Ghetto Brothers

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
What year was this released?

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Cos,

1972 if I'm not mistaken.

• Speaking of the Ghetto Brothers, can anyone tell me about that CD that Dusty Groove is stocking? How's the sound quality, and is it legit?

It's not legit. Not exactly.

The label that is reissuing the album is the label that originally put out the album. However, they're not paying the Ghetto Brothers any royalties off it and I think there's some legal action being taken to set the situation right.

The way I heard it said was, "we won't tell you not to buy the album but you should send a letter to the label and tell them to act right by paying the GBs the royalties they deserve."

The same label refused to let others license the material for what would have been a far more legit reissue, with the participation of the band. Seems now that they might have denied that attempt so they could try to profit on their own.

Personally, I refuse to do anything to help promote or bring the CD into public light until they do the right thing.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    It's not legit. Not exactly.

The label that is reissuing the album is the label that originally put out the album. However, they're not paying the Ghetto Brothers any royalties off it and I think there's some legal action being taken to set the situation right.

The way I heard it said was, "we won't tell you not to buy the album but you should send a letter to the label and tell them to act right by paying the GBs the royalties they deserve."

The same label refused to let others license the material for what would have been a far more legit reissue, with the participation of the band. Seems now that they might have denied that attempt so they could try to profit on their own.

Personally, I refuse to do anything to help promote or bring the CD into public light until they do the right thing.

Word. Hope that ends well, with those fucks doing the right thing.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I'll pay someone $11.99 for a high-quality rip of the CD.

• froz1froz1 154 Posts
    I can't say that I fully regret buying the CD because the music kicks ass, but that is pretty fucked up.

Can't complain much about the sound quality, but during the last 4 seconds or so of "Ghetto Brother Power" the audio gets choppy... minor, but annoying. Anyone know how many of these illegitimate reissues were pressed up?

• Personally, I refuse to do anything to help promote or bring the CD into public light until they do the right thing.

ummm, how many people visit this site per day?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

You're the only person I know that owns the actual LP

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    I can't say that I fully regret buying the CD because the music kicks ass, but that is pretty fucked up.

Rip it @ 320 and post it here....for JUSTICE!

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    How much money do you guys think the Ghetto Brothers would really see from this after expenses anyway? I know, it's the principal, they should get what's rightfully theirs even if it's a nickel, yadda yadda. Just sayin'... we can't be talkin' bout very much money here

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

with photoshopped cover.

• indiana45sindiana45s 266 Posts

Shrink Wrapped or better...

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts

with photoshopped cover.

IMG SRC=http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/2760/gbreylz1.gif>

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

How much money do you guys think the Ghetto Brothers would really see from this after expenses anyway? I know, it's the principal, they should get what's rightfully theirs even if it's a nickel, yadda yadda. Just sayin'... we can't be talkin' bout very much money here

Dude, your point?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Dude, your point?

He's saying if you buy the CD, just send the
    band some Dunkin' Donuts coupons or something
    and everything will be square.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Please do not buy the bootleg. A legit reissue is on the way. I know how you guys do with your 320 rips and whatever that has as much to do with the band not getting paid as anything

Dude, your point?

dude, my point, dude, is just what i said, dude. how many copies is a Ghetto Brothers re gonna sell, dude? what effect is boycotting the re gonna have for real for real? if it makes everybody feel all warm and furry inside because they refused to support such reprehensible music business practices (lolol) and let the evil Ghetto Brothers reissue die on the vine, that's beautiful, dude. bottom line is, who knew anything about a Ghetto Brothers other than a couple o' serious serious collectors and a handful of self-proclaimed elitist record nerds? at least the re gives the group and their lost music some exposure, limited as it may be, that they prolly never got before. if the band members are still around and still fiddlin' around with their instruments while dealing with gout, dementia, impotence and other maladies that effect the elderly, maybe the exposure will help them to resurrect their careers and perhaps tour, garnering them much more $$$ than they could ever see from record royalties from a Ghetto Brothers reissue (still not a lot of money, though- let's not get it twisted here). Don't forget, i have been through the whole reissuing-of-lost-musics situation... i know how it goes. It's nice, but ain't nobody gettin' rich off of schitt like that, dope as the Ghetto Brothers record may be

are you getting my point yet, dude?

Phill -

Thing is, the story behind the Ghetto Brothers is particularly powerful and from what I understand they are/were getting ready to do a real push with the licensed reissue. I don't know how many units that translates into but it's not like just some record nerd shit like say a limited edition rap 12" it could potentially be as big as that Shuggie Otis thing was a number of years back in terms of some media coverage and getting the whole story out about the Real_Schitt that the Ghetto Brothers were into.

As far as people not supporting the boot I am never down with the bootleggers and I am increasingly disgusted by the grippy slimy dubiously moral downloading that these wasted piss stains on the dirty mattress called life are engaging in.

Wow, I just got all Five Fingered Phillipe with it...

Phill -

Thing is, the story behind the Ghetto Brothers is particularly powerful and from what I understand they are/were getting ready to do a real push with the licensed reissue. I don't know how many units that translates into but it's not like just some record nerd shit like say a limited edition rap 12" it could potentially be as big as that Shuggie Otis thing was a number of years back in terms of some media coverage and getting the whole story out about the Real_Schitt that the Ghetto Brothers were into.

That's interesting... what exactly is the Ghetto Brothers' story? Can it be found online somewhere? I mean, I doubt that it could be any more powerful than my brother's illicit involvements with the infamous uptown druglords of the late 80's that was behind the "On Tempo Jack" record, but hey... powerful is powerful

Not trying to argue with you here at all, Jonathan, but I'm just curious- what kind of numbers did the Shuggie Otis thing do? I'm just saying, I don't expect any project like that to do enough business in 2007 that it will equate to serious $$$ for the artist, especially if it's a band with x amount of members. Hey, I guess even if all you can get out of it is a $2.99 plate from Long John Silvers when the royalties come through you still need to get what's due to you. I ain't mad at that

it's not like just some record nerd shit like say a limited edition rap 12"

lololololo!!!!!

• slushslush 691 Posts
    part of the Ghetto Brothers story is written in Can't Stop, Won't Stop. Its very interesting. Then I heard the 4 tracks that someone posted way back and was blown away!!! it definitely added to the story. I don't really ever buy reissues, but I'd love a legit copy of this.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    what exactly is the Ghetto Brothers' story? Can it be found online somewhere?

I'm just reading up on this myself while listening for the first time and I gotta say it's pretty great:
    A HREF=http://books.google.com/books?id=DCNC_qGcgkgC&pg=PA64&lpg=PA64&dq="ghetto+brothers"+fuerza&source=web&ots=x9LOdeIxaP&sig=e2tm6nrXJOF5Niey6BbgdkkOElo>Here/A> & A HREF=http://www.cantstopwontstop.com/w_art_ben.cfm>here.

P.S. Thanks to listening to the ripped boot I will now happily purchase the legit reissue when/if it comes out (that's "how I do"). Shit, if the guys need graphics/layout work for the legit CD I'll do that shit pro bono!

Phil,

I'm just surprised by your attitude on this. This isn't a case where the players aren't already all at the table, unlike other bootlegs where the artists are totally ignorant to what's going on, where no one sure if anyone is still around/alive, etc.

The Ghetto Brothers wanted to reissue the CD two years ago. The problem is that there's (not surprisingly) a contractual gray zone between them and Salsa Int'l. Salsa Int'l refused to allow another label access to the tapes but then they turned around and effectively put it out themselves while cutting the GBs out of the loop. It's pretty blatant and unethical and possibly illegal.

Would a GBs CD sell a gazillion copies? Of course not. But as others have noted, there's been a lot of attention on them since Jeff Chang's I>Can't Stop, Won't Stop[/i], and these are some upstanding dudes. Like Benji Melendez (who lead the GBs) is still working in gang prevention after 30 years. Maybe he and the crew would only stand to make a few hundred or thousand off a legit reissue but to me, they've earned that money.

Dude, your point?

dude, my point, dude, is just what i said, dude. how many copies is a Ghetto Brothers re gonna sell, dude? what effect is boycotting the re gonna have for real for real? if it makes everybody feel all warm and furry inside because they refused to support such reprehensible music business practices (lolol) and let the evil Ghetto Brothers reissue die on the vine, that's beautiful, dude. bottom line is, who knew anything about a Ghetto Brothers other than a couple o' serious serious collectors and a handful of self-proclaimed elitist record nerds? at least the re gives the group and their lost music some exposure, limited as it may be, that they prolly never got before. if the band members are still around and still fiddlin' around with their instruments while dealing with gout, dementia, impotence and other maladies that effect the elderly, maybe the exposure will help them to resurrect their careers and perhaps tour, garnering them much more $$$ than they could ever see from record royalties from a Ghetto Brothers reissue (still not a lot of money, though- let's not get it twisted here). Don't forget, i have been through the whole reissuing-of-lost-musics situation... i know how it goes. It's nice, but ain't nobody gettin' rich off of schitt like that, dope as the Ghetto Brothers record may be

are you getting my point yet, dude?

Phill -

That's interesting... what exactly is the Ghetto Brothers' story? Can it be found online somewhere? I mean, I doubt that it could be any more powerful than my brother's illicit involvements with the infamous uptown druglords of the late 80's that was behind the "On Tempo Jack" record, but hey... powerful is powerful

Your brother is Peter Brown???!!!???

lolololol

No but seriously that is powerful and if you were more comfortable exploiting that it would probably add some proto-50cent gravitas to your game. Of course I wouldn't be comfortable like that and I doubt you would be either :stopsnitchin:

But yeah the GBs story is tight. South BX gang makes good on funky political latin rock record. Trying to revive rebuild the ghetto through music-based community activism.

The Shuggie Otis reissue did some pretty good numbers relevant to its niche audience. I don't have an exact sales figure but it got pretty good coverage, was in most stores' top 10s for a while, and MOST importantly was considered trendy.

Phill -

Your brother is Peter Brown???!!!???

lolololol

No but seriously that is powerful and if you were more comfortable exploiting that it would probably add some proto-50cent gravitas to your game. Of course I wouldn't be comfortable like that and I doubt you would be either :stopsnitchin:

All that stuff has already been reported in print- i have no problem talking about it and my brother doesn't mind either. But the whole idea that schitt like that would make somebody more interested in the music is real
    That kind of schitt i guess is for people of this generation, but it's definitely not for me. either you like that phill most real schitt or ya don't... i am glad to see that a lot of people out there did or do like it (relatively speaking of course) since the reissue sold very well (again, relatively speaking... this is 2007, after all)

Maybe it is not a selling point for you or me, but it is definitely a selling point for the rapp masses and has been long before this generation... I mean with the whole gangster rap boom and "keeping it real" in the early 90s that was when I started seeing people actually considering how deep an artist's criminal or street ties were.

Phil,

I'm just surprised by your attitude on this. This isn't a case where the players aren't already all at the table, unlike other bootlegs where the artists are totally ignorant to what's going on, where no one sure if anyone is still around/alive, etc.

The Ghetto Brothers wanted to reissue the CD two years ago. The problem is that there's (not surprisingly) a contractual gray zone between them and Salsa Int'l. Salsa Int'l refused to allow another label access to the tapes but then they turned around and effectively put it out themselves while cutting the GBs out of the loop. It's pretty blatant and unethical and possibly illegal.

Would a GBs CD sell a gazillion copies? Of course not. But as others have noted, there's been a lot of attention on them since Jeff Chang's I>Can't Stop, Won't Stop[/i], and these are some upstanding dudes. Like Benji Melendez (who lead the GBs) is still working in gang prevention after 30 years. Maybe he and the crew would only stand to make a few hundred or thousand off a legit reissue but to me, they've earned that money.

It's just being realistic, that's all. Hey, I hope dudes can get a lot of money out of whatever reissue that's being sold. I guess my point is that exposure and what can be done with that is more important monetarily than what can be obtained from record royalties on a small project like this. Basically, a bootleg re that shines some light on the group > boycotting the reissue and keeping the group in the dark. It seems to be a moot point, though, since I now see that there's a legit re in the works. That's great- the Ghetto Brothers can now get the attention and acclaim they deserve as well as that $2.99 Long John Silver plate

Seriously though... that is a pretty nice record

Maybe it is not a selling point for you or me, but it is definitely a selling point for the rapp masses and has been long before this generation... I mean with the whole gangster rap boom and "keeping it real" in the early 90s that was when I started seeing people actually considering how deep an artist's criminal or street ties were.

Nah, that schitt wasn't the main fuckin' focus until recently. I mean to the point where that schitt was more important than the music itself. In fact, whatever... I'm not even gonna debate this fuckin' bullschitt on this cotdamn internet messageboard.... i don't care one way or the other about nunna this dum azz schitt anyway lolol

I hear you... just saying.

You know I like to talk shit about rapp.