SPIDER-MAN 3 FEVER

Comments

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    day would you say the actual films play THAT much similar?

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    don't make me upload the star wars holiday special on cbs to prove my point.

I used to work with two autistic men who were absolutely obsessed with the Star Wars holiday special. That is the most horrid thing I've ever seen and I've seen it many times. It eventually "disappeared".

• spcspc 534 Posts
    I saw it on Monday (this must be one of the rare times when a movie plays first in Germany than in the US).
    This was modern trash/b-movie! A really good bad movie. And it had Bruce Campell in it, what more could one want?!

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    day would you say the actual films play THAT much similar?

Oh hell no, but they're entertaining. They got all kinds of shit wrong, but that's bound to happen whenever they adapt from a comic.
    I think the 1st one was the better of the two.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    can we get back on the subject?

How could you be excited about this completely uninspired tepid rendition of such a classic tale. If by chance you caught the first 2 and are somehow still inspired to watch this one. More power to you. As Stan lee puts it, I am a true believer, and am completly unbothered by this horrible casting, horrible script, semi-decent cg, horrible directing, bastardizing of the original structure. Seriously, Venom? VENOM? Topher Grace? The dude from that 70's show? wow...

I don't mean to come off as a hater, but I have high expectations, and so far none of them have been met.

however, i will be seeing this this weekend, because I'll eat up anytheng spiderman related. No matter how shitty.

- spidey

what more could one want?!

a good movie.

- spidey

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    I think the 1st one was the better of the two.

you know i completely see where you're coming from. the first one was fun, where he discovered his powers, there was a cage match vs randy savage with bruce campbell facilitating etc, his lack of control with his web was hilariously self-deprecating like a pre-adolecent's control when it came to discovering teenage masturbatory fun time

but i loved the 2nd one, even though the dude side of me is completely aware that is was cringeworthy during a lot of moments and painful. but i am into the romance, and it was completely melodramatic and cheesy in the 2nd one, it made me uncomfortable with it's sap and level of unrequited love a few times but what can i say, i love douglas sirk movies and i am deep deep into that doomed love soap opera shit when it's convincing and executed okay. i think the love story is the only reason me and my fellow broads or any woman for that matter are into spider-man. otherwise it would be just like watching die hard or blood sport.

can we get back on the subject?

How could you be excited about this completely uninspired tepid rendition of such a classic tale. If by chance you caught the first 2 and are somehow still inspired to watch this one. More power to you. As Stan lee puts it, I am a true believer, and am completly unbothered by this horrible casting, horrible script, semi-decent cg, horrible directing, bastardizing of the original structure. Seriously, Venom? VENOM? Topher Grace? The dude from that 70's show? wow...

I don't mean to come off as a hater, but I have high expectations, and so far none of them have been met.

however, i will be seeing this this weekend, because I'll eat up anytheng spiderman related. No matter how shitty.

- spidey

oh give me a break. it's a movie rendition, there's never going to one that give the original source justice. it's a good story nonetheless worthy of a movie i think. didn't you have a fight club avatar where ed norton aka the spokesperson in amex/MGD commercials punched himself over and over? how are you going to get all purist police telling me that the movie was better than the book, with that cheesy pixies it-was-all-a-dream ending? you should be acclimated to the hollywoodization of published fiction. shouldn't be surprising. only difference between fight club and spiderman is that it doesn't pretend to be deeper than it actually is. it's a summer blockbuster for crying out loud. you're no fun

Granted, Fight club the book was genius as written, the movie definitely did it justice. As a big pahlaniuk fan, I'm appalled at this uwe bollien comparison of hackass sam raimi trying to scrape something from the good marvel name. Seriously.. that fool hasn't done nothing dope since army of darkness. I just don't understand why you have to ruin such an incredibly well done mythology with some super bland actors. I am hilarious and barrels of fun, jerk.

- spidey

super bland actors? um, peter parker is a nobody, and mj is the girl next door. who do you want to play them, brad pitt and grace kelly?

fight club was mega corny and a self-indulgent summer blockbuster with an identity crisis. sorry to break it to you. are you a big fan of memento and donnie darko also?

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    I rarely go out for movies but this is the kind of movie that needs to be seen on the big screen. I don't have enough back history to be mad at the film version and will try to be loaded enough to be visually stunned. Anyhow, I will probably pay to see this as Ive only rented the others and been slightly disapointed. I do know the first is usually the best but we will have to see.

super bland actors? um, peter parker is a nobody, and mj is the girl next door. who do you want to play them, brad pitt and grace kelly?

fight club was mega corny and a self-indulgent summer blockbuster with an identity crisis. sorry to break it to you. are you a big fan of memento and donnie darko also?

your missing the whole point to spiderman.. peter parker aint a nobody and mj isn't just the girl next door..

There's a dance sequence in this one.

I win you lose. Take that shit to aint it cool news.com

- spidey

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I am looking forward to seeing this movie tonight.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    ripping off kurosawa??? lucas used some of the same visual 'riffs' but i wouldn't call it that. you want to talk about ripping off kurosawa watch a fistfull of dollars.The Magnificent Seven

In any case, though "The Seven Samurai" no doubt influenced "Star Wars" narrative, it's not like Kurosawa invented the Hero Cycle either.

Man, EH is getting mad aggro in this thread.

Hell hath no fury like a Spiderman fan scorned.

Question: which critic said they liked it? Most of the reviews I've been reading have straight RAVAGED the film (and this includes people who liked S2).

As for "Spiderman" > "Star Wars" I'll just pretend you didn't say that.

Man, EH is getting mad aggro in this thread.

you can call me audrey but i'm just funnin'.

Question: which critic said they liked it? Most of the reviews I've been reading have straight RAVAGED the film (and this includes people who liked S2).

Stephanie Zacharek on Salon

http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/review/2007/05/04/spider_man_3/

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    ripping off kurosawa??? lucas used some of the same visual 'riffs' but i wouldn't call it that. you want to talk about ripping off kurosawa watch a fistfull of dollars.The Magnificent Seven

In any case, though "The Seven Samurai" no doubt influenced "Star Wars" narrative, it's not like Kurosawa invented the Hero Cycle either.
    kurosawa sued leone for fistfull of dollars because he copied so many shots from seven samurai.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    I ended up seeing a midnight screening of this. Was better than I expected as I am not the biggest fan of the series, was enjoyable. What I expected mostly.

Parker gets all emo, dark and deep. Does this funny thing with his hair and points at the ladies w/ a cool face a lot for a bit.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    a guy who's father is white but sounds like james earl jones

save the love story...you know what save the story period, spiderman is an action super[/b] hero whose character is fundamentally rooted in his inner turmoil (which requires some dialogue to convey)[/b]. i want to see some action. swing by your web, catch some bad guys, climb a building, but i don't really want to hear you talk to much. make sure you remain true to the essence of the character[/b]

I can't lie, I was a huge Spiderman comic fan and the movies have been pretty good so far.

oh great, i realized that my 3000th post was part of series of antagonistic 'online freakouts'

I LEARNED IT FROM WATCHING YOU DAD

• Listen bud. He's got radioactive blood.

This movie's gonna rule.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    fight club was mega corny and a self-indulgent summer blockbuster with an identity crisis.

THANK YOU! God, that movie is so incredibly overrated.

I am so down with Spider Man 3 on IMAX, it's crazy. Definitely trying to make that a part of the weekend plans.

fight club was mega corny and a self-indulgent summer blockbuster with an identity crisis.

I am so down with Spider Man 3 on IMAX, it's crazy. Definitely trying to make that a part of the weekend plans.

What's the identity crisis in FIGHT CLUB? Recovery of violent masculinity > class oppression. That's the message in a nutshell.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I don't understand why people like these films so much.

BAN

What's the identity crisis in FIGHT CLUB? Recovery of violent masculinity > class oppression. That's the message in a nutshell.

not in Fight Club. it was a mainstream movie for people who don't think they're mainstream. just like Tom Waits = Weird Music for Normal People. i just said it was a blockbuster because it used a lot of cheap stylistic devices and had lots o action, albeit more hand to hand combat. there were explosions and crap though

Don't forget a kick ass use of a Pixies song!

• Don't forget a kick ass use of a Pixies song!

...and a pretty hot opening sequence!