DIZZEE RASCAL: YAY OR NAY?

2»

Comments

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    neigh

this nay surpirises me...

my grime likes are very few and far between. dizzee rascal's voice annoys me but i get why people like him. i think he's talented but not for me. i like some of kano's stuff, and some roll deep stuff. i heard the new roll deep album is crazy but i haven't heard it yet.

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    Nah, Roll Deep have sucked for a while, they're the cornier side of Grime... it's all about Ghetto...

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    dizzee is but i guess the new album is more straight. hopefully in a good way. features with ugk anyway i definitely check it out
    kano, wiley, jme, lethal bizzle, tinchy stryder. so many mcs with more flow than boring us shit. did i mentioned that dizze is live?

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    dizzee is but i guess the new album is more straight. hopefully in a good way. features with ugk anyway i definitely check it out
    kano, wiley, jme, lethal bizzle, tinchy stryder. so many mcs with more flow than boring us shit. did i mentioned that dizze is live?

Geez yeah, a feature with UGK, what a terrible look

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    neigh

my grime likes are very few and far between. dizzee rascal's voice annoys me but i get why people like him. i think he's talented but not for me. i like some of kano's stuff, and some roll deep stuff. i heard the new roll deep album is crazy but i haven't heard it yet.

the new roll deep album is the album they should have made like 3 years ago, except it's 3 years later and wiley isn't on the album... whoops... the new mixtape by Trim, ex-roll deep, is SICK SICK SICK...

oh, on the brighter side, wiley's new LP comes out soon and it looks to be good... the bad thing is almost 75% of the record has already come out on vinyl or mixtapes put out by wiley himself, so i might not even buy it as it's redundant...

dizzee has really changed from his first LP, which is one of the best debut records by any artist in the last 10 years...

first off, most of his tracks are at hip hop tempo now, not garage tempo... much much slower. all of the tracks i have heard from the new record (pussyhole, sirens, hard back industry) are this Neptunes-like tempo...

second, he doesn't rhyme doubletime any more, it's like he threw out all his UGK and Twista records...

lastly, his voice has lost that weird, vulnerable, crack that made it so interesting... he has settled into this "elder statesman of grime" thing... he sounds cocky, but not as animated or interesting as he used to... i can't say i am looking forward to the album too much and i still play the hell out of the first two...

SIRENS SUCKS!!!!!! that song is garbage... like a bad Limp Bizkit track... the whole "i break the law and i will never change" breakdown over the rock guitars=totally fucking Rage Against the Machine level gayness...

oh and s*sch*, i still like wu tang...

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    tinchy stryder

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    neigh

the new roll deep album is the album they should have made like 3 years ago, except it's 3 years later and wiley isn't on the album... whoops... the new mixtape by Trim, ex-roll deep, is SICK SICK SICK...

oh, on the brighter side, wiley's new LP comes out soon and it looks to be good... the bad thing is almost 75% of the record has already come out on vinyl or mixtapes put out by wiley himself, so i might not even buy it as it's redundant...

dizzee has really changed from his first LP, which is one of the best debut records by any artist in the last 10 years...

first off, most of his tracks are at hip hop tempo now, not garage tempo... much much slower. all of the tracks i have heard from the new record (pussyhole, sirens, hard back industry) are this Neptunes-like tempo...

second, he doesn't rhyme doubletime any more, it's like he threw out all his UGK and Twista records...

lastly, his voice has lost that weird, vulnerable, crack that made it so interesting... he has settled into this "elder statesman of grime" thing... he sounds cocky, but not as animated or interesting as he used to... i can't say i am looking forward to the album too much and i still play the hell out of the first two...

SIRENS SUCKS!!!!!! that song is garbage... like a bad Limp Bizkit track... the whole "i break the law and i will never change" breakdown over the rock guitars=totally fucking Rage Against the Machine level gayness...

oh and s*sch*, i still like wu tang...

I've yet to hear the new Dizzee but will be checking it out shortly. I greatly enjoyed his last two albums and would wager that they would still stand up today were I to put them on rotation again.

Am a bit gutted to hear that he's moved away from his earlier sound though, however I will hold back judgement until it drops.

Roll Deep have, alas, failed to interest me for some time. Will check out the new Wiley but I must confess that his last album didn't really do it for me as much as Treddin' On Thin Ice.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Nay.

I dont even know what the dude is saying.

• CraigCraig 269 Posts
    utter rubbish!

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    utter rubbish!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    whoa this new dizz album is good.
    "sirens" sounds more like nwa to me than some uh limp bizkit shit

favorite is fake drum n bass song

• 3RD_Man3RD_Man 213 Posts
    Or it could only be that you are a language snob.

As far as I know they speak American over in England where he's from.

Wow.... and I thought they spoke English... must be seriously out the loop...

b/t/w... What is this American language you speak of? Do they speak it in Canada too?? Forget oil, Godamn Americans are even hijacking the English language for their own...

• dgriotdgriot 388 Posts
    whoa this new dizz album is good.
    "sirens" sounds more like nwa to me than some uh limp bizkit shit

favorite is fake drum n bass song

I hated Sirens when I first heard it w/ the video, but it's grown on me a bit. Overall, it's okay to me. Seems he's purposely distancing himself from grime and going more towards a 'traditional' (for lack of a better term) hiphop sound - a transition album where some stuff works, others don't.

I just hope there's a commercial for this that uses the phrase, "Featuring the new hits 'Pussyhole' and 'Suck my Dick'!"

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    this album is bad. 2 tracks are good (sirens and pussyhole) and 1 is ok (the one with UGK), the rest is trash.

• I wanna hear the track with UGK...

that track is bonkers..forget where I heard it..prob a blog or something, but I was diggin it. Honestly I have only heard maybe 3 tracks from dude, but enjoyed them all. And this is coming from a guy that usually hates grime or whatever the hell you call this stuff.

• scebasceba 122 Posts
    here's a link to the ugk track: Dizzee Rascal feat. UGK - Where Da Gzs

• hey, what's that song he had a video for(cant remember the name for the life of me)..but I do know that my girlfriend called it "cute"? I dont really remember shit except after watching the video just one time I was humming the melody of it for days...really catchy shit. Anyone know what I might be talking about?

• scebasceba 122 Posts
    Jus A Rascal?

• nah, thats not it...this was more like a cartoony type song/video if I remember correctly. Maybe even animated background in the video. I wish I could remember..that shit was catchy as HELL, plus I would like to DL it for my guhl.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    this album is bad. 2 tracks are good (sirens and pussyhole) and 1 is ok (the one with UGK), the rest is trash.
    no

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    the new album is garbage. it made me sad

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    nah, thats not it...this was more like a cartoony type song/video if I remember correctly. Maybe even animated background in the video. I wish I could remember..that shit was catchy as HELL, plus I would like to DL it for my guhl.

"Fix Up, Look Sharp" maybe ???

The new lp is ...

nah, thats not it...this was more like a cartoony type song/video if I remember correctly. Maybe even animated background in the video. I wish I could remember..that shit was catchy as HELL, plus I would like to DL it for my guhl.

I suspect it would be Dream - the one that samples Happy Talk. Undoubtedly his most commercial song so far and still sticks out like a bit of a sore thumb on Showtime.

The new album's not bad but it's not really flooring me the way Boy In Da Corner and Showtime did when I first put them on. I've always championed the grime sound and felt that having someone like Rascal in the mainstream was great for the UK scene in general.

While I'm not hating a lot of his new album (though that dnb track is truly shit) I wish he'd settled more on what sound he wanted rather than an album full of songs wearing the US influence on their sleeves with some grime tracks thrown in to satisfy his core fanbase. The track with UGK is fire though and maybe the rest of the album will grow on me.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    (though that dnb track is truly shit)
    no way! coprod by shy fx! that might be my favorite track

this album is so much less boring than showtime

(though that dnb track is truly shit)
    no way! coprod by shy fx! that might be my favorite track

this album is so much less boring than showtime

Each to their own but to me it didn't sound much different from the hundreds of drum n bass remixes of rap tracks i used to buy in the late nineties. In fact I think my main problem with the album as a whole is that it feels a lot safer than the experimental sounds of Showtime and Boy In Da Corner.

• http://youtube.com/watch?v=piCbcB7f0js

"Dream"..thats the one I was talking about. My girl loved that joint. I enjoyed it too..so fucking catchy. I gotta check out his other joints..ive only heard 3 of his songs.."Look Sharp",the UGK track, and "Dreams"

what should I check for?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    You gota love anyone who digs Bugsy Malone.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=piCbcB7f0js

"Dream"..thats the one I was talking about. My girl loved that joint. I enjoyed it too..so fucking catchy. I gotta check out his other joints..ive only heard 3 of his songs.."Look Sharp",the UGK track, and "Dreams"

what should I check for?

You can't really go wrong picking up the first two albums, pretty consistent all the way through. Boy In Da Corner is the more upbeat of the two. It's been a while since I pulled them out so forgive me if my memories off but Jus A Rascal and I Luv U are both entertaining tracks most similar to the style you've heard.

• TaTaTaTa 2 Posts
    NAY compared to the other albums. Im a big fan of his but i feel its the weakest link of the 3 albums.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I've never listened to an album of his before this one, just heard the singles. But I'm loving this album. Good all the way through, with a couple of weak tracks. Where's Da G's is just too good.