Anti-anxiety Techniques

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited April 2007 in Strut Central
Whats up people, I'm trying to come on back the board in small bits. Some of y'all know I've had some crazy real-life moments happen over the last several months. dealing with them has been a real experience in the harsh realities life can bring. and at times I've found myself having some serious anxiety attacks. Not having medical insurance, docotr visits and prescriptions have been mighty pricey. does/ has anyone here had to deal with this type of internal issue and if so is there homeopathic methods you can recommend? Right now I'm on some walk an hour a day, cut all caffeine and meditate as long as possible routine. but it doesn't always seem to get the job donemedical strut what do y'all do?

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    breathe.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Kava root
    Breathing
    Punching cardboard boxes

(i had my first couple panic attacks of my life some weeks ago- awful, no fun)

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

Oh sith! It looks serious!
    I don't have the solution A**m but I hope you get better soon.
    I suggest you eat a healthy food, walking is good too but why don't you try the bike?
    Or maybe try to swim. I tried everything, swimming is one of the best exercise.
    By far the best is the gymnastic (don't laugh!) / massage.
    Cheers.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I've had a similar last few months, and when it gets particularly bad, I just exercise until I'm exhausted. It helps you sleep, which is the hardest thing, I find. Of course, poor sleep leads to a downward spiral of being edgy/frustrated, which leads to more anxiety, etc. Talking to people helps too. Not even about what's bothering you per se, but just engaging your mind in thinking about other things, and feeling connected to other people.

And when all else fails, booze. Not necessarily homeopathic, but it does the trick. Sometimes. Anyway, best wishes, man. I'm just finally coming out of the woods myself, so I can appreciate how tough things can be.

• And when all else fails, booze. Not necessarily homeopathic, but it does the trick. Sometimes. Anyway, best wishes, man. I'm just finally coming out of the woods myself, so I can appreciate how tough things can be.

Just acknowledge what type of drunk you are. This may work for people, but with me its the worst thing ever...

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Bong Hits & Blow Jobs usually do the trick.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

And when all else fails, booze. Not necessarily homeopathic, but it does the trick. Sometimes. Anyway, best wishes, man. I'm just finally coming out of the woods myself, so I can appreciate how tough things can be.

Just acknowledge what type of drunk you are. This may work for people, but with me its the worst thing ever...

Well, yes. If drinking intensifies your negativity, then that's not the route to go. I tend to be a happy/oblivious drunk, so it has worked for me.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    Bong Hits
    False!

Blow Jobs
    True!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Posting on soulstrut is obviously your best option for anxiety relief.

• One of my psych professors, Tom Borkavec, is a leading researcher in anxiety. He is a huge fan of Diaphragmatic Breathing. It's similar to meditation, but more physical than mental.

Becoming aware of the physical manifestations of anxiety has helped me a great deal. By meditating and actively trying to completely relax on a regular basis, it became easier for me to notice when parts of my body were tense (not while meditating), and then relax them immediately. Stomach, shoulders and face muscles were the main ones I kept noticing were tense.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    Bong Hits
    False!

i say no to bong hits. i had a really bad panic attack after smoking a blunt a few years ago and ever since then haven't touched the stuff.

i think exercise (losing weight if you're overweight), eating healthy, meditating, and all that good stuff are keys to supressing anxiety. i think a lot of it's mental too so you just gotta get into a rhythm, be happy, and check yoself before you wrek yoself.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    supposedly working out 3 times a week can help manage anxiety and depression. A walk might not be cutting it. Its not a quick solution but its a long term thing. Get into a regimen and try to stay on it. You will see results fast. Breathing also does help for the attack itself. Like big deep breathes into your stomach. Fill up your whole lungs. and if all that dont work, just ask around for some xanax. Its not hard to get at all. But i hope you feel better man. Anxiety attacks are terrible. I havent had one in a while, but ive hit some pretty crazy low periods in my life and had to deal with them when i felt overwhelmed or when some wild shit was going down. I turned to drugs, which honestly made things worse. Booze helps sometimes, but sometimes it can make it worse. Depends on you and how u react to drinking.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    A friend of mine found Cognitive-behavioral therapy helpful. Of course it all depends on your situation, but if you are overwhelmed with anxiety in certain situations, it could be helpful. I'm biased though, since i study psychology and we're constantly bombarded with good words about CBT, but it definitely helps some people. Regardless, I hope you find the solution that works for you and get better.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    do you have access to any

?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    cut all caffeine

This is smart.

Also, my friend told me something that was enlightening. That there's a difference betweent "relaxing" and "releasing". I think exercise and talking to people fall into the latter.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Exercise.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    do you have access to any

?

I went to the doctor a few days ago and had this prescribed to me. I just finished a 2 hour walk which definitely calmed me a bit.

I'm not too keen on using the Xanax though, at the same time I've pretty much cut the weed from my everyday as well. I smoke to enjoy and if I can't enjoy I'm just wasting perfectly good weed

thanks for the suggestions so far, Otis that breathing technique is something I'm going to look deeply into and hopefully practice well. I hope to be back on the board as the guzzo y'all love to hate soon enough

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Damn dude,
    you know what's funny. Supertoaster got on MSN THIS MORNING and told me he's coming back to soul strut!

I think this could be the most theraputic thing for you. It certainly will be for me!

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

Think positive thoughts.

Avoid caffeine and sugar.

Listen to a Steve Halpern album.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Go to TJ and get some valium.

Good luck, man. Remember, it's a;; part of life. What doesn't kill you makes you less of a pussy.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    What doesn't kill you makes you less of a pussy.

I think that's completely false. Certain things in life can demoralize and severely limit what you can accomplish. Anxiety is one of them. Ofcourse, this is only if you have the expectation and desire to live the "good life" like everyone does. On the other hand, you gain a whole lot more meaning in life when you face such obstacles.

Breathing is one of the most important things a human can do. For example when people get nervous, they tend to hold their breath. Conscious breathing from the diaphram is one of the recommended techniques as many others have said, especially when you start to get overwhelmed. Breathing in through your nose, and breathing out through your mouth for a good 7 or 8 seconds, I believe. Sighing also realeases tension in your body.

Stay up my man.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    I have bad anxiety/depression, I think--not sure. I havent overcome it or anything but I can say that since Ive starting eating healthier, Ive generally felt better. My body feels good and it helps relax my mind.

Some sort of exercise seems to be what works for a lot of people, whether it is breathing or riding a bike. I just put on the headphones and ride my bike. I've noticed that it helps a lot more when I ride my bike to a place like school or to my job. Its like I am accomplishing something I guess. Also it really helps that I love riding around with headphones on so it makes it worthwhile.

Is it worth taking medicine? I rarely take medicine for anything unless absolutely needed. Im fine the way I am so I guess there is no need to, but I always wonder if I should try it, that is if I actually do have anxiety/depression.

Getting surrrrious in herre.

• Sorry to hear it, dude...

I suffered from some bad Anxiety for a while...brought about by dizziness from the ear in the avatar.

Anyway, went to a behavioral therapist for a while, and these were his suggestions:

Breathe. Diaphrametic breathing, as mentioned up top, was his prescription. Do at least five minutes a day, by yourself. Try not to think about anything.

Also, when you realize that you are getting anxious, reflect on the fact that Statistically speaking, the odds of something bad happening to you are, more than likely, infinitely small. I had problems speaking and standing in big, open spacs- then he asked, what is the worst that can happen? (I answered I faint). And, what would happen then? (someone would take care of me. Then, I'd get up. Then, I'd deal with that.) And what are the odds of that happening? (its never happened before, so very low). And, if it did happen, is that so horrible? (no. I'd live.)

By putting rational thought in between the anxiety driven thoughts, you can talk yourself down.

Also, realize that you are going to have anxiety in your life. Learn to recognize it, accept it, and deal with it.

(This was about a year ago...That is what I remember from everything. you need any help, holleurate.)

What doesn't kill you makes you less of a pussy.

I think that's completely false.
    How can that be COMPLETELY false? Please to prove it or use someone else to make your point. Thank you.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    going along with what everyone is saying about breathing, i try to remember to do this: beat-boxing or whistling. maybe i'm crazy, but it makes total sense to me. it involves breath control, and the release. plus it gives you something to be creative with. make up your own beats, or replicate your favorite hip-hop track. OR try whistling the theme to the andy griffith show ("the fishin' hole"). i'm not even trying to be funny, but this helps for me.

or from what i've seen on TV of you, you could RAP, SON!

"...mom's spaghetti"

• What doesn't kill you makes you less of a pussy.

I think that's completely false.
    How can that be COMPLETELY false? Please to prove it or use someone else to make your point. Thank you.

I'm sure Yuichi will add a reply himself, but its like saying 'only the strong survive' - while it might have some machoistic or intrinstic affirmative appeal, everyone survives, until they die

The term 'pussy' as you use it above isn't an objective measure of any dimension of anyone's life

It's funny when people take something written in jest seriously and get sand in their vaginas.

Take a chill pill.

I liked yuichi's comments, otherwise. Especially the breathing thing.

I get real bad public anxiety. It used to be bad when I dj'd twice a week. I just have to remind myself who I am.

• It's funny when people take something written in jest seriously and get sand in their vaginas.

Take a chill pill.

lets just say 'don't give up your day job'

It's funny when people take something written in jest seriously and get sand in their vaginas.

Take a chill pill.

lets just say 'don't give up your day job'

Nice try. D-

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    I've had some bouts with panic attacks/high anxiety over the years.
    Cutting caffeine is a superb start.
    Lot's of sleep is also key.
    Xanax work great, when shit gets really hairy.
    I also take a product called Highlands Calms.
    I get them at the local Co-op/health food store.
    Basicly a bunch of herbs that chill you out, or at least their
    placebo effect works wonders on the brain.
    Try those man, they worked for me.
    Good luck, and know this will all pass.
    But even when it does treat yourself right cause, it can come back with a quickness.