 way up the screen. the sound was fantastic + loud as hell (in the good way), and the screen being 6 stories tall meant pretty much filling up your whole field of vision, yet without blurs or dizziness, etc. only $12 too (where i was anyway)

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    no terdy parts.

As much as im ready for this flick,there's no way in hell its devoid of some Hollywood bullshit.

All I can say is that I've almost never seen this kind of similarity in BOTH critical and popular opinion:

Metacritic on Spiderman:

Critics average score = 60
    Users average score = 6.5

Usually, critically panned films on Metacritic will score a full 2 points higher amongst users. "300" for example scored only 51 amongst critics but was 6.9 with general people.

Looks like word of mouth is not so hot on "Spiderman 3" so far?

Edidamn - what's the verdict on your end?

• 40ozking40ozking 308 Posts

I saw this earlier this week. I have to say that i really liked the previous two.

Co-sign... I was a fan of the comic and the first two movies. This movie is way too long. It takes a hour and 30 min's for Venom to be introduced. The James Brown skit should have been edited out. The ending and the first fight scene between Spidey and Goblin were the best parts.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I heard on NPR that this movie was one of the first to cross the $300 million cost mark or whatever. And this lady was describing how timelines are set, costs snowball to make this deadline, and the directors who want to out-do the last movie don't really worry too much about the costs (more special effects).

Does anybody else NOT watch movies?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    People should give a heads up for spoilers in this thread.

Looks like Spiderman 3 pulled in $59,000,000 yesterday - pretty gangbusters. I'm curious how word of mouth will sustain or end this film though.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Looks like Spiderman 3 pulled in $59,000,000 yesterday - pretty gangbusters. I'm curious how word of mouth will sustain or end this film though.

You can probably gauge this figure looking at say Spiderman 2's can't you?

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts

Highest gross takings for an opening day ever - will it hold for the weekend record?

• wow now it gets me curious.
    Im going next weekamsterdam arena with a friend of mine :P

Must I make reservations?

You can probably gauge this figure looking at say Spiderman 2's can't you?

Well, given how touch and go the movie industry has been, this could take a colossal drop by next week. There's no shortage of competition coming up as well. That said, things look pretty auspicious - this took out "Pirates of Caribbean 2" (which, as far as sequels go, was a hot turd) handily.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Amazingly cheesy movie. Yet at the afternoon showing I went to today the place was jam packed to capacity and people still clapped at the end.