SHOW ME SOME GREAT PSYCH RECORDS.

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Yeah, I paid more than $50... but every so often I hear (or read) people saying they got a nice one on theBay for like $35... which is crazy. Great record for less than $100

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Sometimes this one goes real cheap on eBay.

http://waxidermy.com/audio/baroques.mp3

I've been trying to upgrade my VG copy for over a year now. I will pay anyone $51 plus shipping for a clean copy.

While we're talking about psychedelic records on Chess, may as well mention that I scored Petal Pushers for $8 last week. Apparently Chess had a licensing agreement with the Pye label in England...Pye would issue Chess' blues catalog and Chess would occasionally try to break into the pop market with a Pye recording.*** Petal Pushers is a comp of various Pye pop-psych acts (accent on the "pop"). Not all of this works (in fact, it's quite uneven), but for those of you Minnie Riperton & Charles Stepney fans, there are these trippy 15-second interludes between some of the songs...the beginning of each side is Minnie singing opera while Charles plays piano...

[color:blue]***and that's how Chess wound up getting an American hit with Status Quo's "Pictures Of Matchstick Men" [/color]

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

????????????????????????

try doing some acid and listening to this shit and report back

still my favorite Ween album

yeah, its trippy alright, i wont dispute that...i cant speak for fredfades (who started this thread), but me personally, if i were just getting started with psych, id probably want to track down the originators before i move on to some modern-day dabblers, ya know? just my opinion

• kidinquisitivekidinquisitive 1,627 Posts
    im not really into this shit. but i got a lot of money right now.

Ever think of using the money to buy something that you are into? Or failing that, saving it, or - call me crazy - doing something beneficial for the world with it?

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    The problem is that people are calling every rock record from the 60's and 70's "psych". Manfred Mann, McDonald and Gilles, etc are good but these really aren't psychedelic records.

100% agree. The psychedelix mix I did last. None of those records were over $20. Nothing extremely rare though.

- spidey

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    i vew recently been to a record exchange in braunschweig, and there was a guy selling ONLY us psych/progrock from the 70`s. He had about 2 crates of private pressings, obscure bay area records etc. if i only knew a little more about psych at that time, i would ve probably made some nice deals. he had a lot of sealed private pressings.. not a single copy looked worn ou, everything near mint. asking prices were not really low (i still dont know about the rarity of these records), but not too high as well. he seemed to know what the stuff is worth. the only record i bought was a privilege LP, but now i regret not buying the ultimate spinach`s. he had "behold & see" and s/t, each original, mint condition, 50$ each.

share some knowledge!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    privilege LP

The soundtrack or the band on T-Neck?

$50 for Ultimate Spinach seems pretty high although
    they seem to have been getting more attention lately,
    and I do live in Boston, where there are probably far
    more copies than anywhere else, so I'm just used to
    seeing them around.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

Trifle - First Meeting LP for $50.

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts

If you're talking clean UK copy than you'll have to add some $.

Not MINT, but with just some crackle between tracks, I'm happy:

===============================================================================
    === GEMM ORDER NOTIFICATION ===================================================

This is just a notification message.
    You don't need to do anything further at this time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

==================================================================================---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RECEIVED CUSTOMER PAYMENT $33.00 +
    S&H

Seller item number: 37232
    GEMM item number: GML896044133
    TRIFLE
    FIRST MEETING
    LP VG+/VG+ DAWN DNLS3017 UK

*** CUSTOMER INDICATED ""

*** Customer Instructions ***********************************

Thank you

*** Notice from GEMM administrator **************************

Prices displayed in US DOLLARS.
    GEMM GUARANTEE

• HonkyFippleHonkyFipple 418 Posts

yep. i sold my first copy for 200 Euros. but that's probably way too much. i was lucky. it's a great record. but more like a heavy JJ Band version. I'd say it's more Jazz Rockish.

Psych is a tough field. Some of the most sought-after Psych records are really just bad music. Drugged-out and dull. I really like the Dawn label. Although some records on Dawn are not very "psychy".

What is Psych anyway? The Beatles Revolver LP? SRC? DR Hooker? Fifty Foot Hose? 13th Floor Elevators? Can? Love? Solid Ground? Fuzz guitars? Weird lyrics? Is Archie Whitewater Psych?

There are many great European Psych records, but they are getting very expensive.

Here's one of the most sought-after Psych records:
    DR Hooker - Truth LP
    Please to leave yur feedback. I'd like to know what people think of it

I really like the The Sound of Feeling's Spleen LP on Limelight.

yep. i sold my first copy for 200 Euros. but that's probably way too much. i was lucky.

The last copy I saw on GEMM was $250.00
    It didn't stay there for long either, so when I scored the above copy I was well chuffed.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    all hail this mysterious genre PSYCH. with a vast bracket on one side (for many), and it appears, a very narrow selection for others

I really love the 2nd HP Lovecraft LP, whatever genre you want to put it in.

peace

The guy who bought my Trifle LP was totally happy. He was amazed that a fellow German was selling a copy. He asked me where I got it from and couldn't believe that I found two copies at a local record store. Crazy. 3-5 years ago, the record was worth nothing. It must have been in a top ten list of a big time psych collectro

I've got the german pressing of zeus, not even sure I would file that under psych. It has psychy moments but it's a proper, hard as fuck rock record at heart.

Zappa has far more freaky moments.

I've got the german pressing of zeus, not even sure I would file that under psych. It has psychy moments but it's a proper, hard as fuck rock record at heart.

Zappa has far more freaky moments.

weirdly enough, I found out recently that fans of Zeus "the album" rather than "the braekface collectstro", actually set up a regular night called "The Power Of Zeus" in london, at a bar some years back.

The purpose of the night was to appreciate the record - so they would play quite a lot of it - but then extend out into "similar" things - which I think was actually likely to be more sabbathy than free design in angle (if you read between my lines)

wish I could have been there.

anyway, back to the psyKeCheque

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Just get some "straight from hunger". Even though you won't be able to get there stuff under 50, re-issues are worth it. The best psych band I have heard so far.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    this one should only set you back 20-30

Im shopping at the wrong record shops.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    The guy who bought my Trifle LP was totally happy. He was amazed that a fellow German was selling a copy. He asked me where I got it from and couldn't believe that I found two copies at a local record store. Crazy. 3-5 years ago, the record was worth nothing. It must have been in a top ten list of a big time psych collectro

probly cause it was on aeiou2
    weirdest thing about that record is that they cover an archie whittewater song. explain that plaese!

psych, id have to go with my favorite flave "Knights of the blue communion"

• GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts
    You can get United States of America "S/T" for under $50. Great record.

You should be able to find any of the first three West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band lps for under $50. Love those.

You mentioned liking the first King Crimson, well you'd definitely dig the McDonald & Giles lp on Cotillion then, as mentioned above.

Check out a label like Akarma. They do reissues of tons of psych records. I'm not advocating buying a shit-ton of reissues but if you want to sample some things there are worse ways to learn about a genre.

You can get $10 represses of classic titles like the Gandalf album, the Kak album, Peanut Butter Conspiracy records, etc.

• i guess this is more along the lines of rock, but I think its a great record, and can be for less than five bucks,

I know the u.k. press of this goes for $$$ but the u.s. press on Paramount? goes for under 50 and its an awesome record.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    Just get some "straight from hunger". Even though you won't be able to get there stuff under 50, re-issues are worth it. The best psych band I have heard so far.

I'm going to guess you meant "Strictly From Hunger". The OG's will run you a grand, the RI's by Akarma suck as a result of noise reduction. The only decent RI (well, initial press/acetate) is the VOID that's OOP. The additional guitar track on the VOID issue makes it very raw. The OG is good also, but I don't listen to it nearly as much as the VOID issue since I like the sequence and music a lot more.

I'm going to guess you meant "Strictly From Hunger". The OG's will run you a grand, the RI's by Akarma suck as a result of noise reduction. The only decent RI (well, initial press/acetate) is the VOID that's OOP. The additional guitar track on the VOID issue makes it very raw. The OG is good also, but I don't listen to it nearly as much as the VOID issue since I like the sequence and music a lot more.

Yeah, sorry about that. Forgot the name, I have a bad memory. I have the void issue and the Akarma. But even though the sound on Akarma isnt top notch, its worth to have in your collection.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

those look beautiful, regardless of how they sound!

i'm clueless on both.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

One of the more reasonable things posted in this thread. Domestic copies of White Noise should be pretty reasonable too.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    the insides are as beautiful as the outsides!

I don't know too much about Lyd other than they are/were from LA and the original was only put out on acetate in 69 or 70. This is a 10".

Bent Wind are/were from Toronto and this was also put out in 69 or 70. I think they put out two more LPs. I can't afford the OG but would be willing to put my hand in a barrel of worms for it.

This also a great record Moss put me on to:

Raw Material - Time Is...

One of the more reasonable things posted in this thread. Domestic copies of White Noise should be pretty reasonable too.

i can't stand that record. it's a cheap record for a good reason. i'd rather buy an early soft machine lp. i still don't get what people like about the united states of america.