SHOW ME SOME GREAT PSYCH RECORDS.

fredfadesfredfades 584 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
im not really into this shit. but i got a lot of money right now.please try to post records around or under 50$ each. i like a lot of the gentle giant stuff, the birth control stuff, also have a record called hp lovecraft that i listen a lot to. i also like the rodriguez cold fact record a lot.. the sugarman track gotta be one of my favourite tracks. also love king crimson - talk to the wind. and the whole trap door mix is off the meter.do your thing. school a lil dude

Comments

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    $50 will not even buy you empty covers of "great psych records".

• fredfadesfredfades 584 Posts
    so what youre saying is that if a psych record isnt expensive then it isnt a good record.. haha.

i dont believe you.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    so what youre saying is that if a psych record isnt expensive then it isnt a good record.. haha.

i dont believe you.

he really isnt bullshitting you...aside from Jimi Hendrix LPs, the odd record like Tommy James and Shondells "Cellophane Symphony"...there arent many top shelf psych records under $50...there have been freak-ass collectros for this stuff for 30 odd years...

on a good day you can scoop Gal Costa's S/T LPs from 1969 for about $40 each (but then ya got $15-$20 shipping)...

Well, I suppose it's somewhat relative, but these days you're not even really gonna get bottom of the heap shit on Mainstream like Jelly Bean Bandits or whatever for less than $100... and this is really not "great psych", IMO. This is like the BT Express of Psych. The really, really good psych records are really, really expensive. They have been for decades now.

• pencilfacepencilface 674 Posts
    some of those records in that thread can eaily be had for under $50 --- ive seen the "quicksilver..." and "US69" for well under $50 before. and my local shops are dead expensive.

i imagine all the good stuff is pretty pocket-lightening though. whats some half decent psych for under $50??

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    t-swift and the electric bag's "are you experienced". And for beginners into psych then I also suggest you get anything by the band "straight from hunger". I myself am not really into psych either but from what I have heard, those have been both my favourites.

• some of those records in that thread can eaily be had for under $50 --- ive seen the "quicksilver..." and "US69" for well under $50 before. and my local shops are dead expensive.

i imagine all the good stuff is pretty pocket-lightening though. whats some half decent psych for under $50??

Fred, these dudes are half-joking with you... if you don't have MacDonald & Giles (not totally "psych", but rock with prog undertones), grab this - you won't be disappointed.

But yes, part of the appeal of psych is the fact that the insane music found in this genre is also frequently insanely rare...

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    you can get a majority of the Ven Der Graaf Generator catalog for under $50 and they're all solid psych/prog efforts.

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts

• LamarTinsonLamarTinson 507 Posts

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

????????????????????????

i'd love to get my dirty mitts on Vertigo Spirals of these two badboys...

• LamarTinsonLamarTinson 507 Posts

????????????????????????

Heard it?

The problem is that people are calling every rock record from the 60's and 70's "psych". Manfred Mann, McDonald and Gilles, etc are good but these really aren't psychedelic records.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

????????????????????????

try doing some acid and listening to this shit and report back

still my favorite Ween album

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Spend some time here.......

If you search around you'll find a list of some psych dealer/collector Top Tens.

http://lysergia_2.tripod.com/AcidArchives/index.htm

• rocco2nrrocco2nr 530 Posts

Isn't Manfred Mann more Prog Rock than Psych??

yeah, but that is "manfred mann chapter three" which was a psych side project. i got that first joint, it's pretty good.

• Deejay_OMDeejay_OM 695 Posts

i dont believe you.

he's probably not saying that...he's just also probably got a different taste because of his exposure to psych...

some people are looking for manfred mann jawns...jimi hendrix...13th floor elevators....etc...

other people have those already...and have heard that...they're looking for an original of dark...and...well, you get the idea...

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    whats up with the Food LP? never heard it, but those shaggy hippies on the cover are speaking to me

Food is good. It's not massive I'm tripping dude psych though. It's pretty & soft with lots of strings and such. Pop-psych, I guess.

• Deejay_OMDeejay_OM 695 Posts
    whats up with the Food LP? never heard it, but those shaggy hippies on the cover are speaking to me

I really like that album....I have the mptrees of it somewhere...if you are interested..hit me on pm and we can figure out how to get it to you

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

????????????????????????

I would call this psychedelic before almost everything else listed in this thread

'prog' most definitely does not equate to 'psych'

BUT many of the psychedelic records that beatheads enjoy are not the rarer, more expensiver joints.....

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

I will ride for this LP, and it can usually be grabbed for $25-$30, often sealed.

Sometimes this one goes real cheap on eBay.

http://waxidermy.com/audio/baroques.mp3

Here's another one you can probably get for $20

can anyone tell me anything about this bad boy:

i picked it up for a few quid (because of the totally awesome cover) and listened to it, thought that it was not-my-bag blues rock. then saw that it's in one of those Hans Pakora books and on that Acid Archives site mentioned above.... is it rare or collectable or something?? is this psych????

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

I really like that album....I have the mptrees of it somewhere...if you are interested..hit me on pm and we can figure out how to get it to you

cool...thanks OM

The problem is that people are calling every rock record from the 60's and 70's "psych". Manfred Mann, McDonald and Gilles, etc are good but these really aren't psychedelic records.

records by white guys in the late 60's = psych. Get w/ it dude.

records by white guys in the late 60's = psych. Get w/ it dude.

ahhh... I see, a formula!

Sometimes this one goes real cheap on eBay.

http://waxidermy.com/audio/baroques.mp3

I've been trying to upgrade my VG copy for over a year now. I will pay anyone $51 plus shipping for a clean copy.