SHOW ME SOME GREAT PSYCH RECORDS.

Comments

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Modern or old-tyme....

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I think modern hippies are busy jamming Phish and Bob Marley.

• HonkyFippleHonkyFipple 418 Posts
    Definitely way too many records mentioned here as 'psych' but are actually rock or prog rock.

Truly a shame!

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

ModernHippies need to be schooled in Psych.
    They need to learn about thier culture, thier history.
    REAL Hippies need to have spent at least $100+ on a Psych Raer.
    I am advocating a "VH1 Psych Honors" program....

• TrueStuTrueStu 91 Posts
    I think most people say "psych" when they really mean psych-era rock.

I found an LP by Triangle (french Prog) that melted my face, neck and chest off a few weeks back.

Thanks for this.

• pencilfacepencilface 674 Posts

I found an LP by Triangle (french Prog) that melted my face, neck and chest off a few weeks back.

i've heard that this is great -- i want a copy to call my own.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I think most people say "psych" when they really mean psych-era rock.

That triangle lp has some psych cuts on it. just cause it's euro, don't make it prog.

Psych isnt a genre...it's a sound. much like film noir is to movies.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Psych isnt a genre...it's a sound. much like film noir is to movies.
    I'm gonna cosine this statement.
    Everytime that I read/hear discussions of what's psych and what's not, I come out even more confused.
    Same applies for modern soul.

Psych isnt a genre...it's a sound.

And really good psych records have that sound all the way through.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    can't believe you got rid of yr Soft Machine records Crinkle!

Huge cosign on West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band, Phluph and Blue Cheer. Theres LOADS of great psych records for under $50. Whether its Love, Blues Magoos The Seeds, The Electric Prunes, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Spirit, Jefferson Airplane or Crinks favorite band The Doors. But seriously the list could go forever... I've been digging that Troyka record lately, is it psych? Fuck if I know, I like it and thats all that matters to me. Some other jawns I've been jamming on:

Blues Magoos

THE MANDRILL OF PSYCH

HAHAHAHAHA

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts

i guess this is more along the lines of rock, but I think its a great record, and can be for less than five bucks,

I know the u.k. press of this goes for $$$ but the u.s. press on Paramount? goes for under 50 and its an awesome record.

Man the U.S. Pressing of the Affinity Lp is going for alot more now compared to 4 years ago, but it depends on the condition:

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    The Chocolate Watch band is a fine example of 'psych'

At least in my humble opinion

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    the biggest orverlap in distinction is between psych and garage, not psych and prog.

Blues Magoos

THE MANDRILL OF PSYCH

HAHAHAHAHA

HCRANK

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    Can't believe none of y'all named King Crimson...they are the king of Psych...ALL LPs UNDER ACID or nothing. THey even created that reverse guitar effect. I love the red LP.

Can't believe none of y'all named King Crimson...they are the king of PROG...ALL LPs UNDER ACID or nothing. THey even created that reverse guitar effect. I love the red LP.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    THey even created that reverse guitar effect.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    whats the deal with manfred mann? think thats some really horrible stuff, at least what i know.

whats the deal with manfred mann? think thats some really horrible stuff, at least what i know.

huh?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Can't believe none of y'all named King Crimson...they are the king of Psych...ALL LPs UNDER ACID or nothing. THey even created that reverse guitar effect. I love the red LP.

Not only have they been mentioned a few times already (or was that all you?) but KC is the very definition of PROG... not bad prog by any means, but not psych... psych was definitely not on major labels (in the U.S.) by that time...

huh?

There is definitely some Mannshit, but that doesn't detract from the good...

Actually, I think many/most hippies back in the day were listening to mushy, 'jammy', bluesy rock with bad vocals too

You can get United States of America "S/T" for under $50. Great record.

One of the more reasonable things posted in this thread. Domestic copies of White Noise should be pretty reasonable too.

i can't stand that record. it's a cheap record for a good reason.

Yes, that reason is that it was popular among college-age folk at the time (the best nonpopular LP in at least a few parent's collections) [Oh, and you're not going to find it cheap with the original paper bag over the sleeve either]

The first Soft Machine was popular with the same crowd, and is also a great cheap album... while psychedelic I would not classify it as 'psych' though

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    my bad then...i didnt Crimson wouldnt be Psych...I dont know Psych myself. I may own some without knowing it!lol...Like, Dave Pike. It has the Sitar, the shrooms...isn't it Psych? LOL
    I mean, i tried to find a way to define according to y'all advices...but i still can't. Many people disagreed on what's Psych and what's not.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

Psych isnt a genre...it's a sound. way of life.

Real psych headz from back in the day are either dead, burned out beyond belief, or rocket scientists.

Psych is experimental rock with a certain craziness or manic nature to it. Introspection and experimentation are core components, as well as drug experimentation.

If the dude is noodling, it's not psych. Psych dudes will stick to an idea and go crazy with it or get stuck in it for awhile, then quickly shift gears from it.

If someone is singing "ba ba ba" to it, it's probably not psych.

If you can predict the trajectory of the song as you listen along to it, it's probably not psych.

Horn rock is not psych. Soft Machine is not psych. Aynsley Dunbar Prescription is not psych. United States of America is not psych. Manfred Mann after the 1st album is not psych. Cake is not psych.

Listen to old dudes when they say the term "psych moves," there's a reason they say that.

If the dude is noodling, it's not psych. Psych dudes will stick to an idea and go crazy with it or get stuck in it for awhile, then quickly shift gears from it.

If someone is singing "ba ba ba" to it, it's probably not psych.

If you can predict the trajectory of the song as you listen along to it, it's probably not psych.

Horn rock is not psych. Soft Machine is not psych. Aynsley Dunbar Prescription is not psych. United States of America is not psych. Manfred Mann after the 1st album is not psych. Cake is not psych.

Listen to old dudes when they say the term "psych moves," there's a reason they say that.

Sorry, TN - these "rules" are a little too narrow IMO.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

Sorry, psych is a truly slender genre.